Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had posted this on another thread.

To My ROCland friends,
Since March, been driving the RL like I drove my 97 Jeep. The Jeep consistently got 16 to 17 mpg. With the RL, it was consistently 14 to 16 mpg. I could not comprehend the "drive by wire" system until it was explained to me here. Recently went to Cape Cod, and decided to apply all the advise given here on the ROC, and for the first time, got 23.5 mpg. Here are the principles:
1. When filling your tank, do not top off after the first click off. Anything after that is wasted to the recovery system. I adopted another method also. When approaching the full point, I slowed the flow rate of the pump to avoid air pockets. Full points=1/2 tank=10 to 12 gal etc.
2. When accelerating from stop, through the gears, never go past 2500 rpm. I try to keep it around 2000 rpm. Also, I noticed that if you back off slightly at the shift points instead of continuing to press on the gas, it shifts sooner. Shift points are: 2nd=10mph, 3rd=20mph, 4th=30mph, 5th=47mph. So, if you accelerate to 11 mph and then back off, it will shift to 2nd immediately, etc.
3. Once you reach cruising speed (55 to 60 is best), without going past 2500 rpms, kick in cruise control. If going uphill, and you don't mind lagging behind instead of keeping up with the set speed, thus downshifting a lot, disengage cc, untill you get over the hump. The same if going downhill, cc will downshift (higher rpms), disengage cc and coast, using brakes sparingly.
THESE ARE THE THREE RULES FOR THE RIDGELINE HMPG ACHIEVEMENT. Very simple yet very true. Once you get used to it, you have graduated the drive by wire school.

Thanks Chris (csd)

ps I just had my first oil chg at 6100. the engine seem looser and smoother. hoping to see even better efficiency now. will advise. my 10 cents worth.

OK here is your bonus as graduates; once you have reached the point where your foot knows where the 2500 rpms point is for each gear after crawling up to it for several weeks, you can then start stomping on the gas ( pressing down on the pedal an 1/8 to 1/4 of the travel) and feel the acceleration and hear the roar of the engine, but never going past 2500 rpms!!! you can then say bye bye to the old pedal and cable + carburetor throttle valve set up forever! happy ridgelining you'all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
774 Posts
I tried the "never go over 2000 RPM" acceleration rule this morning. I felt like I was hardly moving. Also, I agree with the 47 MPH for 5th gear. In my opinion, one big way to improve fuel economy would be for Honda to get the 5th gear to kick in at 45 MPH or slightly less. Unless you like speeding through residential areas, your truck will never reach 47 MPH on most side streets. You end up in 4th more often than 5th, at least in my experience.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
534 Posts
We've been trying this. :( No fun for those of us with a lead foot and a need for speed. :rolleyes: I'll let you know how the milage goes...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
141 Posts
Great information here. It's great to hear what factors will improve gas mileage. Just as long as one of you "drive by wire" graduates aren't in front of me, I'll be happy. :p

Still love ya Tex. I would suggest buying another Metro which should give you the gas savings to actually enjoy the Ridgeline. :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
RidgeMe said:
Great information here. It's great to hear what factors will improve gas mileage. Just as long as one of you "drive by wire" graduates aren't in front of me, I'll be happy. :p

Still love ya Tex. I would suggest buying another Metro which should give you the gas savings to actually enjoy the Ridgeline. :rolleyes:
Hey, if you come up to a "drive by wire" driver, just get into the kick ass mode like I do once in awhile. Have you put pedal to the metal and got to 105 mph yet? If not, try it, you'll really be impressed with Ridge.

I had my first fill-up in my "fair-day-ride-to-work" Metro the other day, $2.85 (0.9 gal) at 85 miles. That is 95 mpg!! Ain't that great? It does make me able to enjoy the Ridge for the good times.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
141 Posts
Tex's Ridge said:
Hey, if you come up to a "drive by wire" driver, just get into the kick ass mode like I do once in awhile. Have you put pedal to the metal and got to 105 mph yet? If not, try it, you'll really be impressed with Ridge.

I had my first fill-up in my "fair-day-ride-to-work" Metro the other day, $2.85 (0.9 gal) at 85 miles. That is 95 mpg!! Ain't that great? It does make me able to enjoy the Ridge for the good times.
HAHAHahah indeed had it at over 100 and climbing during my "Break-In" period. This truck has more guts than I would have ever expected. Dealer said "Drive it like normmal during your break-in. So I did. I love this truck!!

You had me on the floor with the 0.9 gal fillup. Guy in the station must have thought "Pump Glitch", takes that to fill the hose. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Thanks for info. I'll try this soon to see how effective it is.

One thing I have noticed is that in mixed driving with 6000 miles have / averaged 16.2 mpg. I keep a log of every fuel purchase.

One interesting note is that I installed a roll up tonneu cover from Access two weeks ago. I did not change driving habits but did experience a boost in mpg. The last two tank fulls were 18.6 and 18.2 respectively. It appears the open bed really does create a drag.

By the way, I love the cover. I had the truck at the Honda Dealership Saturday and came out with everyone standing around the truck. I was there an extra 30 minutes showing everyone the cover and how it operates.

Thanks to the person that posted the first pictures of the cover installed. I purchased it based on the pictures and thread. By the way anyone interested, I bought it from "AutoAnything" online for $369.00 delivered. It took about 3 hrs to install. You do need to be handy with tools. The box did need to be taken apart to install it.
 

·
Green With Envy Moderator
Joined
·
2,346 Posts
I have been trying to keep the RPM's below 2500 as well. I am still on my first tank of this time of driving so no mileage to report. But it is darn difficult to go soo slow from the stoplights/signs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
363 Posts
I dream of getting better gas mileage, but I bought the truck becuase it is useful and fun to drive, not becuase of the gas mileage. I appreciate how all of you have provided excellent tips on how to improve mileage, but for me, driving the truck like grandma just takes all the fun out of it. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
578 Posts
denvrfan said:
I tried the "never go over 2000 RPM" acceleration rule this morning. I felt like I was hardly moving. Also, I agree with the 47 MPH for 5th gear. In my opinion, one big way to improve fuel economy would be for Honda to get the 5th gear to kick in at 45 MPH or slightly less. Unless you like speeding through residential areas, your truck will never reach 47 MPH on most side streets. You end up in 4th more often than 5th, at least in my experience.
Problem here is when it changes to 5th, the RPM is at 1500. If it kicks in any sooner, say 35, you would probably bet at 1000rpm or there abouts and down there, there's no torque to speak of really. It would lug the engine and load it up too much.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
141 Posts
ehaley said:
I dream of getting better gas mileage, but I bought the truck becuase it is useful and fun to drive, not becuase of the gas mileage. I appreciate how all of you have provided excellent tips on how to improve mileage, but for me, driving the truck like grandma just takes all the fun out of it. :)
Think of all the people behind you saying "That Honda Ridgeline sure doesn't have much pickup. What they are saying about it being underpowered must be true". :mad:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
RidgeMe said:
Think of all the people behind you saying "That Honda Ridgeline sure doesn't have much pickup. What they are saying about it being underpowered must be true". :mad:
Hey, I just make up the rules! Does'nt mean I follow them! I prefer being in the kick ass mode most of the time :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
119 Posts
If that's what I have to do to get good more miles per gallon then F*#K THAT! Did I miss a few months is it April 1st?

You have got to be kidding me? Where in world will I be able to drive at 55 or 60 without getting run over? Perhaps the mall parking lot? Fully loaded tractor trailers will out accelerate you driving the way you described.

:eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
578 Posts
Mr Manxter said:
If that's what I have to do to get good more miles per gallon then F*#K THAT! Did I miss a few months is it April 1st?

You have got to be kidding me? Where in world will I be able to drive at 55 or 60 without getting run over? Perhaps the mall parking lot? Fully loaded tractor trailers will out accelerate you driving the way you described.

:eek:
You can do 70-75 and get 22+, I did and do.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
214 Posts
(100000 miles / 20 mpg ) * 3 $ = 15k

( 100000 miles /18 mpg ) * 3 $ = 16.6 k

( 100000 miles / 16 mpg ) * 3$ = 18.75 k

My math may be wrong, use it if you need it.

2500rpm - 3000 rmp and 70 gets me 20mpg and I dont feel to slow.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
460 Posts
the rules tex has provided have worked for me all along and i never feel like im going slow.......some of you friends are speed demons ;) man alive......anyway, at 70 mph my rpm is right at 2000 so keeping below 2500 is very easy without giving up the giddy up factor. using the gas pedal the way tex suggested really does make a difference, especially since OD (5th gear) is set so high at 47 mph. gm and ford have around 40 mph which works much better in city/residential driving. i agree, this is set at 47 mph to increase torque for the ridge. but i like better at 39-40 mph......anyway, this info from tex does work. ive been doing from day one of ownership and it has helped me get 20-22 mpg consistently in mixed driving.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
121 Posts
Tex's Ridge said:
1. When filling your tank, do not top off after the first click off. Anything after that is wasted to the recovery system. I adopted another method also. When approaching the full point, I slowed the flow rate of the pump to avoid air pockets. Full points=1/2 tank=10 to 12 gal etc.

Thanks for the good information Tex.

I'm still not sure I understand the first rule. What recovery system are you referring to? Are you saying that when you top off the gas isn't going into the vehicle? If it is then how is it being wasted? It's not ending up on the ground. The tanks is sealed. And if you're just rounding off at fillups these days, going to the next dollar only amounts to about 1/3 of a gallon. I must be missing something here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,242 Posts
Increasing your tire pressure to 35psi will give some improvment in gas mileage.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,242 Posts
But at what cost for increased tire wear?
From past experience, none. I ran my Ford Ranger and run my wife's Windstar at 35psi. Both vehicles exceeded 50K on OEM tires and the wear pattern across the tread was even. Factory recommended on both was 32ps, same as the RL.
 
1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Top