Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
481 - 500 of 530 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Frontier Pro 4x
149 Posts
Took a test drive in a RL sport. The dealer had none of the upgraded RL's models which I would be interested in. A week after the test drive I did a 1800 mile road trip in my Frontier. For the money Honda is asking I would give up too much compared to my Frontier Pro 4x.

For now I will wait till 2023 or later and compare the RL to other midsize trucks. Hopefully by then some of the quality issues will be worked out on the RL.

·
Registered
21 Platinum White Sport (ETA TBD...)
141 Posts
did a quick search on Autotrader just to see how many base white sports (no hpd etc) I could see nationwide. Set the price at 38500 to again limit packages etc. 50 nationwide, wow.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi,

Just a suggestion, but how about a "permanent" thread that lists the awards the Ridgeline has received? I tried to post something in the Reviews section, but I don't have access.

Awards could be added to that particular thread as they became available. I know that awards are mentioned all over this board, but it might be nice to have them all listed in one place. It would make it easier for prospective buyers to see all the awards in one place...and confirm the wisdom of our purchase! :)

Thank you,
I ordered a Ridgeline RTL-E (red) in March; just received a message the it will be at the dealer July 21-25th. I hope it truly gets here.

·
Registered
81 Posts
The selection of 2021 Ridgelines is broad, so long as you want a Sport trim. The sales manager at a Honda dealership told me he would contact me this morning about the availability of either a RTL or RTL-E, still no call.
May have mentioned this already, but Eastern Pa, Western NJ mostly RTL-E available. Sitting are also Sport. Higher Image Dealers have the RTL-E. What I had not seen (a month ago) was RTL.

There is not an immediate need. I've just been in the market for literally years. My favorite out of all the mid-sized pickups was always the RL but the exterior look just didn't make me pull the trigger. Now that Honda addressed that a couple other gripes I had, I'm more than ready to replace my 2002 Dakota. But it would seem the stars have aligned such that it is not meant to be yet.

Looking for a Red RTL-E.
why not get Lariet Ford or Colorado etc?

·
Registered
2021 Ridgeline Sport in Platinum White Pearl
4 Posts
I managed to snag a 2021 RL Sport without having to pay any market adjustment markup. I had to drive 4 1/2 hrs away (and buy it from my nephew) to do it, but that's worth saving $3,000. I got it at MSRP (plus about $300 for mostly useless extras the dealer decided to throw on there; I can see myself needing wheel locks and door edge guards). After driving my 2008 RAV4 for so long, it's going to take a while to figure out all the gizmos. The drive home made me an immediate fan of the ACC. I'll need to see if I get used to the LKAS; the steering wheel turning itself is very disconcerting. I'll have plenty of opportunity--I need to drive another 300 miles to finish the break-in so I can tow my camper in a few days.

·
Registered
13 Posts
4. Honda has no interest in competing with the Tacoma or other body-on-frame, mid-size trucks. The way they see it, if you want to go rock-crawling, they offer the Talon, Pioneer, ATV's, and dirt bikes which are far more capable off-road than any mid-size truck no matter how many skid plates or lift kits you install. Use the Ridgeline to tow your Talon to the off-road destination and go where no Tacoma can go. Toyota, Jeep, Nissan, Chevrolet - they don't offer products like the Talon. Even if they did want to compete with the Tacoma, they don't have the production capacity.
A solid strategy, and one well reflected in their marketing materials with lots of Honda off road gear present. One thing I found when i had my 16' Taco; finding places to off road with it here in NJ aren't that easy; lots of the trails are setup for ATVs and dirt bikes. If I were to consider wheeling again, I'd absolutely go the ATV +Tow vehicle route.

Plus, chasing the taco means sacrificing the space that to-date, they've had to themselves in truck land. And when CnD gives you the nod as best-in-class truck, you're in a good spot. Will be interesting to see how the Ford Mavrick shakes the space up though. Aimed at a younger audience of course, but can be affordably optioned to go toe-to-toe with comfort seaking (yet value minded) above-average earners. Definitely going to be some overlap in folks ridgeline shopping.

I am shocked that they sold out of the HPD package so quickly though. It's just so expensive for purely cosmetic changes. Who are these higher than average income 64 year olds who bought them up so quickly, lol?

·
Registered
301 Posts
I managed to snag a 2021 RL Sport without having to pay any market adjustment markup. I had to drive 4 1/2 hrs away (and buy it from my nephew) to do it, but that's worth saving $3,000. I got it at MSRP (plus about $300 for mostly useless extras the dealer decided to throw on there; I can see myself needing wheel locks and door edge guards). After driving my 2008 RAV4 for so long, it's going to take a while to figure out all the gizmos. The drive home made me an immediate fan of the ACC. I'll need to see if I get used to the LKAS; the steering wheel turning itself is very disconcerting. I'll have plenty of opportunity--I need to drive another 300 miles to finish the break-in so I can tow my camper in a few days.
View attachment 415253
I don‘t think the ACC is as good on the RL as the Tacoma, but over time I’ve gotten used to it. Not ideal in heavy traffic with lots of slowdowns/speed ups, but fine for the open road.

I’ve also made my peace with the LKAS. If you’re on a long drive, it can be quite relaxing to put on the cruise and the lane assist and just steer with a minimum of effort.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Question is, at what prices...
Exactly- there is a dealer that has a sport marked up $1500 near Phila, week after week they call me and I imagine it is simply because people do not want to pay over msrp for a base Honda. Sure it’s not a base Honda Civic but it’s a base trim of a honda model truck….

·
Registered
Porsche 911 & 8 motorcycles
29 Posts
The struggle is real. I've decided to sell my V8 4Runner and move to a Ridgeline for bike hauling and towing the race trailer. An RTL-E w/the HPD package seems like it would do nicely. Running a nationwide search on CarGurus and I can't find a single vehicle on a lot with pictures. Nearly all are ordered, being built, or in transit. Not a one available now. There are a handful of RTL-E trucks available, but I'm a sucker for those bronze wheels.

I suppose the waiting game continues.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I don‘t think the ACC is as good on the RL as the Tacoma, but over time I’ve gotten used to it. Not ideal in heavy traffic with lots of slowdowns/speed ups, but fine for the open road.

I’ve also made my peace with the LKAS. If you’re on a long drive, it can be quite relaxing to put on the cruise and the lane assist and just steer with a minimum of effort.
I grew to love ACC while driving wife's Subaru so much at times I rather drive the Subaru over my Suburban!! So, I got a Ridgeline with ACC and I am very disappointed! It has hard time keeping speed constant and does not have stop and go, and seriously LACKING in refinement relative to Subaru. If Tacoma is more refined with stop and go, I think Tacoma may have been a better choice for me. I had it down to Ranger LARIAT (expensive) or Tacoma or Honda. I feared the Tacoma had a bad ride quality.
Lane Keeping in Honda is very Good, and better yet it can be turned on or OFF. Lane departure warning thing is true garbage but thank goodness it can be turned off and kept off.
I have 2,500 miles +/- on Honda and got a bad itch to test drive the Tacoma and Ford again.

·
Administrator
19,520 Posts
I suspect getting out of a Ridgeline into a Tacoma or Ranger will instantly reveal the ride comfort and handling advantages of the unibody Ridgeline.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I grew to love ACC while driving wife's Subaru so much at times I rather drive the Subaru over my Suburban!! So, I got a Ridgeline with ACC and I am very disappointed! It has hard time keeping speed constant and does not have stop and go, and seriously LACKING in refinement relative to Subaru. If Tacoma is more refined with stop and go, I think Tacoma may have been a better choice for me. I had it down to Ranger LARIAT (expensive) or Tacoma or Honda. I feared the Tacoma had a bad ride quality.
Lane Keeping in Honda is very Good, and better yet it can be turned on or OFF. Lane departure warning thing is true garbage but thank goodness it can be turned off and kept off.
I have 2,500 miles +/- on Honda and got a bad itch to test drive the Tacoma and Ford again.
My wife drives a VW Alltrak and it too has ACC, which is good. Though I still find it annoying and it leaves too far a gap between the vehicle in front of me. Invariably, that gap is filled by another car, further pushing our vehicle back and slowing down. I almost always turn it off despite it being an otherwise good system.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Interesting. The system in our 19 Ody keeps speed well, but does suffer from “pass gap” as others have noted. I find the system works best in mildly congested traffic, especially if one resigns themselves to the right lane. It also works well on long streches of two lane road where you’re often stuck behind one of those drivers that cant maintain speed but also insist on being at least 10mph under the limit.

our 15 subaru forester does also suffer from pass gap. I suspect most of these systems will have minimum follow distances set too high for liability reasons. The gap gets exponentially worse as speed increases on both cars as well.

Only system I ever heard was better here is the on Chrysler/Dodge/jeep vehicles; which can follow almost too close.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Interesting. The system in our 19 Ody keeps speed well, but does suffer from “pass gap” as others have noted. I find the system works best in mildly congested traffic, especially if one resigns themselves to the right lane. It also works well on long streches of two lane road where you’re often stuck behind one of those drivers that cant maintain speed but also insist on being at least 10mph under the limit.

our 15 subaru forester does also suffer from pass gap. I suspect most of these systems will have minimum follow distances set too high for liability reasons. The gap gets exponentially worse as speed increases on both cars as well.

Only system I ever heard was better here is the on Chrysler/Dodge/jeep vehicles; which can follow almost too close.
Pass gap; I like that. I'm going to use it.

Our VW has the option to set the following distance, which helps. But still... too far in many case.

·
Registered
301 Posts
At first I thought the Toyota implementation of ACC on the Taco was much better, and I still think it’s the best I’ve used, but I’ve gotten used to the Ridgeline.

If there’s a lot of congestion and slowing down/speeding up, I just don’t use it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
At first I thought the Toyota implementation of ACC on the Taco was much better, and I still think it’s the best I’ve used, but I’ve gotten used to the Ridgeline.

If there’s a lot of congestion and slowing down/speeding up, I just don’t use it.
Unfortunately.

My wife drives a VW Alltrak and it too has ACC, which is good. Though I still find it annoying and it leaves too far a gap between the vehicle in front of me. Invariably, that gap is filled by another car, further pushing our vehicle back and slowing down. I almost always turn it off despite it being an otherwise good system.
I sort of find the close adjusted distance good enough at high speeds...70...80.. But had experienced when people speed up pass and after pulling in front of me, slow down ^^%#[email protected]%

·
Registered
141 Posts
Anyone near phila- Keenan Honda has a white sport at msrp with no accessories on the lot. I had two downpayments down and am sticking with my local dealer so I’m pulling my downpayment from this one. If you want info message me.

481 - 500 of 530 Posts