• Arroyo

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
ROC Founder, Admin
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So what do you think, did Honda make a good choice or should they have gone with one other their other potential names for the new SUT: Havasu or Arroyo ??

I tend to think that Havasu kinda rolls off the tongue easier. Honda Havasu

Either way, the new SUT rocks.

·
Green With Envy Moderator
2,346 Posts
I like the name Ridgeline. I didn't at first, but I liked it more than Havasu.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ridgeline suits the truck's appearance, which somewhat resembles one. The name also connotes ruggedness and solidity, but in an understated way that should appeal to non-traditional truck buyers.

Havasu isn't bad, but likely has little resonance outside the western states. The truck / SUV market is already crowded with the region's names anyhow (Tahoe, Durango, Santa Fe, Sequoia, etc.), and Ridgeline is a refreshing departure.

Arroyo is similarly esoteric, unless in homage to the current president of the Philippines.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Havasu.

Ridgeline infers serious off-roading capability (your typical Jeep advertising shot, f'rinstance). Unibody and FWD-base work against that.

Havasu is more in keeping with the demographic that's going to be attracted to this thing - weekend recreational boat haulers from California and Arizona. IOW, people who are prone to throw money away on pointless toys and other excess (oooo... did I just say that?).

;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I like ridgeline. Honda Havasu just doesnt even sound like a real auto name to me. I do agree with mike tho us target demo folks may find it amusing to tow our toys to lake havasu with something called a havasu but its too far for my to trailer the seadoo anyways so ridgeline it is.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Well I think Ridgeline is longer lasting.

A ridgeline is a spot on a mountain been there for a thousand years, and will still be there in 1000 years.

Havasu is a man made lake with a rebuilt London bridge, that was errected, then had the desert doug out from beneath it, if the western drought continues, it could be high and dry again! ( great place for spring beark though)

An arroyo, is an umnatural rut in the ground, brought on by run-off after the grazzing of cattle and other livestock started in the west, when the vegetation was removed the rain that does fall ate away the ground, so that is not a good image.

Just my opinion, but I think Ridgeline is the best of the three.

Robert

·
Registered
30 Posts
What's in a name? A rose by any other name . . .
Anyway, I like ridgeline more than havasu, but in the end I think the truck will go beyond whatever meanings its name connotes (much like the Element). To me, ridgeline is simply that name for that awesome truck Honda has designed that will revolutionize the truck industry, whether they want it to or not.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have to vote Ridgeline as well from the three choices offered. Before reading delphi7x10's post, I coudn't have told you whether those other two names were something real or something made up (like Acura, for example).

Actually, I would have voted that they were made up words and I'd bet I'd hold the opinion of the majority if the question were polled.

·
Green With Envy Moderator
2,346 Posts
I have to agree with ultimate_ed about the other names. I had no idea what they meant or what they could possibly refer to in the real world.

I guess that I could have Googled them.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Havasu?

Gesundheit!

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Havasu

When I hear 'Havasu', I immediately think of Lake Havasu (AZ), which is HOT. And although the RL is hot.....I am glad I am not driving a truck potentially named after an AZ city. (Sedona holds that honor with the Kia Sedona mini-van, which I almost bought several years ago :confused: ).

I can't find a dictionary meaning....

Arroyo

ar·roy·o
n. pl. ar·roy·os
1, A deep gully cut by an intermittent stream; a dry gulch.
2. A brook; a creek.

Ridgeline

ridge·line n.
See ridge.

ridge
n.
1. A long narrow upper section or crest: the ridge of a wave.
2. A long narrow chain of hills or mountains. Also called ridgeline.
3. A long narrow elevation on the ocean floor.
4. Meteorology. An elongated zone of relatively high atmospheric pressure. Also called wedge.
5. A long narrow, or crested part of the body: the ridge of the nose.
6. The horizontal line formed by the juncture of two sloping planes, especially the line formed by the surfaces at the top of a roof.
7. A narrow, raised strip, as in cloth or on plowed ground.

I like the name Ridgeline....catchy, bold, strong. :D

·
Registered
534 Posts
Oh dear! It was nearly Havasu???? Then it really would have deserved the teasing about being a woosy truck! :eek: Ugh. Ridgeline is definitely tougher sounding, more masculine.

L

·
0 Posts
I like Ridgeline.
It says that the vehicle can be rugged and durable in simple off road situations but doesn't insinuate that it can do heavy duty off road, just gently cruise the Ridgeline.
IMMHOOC. :D

Afterthought: If I tried to say one of the other two names I would most likely spit on someone in the process.:eek:

·
Registered
5,317 Posts
I think Ridgeline was a great choice by Honda,

the other two names under consideration sound like a name Hyundai, or Kia would come up with..

·
Registered
85 Posts
Actually when they first unveiled the concept Ridgeline I thought they were going to keep the name SUT (kinda like CR-V) The first brochure a dealer gave me had "Honda SUT" on the front.
However....having said that I think Ridgeline was the right choice!!!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Well the Havasu Blue color option on the Pilot was dropped after one year.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts