Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ran across this article in the Vancouver Sun about a new Mazda Pickup truck concept. It looks like Mazda is running parallel to Honda by challenging the traditional pickup truck concept. I'll bet it will be a smaller and more fuel efficient the the current RL and have sporty handling, but if Mazda is jumping on-board with the 'active lifestyle vehicle', let's hope that Honda doesn't exit this market segment.

http://www.driving.ca/vancouversun/research-car/news/Mazda+unveiling+pickup/3522968/story.html

·
Premium Member
4,575 Posts
I would be very surprised if the actual truck that eventually is offered to the public looked anything like the artists conception.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
The forward drawing shows it is a two door model while the back drawing shows it will also be available as a five seater. Unless it has room for five (in comfort) I would not be interested. The concept and market share they want to capture is essentially that of the Ridgeline. However, they are calling the truck "a good compromise". I really don't think it will do all the Ridgeline is capable of although I imagine the gas mileage will be better and it should have the Mazda "pep" to it. It may be years, however, before we see this thing in America. Interesting anyway.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Personnaly it looks like there copying Toyota:act035:

·
Registered
635 Posts
Mazda has been reinventing itself the last ten years. I have driven several of their products and have been fairly impressed. I have owned a few Mazda's in the past and switched to Honda for there reliability and support.

Honda and Toyota have been top drawer when it comes to quality and how they support their products. Nissan and Mazda were well behind in quality and support. Their dealer network had a mentality far closer to the American dealers mindset (the customer is always wrong) than Honda or Toyota.
My son now drives a Nissan Xterra, I like the car but, the dealerships still give me an uncomfortable feeling compared to Honda's and Toyota's stores.

My son had a 2006 MX5 Miata, it lunched an engine late in the warranty period and there was no quibling about a replacement engine and a free loaner was included without question. Mazda is pumping out some interesting cars revamping their image. This proposed truck looks to be a variant of the CX series and I would not be surprised if it does not look quite a bit like the show car version. The standard DX50 looks more like left over production from Mazda's B/Ford Ranger series trucks that are still sold through out the world but no longer in the US. A CX series chassis with a bed on the back could be interesting.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Mazda is so lame they used to sell Ford Rangers with Mazda badges, so I don't think they have the ambition to get into trucks or they would have years ago.. Much like the IZUSU PUP was the Chevy's S-10 for years.

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
Mazda is so lame they used to sell Ford Rangers with Mazda badges, so I don't think they have the ambition to get into trucks or they would have years ago.. Much like the IZUSU PUP was the Chevy's S-10 for years.
Ford owns a significant portion of Mazda, so it's no surprise that they'd share components and platforms. Even so far as badge-engineering.

Chip H.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Mazda is lame for selling Ford Rangers with Mazda badges on them. Wouldn't that make Ford the lame one?

You may recall Honda sold many Elements with some Isuzu lables on various places as Isuzu made the vehicle and Honda put their badge on it.

The Ranger/Mazda B series trucks were not awfully sophisticated but pretty duarable. I have had a few freinds that saw over 300,000 miles on these trucks before giving up on them.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
More like: The New Mazda Pickup - a Ridgeline wannabe?:act002:

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
You may recall Honda sold many Elements with some Isuzu lables on various places as Isuzu made the vehicle and Honda put their badge on it.
That was the Honda Passport. It was actually an Isuzu Rodeo. I actually saw one today...on the side of the road with the hood up...

Isuzu also supplied Troopers to Honda, which were sold as Acura SLXs.

Chip H.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Mazda, while not as reliable as Honda, has been building interesting cars that are fun to drive for a very long time.

I first owned a Mazda in 1976 - an RX4. Great engine, but short life. I bought a 1981 RX7 new - and drove it for 120K trouble free and very fun miles. We have owned a 626, a Mazda Millenia S (Miller cycle 2.3L V6), a 1990 Miata, and a Mazda6. In almost every case, the Mazda was more fun to drive than its Honda counterpart.

My sister's CX-9 is a vastly better vehicle than the current Pilot. The Mazda3 and Honda Civic are the class of compact cars. I like the Mazda6 better than the Accord. The new Mazda2 may give the Fit some competition - like the Ford Fiesta will.

As I have complained for some time - Honda is confused right now. Their engines are not EVEN close to best in class. See the thread about the new F150 Ecoboost V6. Honda has zero sporty or sports cars now. And the new Pilot is worse than the previous one.

Wake up Honda!

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
As I have complained for some time - Honda is confused right now. Their engines are not EVEN close to best in class. See the thread about the new F150 Ecoboost V6. Honda has zero sporty or sports cars now. And the new Pilot is worse than the previous one.

Wake up Honda!
I agree with all of your sentiments. I've never actually owned a Mazda but have driven in several and know a few people who have owned them. The 626 always had a very good reputation for being reliable and the Mazda6 is a fun car to drive. Conservative thinking served Honda well in the 90s and early 00's as the other manufacturers were getting a little crazy (Hummer, PT Cruiser etc) but the pendulum is starting to swing the other way where innovation and creative thinking are far more important to the next generation of car buyers than the last.

A recent artcile on Yahoo suggested the very same things in regards to peoples car buying tastes for the future. Honda will always be known for being reliable and that is important, but they are also getting the reputation of being boring, and that could very well be a costly mistake.

For those who wanted to read: http://autos.yahoo.com/articles/autos_content_landing_pages/1523/generation-y-giving-cars-a-pass/

1 - 14 of 14 Posts