Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Despite the Honda advertising and the salesperson extolling the virtues of the trunk being used as a cooler we know it doesn’t perform that function very well due to a lack of insulation ... it requires adding a lot of ice to keep things cool for any length of time. So a proper cooler is called for ... but which one? Well, DriveAllNight on this forum, as well as some guy going by the moniker of CampingRandy in a video on You Tube, have extolled the virtues of the IGLOO BMX 52 cooler as being the perfect cooler for the 2G Ridgeline with a tonneau cover. And that is an excellent suggestion ... if your design specification is "the best cooler that fits under a tonneau cover". I don't have a tonneau cover so that is not a design limitation for me. What I wanted to know is "what is the biggest cooler that will fit in the 2G Ridgeline TRUNK?"

It is claimed that Honda sized the 2G trunk around an 82-quart cooler. - GREAT! Well, it would be ... IF Honda had told us WHICH 82-quart cooler they had sized the trunk around. But they didn’t. So I set out to find a good-size cooler. I took measurements and combed though the dimensions of I don’t know how many coolers online looking for the biggest that would fit. I also noted that the shape of the cooler would make a difference because the slots for the dividers in the trunk make the bottom of the trunk narrower than the top or middle ... so one would either have to compromise on size with a flat-sided cooler, or I’d have to find a cooler where the bottom of it slants inward. Fortunately a number of them that are available do.

In the end I simply made an educated guess based on the published dimensions and slightly-slanted bottom and decided an IGLOO Marine 94-QUART cooler would maybe fit. I ordered it from Walmart online due to their easy return policy if it didn’t fit, so it may be possible to beat the Walmart price of $113 (with free shipping). When it arrived I took it out to the truck and lowered it into the trunk. It dropped right in ... just like it was made for the Ridgeline (picture 1). Would the trunk lid close? Yup - not a problem at all. It sets right on the bottom (in my case, even with the Honda accessory rubber mat). There is very little movement front to back, yet it’s not a tight fit, or even a really snug fit, so it is easily drops in or is lifted out. There is a bit of room remaining on each side (picture 2), and I suppose the cooler might shift sideways a few inches if you were cornering like a fool ... or like I do. But it isn’t going to go far. And if you move it all the way to the right or left you have one bigger space that could hold a few small duffel bags or a soft tool carrier or such (picture 3). And finaly, its 35-inch length is also is a great fit for the cargo area of my VW Golf Sportwagen (which is 37" wide) so it works in either vehicle., and in fact it fits even in my Subaru Legacy sedan if I fold down the rear seats. Now the Miata ... naw, it ain't gonna fit that. Well, I could duct tape it to the trunk lid I suppose ...

Picture 1 - it drops right in like it was made for the 2G Ridgeline. Yes, you can open the lid a good ways.
Trunk Automotive exterior Gas Vehicle door Car

Picture 2 - the remaining space, here on the right side. The same amount of room remains on the left side when the cooler is centered in the trunk.
Product Automotive tire Trunk Automotive exterior Vehicle door

Picture 3 - shift the cooler either right or in this case as far left as it'll go and this amount of space will remain.
Hood Automotive exterior Vehicle door Trunk Bumper

·
Registered
935 Posts
The Igloo fits in the trunk also, but always great to have options, and sometimes more cooler area 😎

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Igloo fits in the trunk also, but always great to have options, and sometimes more cooler area 😎

Yup, the IGLOO you recommended is about the only one that will handle both situations (tonneau and trunk) and is an excellent choice for people not needing massive cooler storage.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts