Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What’s wrong with the Ridgeline rollout? Let me count the ways and invite you to add to the list:

1) To this day, Honda has not stated a hard target date for Ridgelines to be available for sale.

2) No dealer I have spoken to in Southern California (or elsewhere) knows of a specific date they will receive their allotment. (One dealer told me via email on May 31, “I will have a 2017 Honda Ridgeline in stock in the next 2-4 business days;” but of course he does not.)

3) No dealer I’ve found has brochures on the vehicle.

4) No dealer I’ve spoken with has firm pricing information from Honda. They seem to be making deals based on figures posted on Honda’s site.

5) Many dealers seem to be so unfamiliar with the vehicle that when I specify a trim level, like RTL-E, they ask me if I want a two wheel or all-wheel drive vehicle.

6) Some dealers are convinced they will have a vehicle in the next few days (or say so). Others state flat out that they don’t expect one before August.

7) This vehicle was introduced at the SuperBowl, but is not available for delivery four months later.

8) On this website, filled with Honda aficionados, no meaningful information on availability is offered by Honda. That’s how they treat those of us who are their most loyal fans.

9) Very few of what would likely be the most popular colors (e.g. silver, metallic) are being sent out initially apparently, but lots of vehicles in the more unusual colors (e.g. forest mist) seem to be in the pipeline. The black edition, which is the most expensive, has a fairly eclectic interior scheme that is likely to appeal to a limited audience. There seem to be quite a few of those being shipped.

And so on ...

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
Sorry. I'm going to humbly disagree. I think they are going to build the excitement for the launch. If they unveiled the truck on the same day that they started shipping, they would only get one free media event to billboard their new model. They have done a few simple steps:
- Unveil at a few major car shows.
- Release more details on packages
- Have a major promo event in San Antonio which included a lot of hands-on for the press (which got them good press).
- Time the actual release so that they catch the buzz from San Antonio and print media follow-up (those magazines take time to write and print).
- Oh, yeah.... Just because they come off the assembly line, doesn't mean that they pass all of the quality checks. Ford has been known to hold vehicles on lots for weeks/months before releasing. The only thing worse than no release is a "recall-plagued vehicle" vibe after a premature release.

I'm sure that you, like many of us want everything now. All in good time, my son!..............

·
Registered
456 Posts
I'm going to humbly disagree also

1) It is wise of Honda to not set a sale date or do further advertising until enough production can be moved to dealers to meet initial demand for test drives and sales. And even if they did say you can buy one today, people are going to be pissed that the one THEY want isn't on the lot.
2 - 6) Those are dealer issues, not Honda. Either they do know and can't tell you, they don't know and are lying to keep you on the hook, or they don't know and they are telling you so. Why do you need a brochure when you can download hundreds of photos, price lists and a 80 page press kit from Honda's website?
7) It was announced at a NAIAS in January and Honda said it would go on sale 'later this year'. Their website has said Coming Spring 2016, it doesn't say 'In your Driveway in May!"
8) Thats almost silly. Do you think GM is on the Camaro6 boards dropping secret knowledge? A Honda SUV forum has nothing on the loyalty of domestic muscle car fans.
9) Every post I have seen where someone has placed a deposit or about what a dealer says is on its way is either a Silver or White RTL-E or a Black edition. From Honda's standpoint, you ship the highest models first because that is where the most profit is. Also, if you are going to be heavily advertising the in-bed audio and torque vectoring AWD, you can't have a bunch of FWD RTs on the lot.

It isn't Honda's fault that people are reading rumors on the internet and expecting them to be true.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Compared to what I went through ordering my 2014 Cherokee Trailhawk, this has been flawless. I've been fortunate that the dealer that I am working for has actually had the knowledge to do their job which wasn't the case in the past. And so far I'm not too terribly worried that these trucks won't be showing up in a reasonable amount of time.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Honda is using the Donald Trump approach to this launch. Tick people off and do the opposite of common sense and you will be successful. Hey it works for the Donald so why not?

I figure I will order the one I want now, and by the time it comes in, they will just be calling me to bring my Gen 1 in for the airbag fix. perfect.

·
Registered
189 Posts
9) Every post I have seen where someone has placed a deposit or about what a dealer says is on its way is either a Silver or White RTL-E or a Black edition. From Honda's standpoint, you ship the highest models first because that is where the most profit is. Also, if you are going to be heavily advertising the in-bed audio and torque vectoring AWD, you can't have a bunch of FWD RTs on the lot.
Largely agree. Further, if there is a bit of a buzz and demand for the vehicle and people who just have to be first. Ship the first ones in the crappiest, low-sales volume colors. They are going to buy it if it's anything but pink. Why waste good paint colors if you can use drums of that ol' green in the back of the plant?

Let the market work. Don't buy what you don't want just to be first. They'll produce what sells.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Honda is using the Donald Trump approach to this launch. Tick people off and do the opposite of common sense and you will be successful. Hey it works for the Donald so why not?

I figure I will order the one I want now, and by the time it comes in, they will just be calling me to bring my Gen 1 in for the airbag fix. perfect.
Well success is kind of the projected sales goal. I'm not so sure what is largely successful of being a niche market in some ways yes but others no. However they paired up the RL with the closely identical vehicle the Pilot to pick up any slack. How can they really lose. Together its largely a joint venture where the Pilot will probably do quite well. They know they will sell X amount which to them will be successful outing. If they sell more or get more interest then it would be a homerun. Companies that have their own truck line Honda's numbers would be a considered a failure but to Honda I'm sure they will be happy.

Imo I have liked their quality products over the years but have a real hard time understanding their marketing and customer relations. This time around the RL was based on what Honda really wanted in a budget crunch situation. That bugs me as I didn't get what I wanted but others will be happy. IMO my needs and want list would attract way more bees with more honey. They don't agree. They will still sell a large number anyways.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Wasn't really an announcement but it's posted right on Honda.com, to me that's pretty official.

2017 Honda Ridgeline: Specs, Interior Photos, Features, Updates
You mean where it says 'Coming Spring 2016'

The last day of Spring is June 19. They've got 12 days.

To get more granular, it just says coming. Technically its here, in the factory, on transport carriers, storage lots, at Camp Ridgeline. I don't see anything that says you can buy one Spring of 2016.

·
Registered
26 Posts
You mean where it says 'Coming Spring 2016'

The last day of Spring is June 19. They've got 12 days.

To get more granular, it just says coming. Technically its here, in the factory, on transport carriers, storage lots, at Camp Ridgeline. I don't see anything that says you can buy one Spring of 2016.
Just wow...smh, we'll see in 12 days. I'm sure everyone wasn't thinking that Coming Spring 2016 meant it's going to be a transport carrier in the Spring LOL!

·
Registered
973 Posts
I'm going to humbly disagree also

1) It is wise of Honda to not set a sale date or do further advertising until enough production can be moved to dealers to meet initial demand for test drives and sales....

7) It was announced at a NAIAS in January and Honda said it would go on sale 'later this year'. Their website has said Coming Spring 2016, it doesn't say 'In your Driveway in May!"

1) Set a date you know you can make and then do it early if you can. That way folks are pleased if it was sooner, not pissed it was later or pissed because you won't inform them. THAT is good PR, THAT is the way I did business and it works EVERY DAMN TIME.

7) If it is the 21st, they missed spring. Maybe by one day but still missed. Would anyone be pissed if they said had summer? Maybe a few but a lot fewer! Recognize that although spring technically runs to June 20, common belief is that June is SUMMER...

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
The RL is and always has been a Honda after thought. It's a filler, at best.

·
Registered
456 Posts
1) Set a date you know you can make and then do it early if you can. That way folks are pleased if it was sooner, not pissed it was later or pissed because you won't inform them. THAT is good PR, THAT is the way I did business and it works EVERY DAMN TIME.

7) If it is the 21st, they missed spring. Maybe by one day but still missed. Would anyone be pissed if they said had summer? Maybe a few but a lot fewer! Recognize that although spring technically runs to June 20, common belief is that June is SUMMER...
I can read, and there is nothing that says it will be up for sale Spring 2016. It is still listed in the FUTURE vehicles category!

And it wouldn't matter when they said it would be released, people would still come on a site like this and the rumors would drive them to expect earlier. Go back on the threads on this forum, people were calling dealers in March to order trucks before production started?

Once it is released, 3 out of 4 people that have been complaining about this not-a-delay won't buy one anyway. One month from now this forum will be filled with threads like "Finally test drove one, I'm going to wait for the (rumored next year) 10-speed transmission" or "OMG its only got 7.8" of ground clearance, I'm going to wait for the MMC, I hear it will have a 2" lift kit!" "Dealer told me I can't order Black Edition with beige seats, I'm buying a Titan!".

Like Tommy said, have some patience. People are acting like the cure for cancer is in the center console under those armrests everyone hates.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
This is so funny to me. This whole thread defines the whining referenced in other threads, which is immediately defended as "not whining". Is there ANY facet of this new truck, it's features, it's debut, the marketing, the company, the dealers..... that HASN'T been whined about? :)

Whatever turns your wheel..... >:)

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
This is so funny to me. This whole thread defines the whining referenced in other threads, which is immediately defended as "not whining". Is there ANY facet of this new truck, it's features, it's debut, the marketing, the company, the dealers..... that HASN'T been whined about? :)

Whatever turns your wheel..... >:)
I just wanted to be the first person to whine about Dnick's comments.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts