Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Something has been rolling back and forth inside my dash since fall began...presumably an acorn or two. I don't want to get involved in taking the entire dash apart, but I see some sort of end cap on the right hand side when I open the passenger door. Does that come off easily? If so, will I be able to access inside the dash, and assuming I take a sharp right turn, have them roll to that side so I can grab them? Any thoughts? I am a girl...not a mechanic! :cheerleader:

·
Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,804 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I learned a few things today. The end cap did come off pretty easily, but you can't get to anything since it' s chock full of wires and other stuff. So I decided to remove the glovebox as suggested. That went fairly well, and I did get the opportunity to clean a TON of debris from the cabin air filter. That was a plus! I couldn't however get to the part of the dash where the offending item is. It's in the upper dash, and rolls back and forth the entire length of it when I go around turns. Sounds like the ball in a roulette wheel when it spins. I don't think I'm going to be able to do anything about it. I don't want to mess with the area where the airbag is and I also don't want to tear the whole dash apart and disconnect things. I am hoping that it will eventually lodge itself somewhere, but then again, it's already been months! May be time to trade her in.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Do you think it is in the Duct work?

Maybe pull the cabin filter out and drive around without one for awhile to see it you can get it to roll into there?

·
Registered
161 Posts
I wouldn't give up on it just yet. Fortunately, pulling the dash apart in the Ridgeline is not that difficult. Finding the noise source may be harder to identify, but given time and patience I'm sure you'll find it.

I tore my dashboard apart numerous times trying to find an intermittent rattle only to find that it was the windshield washer fluid reservoir banging against the side of the truck. Apparently, it was a common issue that some people on this forum were able to help me identify. Though it was outside, I swear it sounded as if it was coming straight from the dashboard.

·
Registered
2007 RTL Steel Blue
519 Posts
Are you sure that it's inside the truck, and not outside under the cowl at the base of the windshield? Coud be in the channel where the wiper linkages are. Check under that black cover.

·
Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,804 Posts
So I learned a few things today. The end cap did come off pretty easily, but you can't get to anything since it' s chock full of wires and other stuff. So I decided to remove the glovebox as suggested. That went fairly well, and I did get the opportunity to clean a TON of debris from the cabin air filter. That was a plus! I couldn't however get to the part of the dash where the offending item is. It's in the upper dash, and rolls back and forth the entire length of it when I go around turns. Sounds like the ball in a roulette wheel when it spins. I don't think I'm going to be able to do anything about it. I don't want to mess with the area where the airbag is and I also don't want to tear the whole dash apart and disconnect things. I am hoping that it will eventually lodge itself somewhere, but then again, it's already been months! May be time to trade her in.
Good Girl Michele, next we will have you doing your own oil changes :)

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Had a similar issue right after I bought mine. Found a big open parking lot and did several hard right and left turns until it lodged someplace and it's been quiet since.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Maybe just remove the glove box first?

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9130&highlight=pollen+filter

Take a credit card and pry off that cover (end cap). Are you sure its not something in the glove box?
The dash is really easy to remove. See here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRinggp66DQ

For this second link jump forward to the 4 min mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ej-35kzQLF0

Good Luck and have fun :)
I have removed the dash on my 2007 and it wasn't anywhere near easy. I would not want to do that again. Removing the outer trim is easier but to get to the internals you need to remove the whole structure and that means steering column, seats, console, side panels under the dash and a whole lot of trim pieces including A pillar trim. Honda recommends that some fasteners be replaced too. All in all, a miserable job.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts