Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
06 RTL with 155K on it. Maybe have some sort of front left wheel/axle/mount/steering issue, not sure. When cruising on the highway, if I'm off the accelerator and then give it a little gas, sometimes I hear a very mild clunk that seems to come from the front left wheel and I also notice some squirrel-like steering. It seems like the drive power is not evenly distributed but it's nothing terribly severe. It's been like this probably since I've owned it, not yet a year and half. Not sure if it's getting worse. One thing I noticed recently, when braking from a fairly high speed it felt like a wobble in the left front wheel. I crawled under to check the axles, and mounts - haven't checked the brakes yet. The axles do have some grease leakage on both driver and passenger sides, on the inner boots. The passenger boot has a lot of grease splatter. The driver side just has a little seepage. The mounts under the tranny looked fine. I've been thinking the axles need to be addressed but there's no clicking noises, just this squirrely acceleration on the highway that tends to bother me. Not sure if this is a nuisance that I should just live with (as I have, can't say it's been getting worse over time) or if I should get the dealership opinion. Would rather go with the ROC experts.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
re: The not sure if I have a "problem" outer tie rod end

Could be your axles or driveshaft imbalance. I get a little shake under acceleration. I still have original axles at 200k. Mine mainly shimmys when turning and accelerating though

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Felt a tad ambitious today so I took the front left wheel off to inspect thinking it might be the brakes, a loose caliper or something. That wasn't it but I did notice some play in the wheel from side to side. In other words, if I grab the rotor on either side and give it a shake in/out, there's a noticeable play. It doesn't do this shaking from top to bottom. I took the passenger side wheel off to see if it had the same play and it did not. Looking closer at where the play is coming from, the culprit seems to be the outer steering linkage tie rod end. It moves around easily on the driver side but the passenger side is rock solid. So I'm pretty sure that's where my clunk is coming from when I hit the accelerator on the highway and when I have to brake hard, I'm also noticing a wobble or vibration.

Steering tie rod replacement doesn't look too difficult based on one video I just watched. Anybody got advice on the part? I usually like to shell out more for OEM but aftermarket for this part might be just as good. Will probably need an alignment afterwards though.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I replaced the driver side outer tie rod end today and (drum roll)... problem solved. No more squirrely accelerations on the highway. No more subtle clunk when giving it gas. No more front left wheel wobble when braking hard.

For the record, if you ever need to do this job, I highly recommend getting a puller tool to pop the sucker out of there. I got one at Autozone for $35, then you return it and get the money back - gotta love that. It worked like a charm - just stand back when it pops out, it really lets loose. The only other hiccup was getting the darn cotter pin out that was basically rusted in there. Had to punch it out.

Anyway, all's well that ends well.:grin:

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,269 Posts
Glad you resolved it. If you still have the link to the video you found you can add it to one of your previous posts or after this post. I edited your title to help someone else and added some tags, you should be able to add more tags if you think of something else.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Good work. As far as recommending tie rods, I'm a fan of the ones with the grease fitting so you can regrease them. Also, counting the turns when uninstalling and installing tie rods is a good way to approximately align your vehicle (assuming it was aligned before the change and the tie rods are the same length) but only an alignment will get you 100% - my heads up if you didnt know. Cheers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts