Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the wife decided she wanted Kayaks really bad so I was forced into the $5000 endeavor to make it happen. Turned out pretty good with the Ridgeline. We've taken them out 3 times this summer so far.

·
Registered
2018 Touring (🍁) - Deep Scarlet Pearl
95 Posts
Must have cost more to get the kayak in Seahawk colors, too...

(Yes, I see that hitch cover)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
I have discovered long ago that if you get into a new hobby, for many of them you quickly learn that there are a multitude of add-ons, upgrades, accessories, safety gear, storage and transportation, tricks&tips doodads and other associated sundries and gadgets that can end up costing (way) more than the core components themselves!

How was that for a run-on sentence? :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
42 Posts
Well, the wife decided she wanted Kayaks really bad so I was forced into the $5000 endeavor to make it happen. Turned out pretty good with the Ridgeline. We've taken them out 3 times this summer so far.

View attachment 395120
I'm looking to buy a 12' sit in kayak myself and to transport it on my Ridgeline (along with a canoe) What brand / model kayak is that and do you like it? I am wondering the best way to transport a canoe and kayak with my Ridgeline?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm looking to buy a 12' sit in kayak myself and to transport it on my Ridgeline (along with a canoe) What brand / model kayak is that and do you like it? I am wondering the best way to transport a canoe and kayak with my Ridgeline?
There are a couple of photos on here where people used the Vantech P3000 paired with roof rails and cross bars to haul a canoe. You should also be able to fit a Kayak on top of the P3000 beside the canoe.

As far as what brand, I personally have a mid tier Wilderness systems 10' Kayak and an 11' Perception from Dick's. Both work well for their intended use which is a mild stream and a lake. If you plan to kayak long distances along side a canoe, the wilderness systems kayak is nice because it has a drop skeg.

Good luck!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I used the hitch extender to transport my 12' yak this summer, works really well. I'd be lying if I said I didn't take a hard look at OPs setup though. That Leer looks really good on a Black Edition.

You don't have to justify your want for a Leer cap to us. There are much cheaper ways to transport 2 kayaks.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You don't have to justify your want for a Leer cap to us. There are much cheaper ways to transport 2 kayaks.
Im not justifying the Leer purchase mostly because those setups look absolutely terrible and I wouldn't be caught dead doing those on my rig.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have discovered long ago that if you get into a new hobby, for many of them you quickly learn that there are a multitude of add-ons, upgrades, accessories, safety gear, storage and transportation, tricks&tips doodads and other associated sundries and gadgets that can end up costing (way) more than the core components themselves!

How was that for a run-on sentence? :ROFLMAO:
Try buying your kid a lizard...

·
Registered
957 Posts
I agree with tleavitt on the Leer cap...I don't like the looks but the issue for me is transporting taller stuff and the limitations vs an easily removal soft tonneau cover. I just have too many transport options that would be limited by a cap...

On the kayaks: Costs in reality are $179 ea kayak (Pelican Trailblazer 10 ft when on sale at Dicks), $35 ea for a decent recreational paddle, $30 ea for vests and $7 for a set of ratchet straps at Harbor Freight.

Roughly $500 for two people to participate. I'm an experienced boat owners as well as a Grumman canoe and a Sea Doo. We still enjoy these recreational kayaks and take them places most never will without issue...I carry in the bed of the G2 side by side with the tail gate up, tonneau folded (Trifecta) and one 10 ft ratchet strap to secure the kayaks across the top rear cleats.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts