Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

The reality of getting a new '21 RL

94K views 658 replies 115 participants last post by  Darthgodzilla 
#1 ·
#5 · (Edited)
The selection of 2021 Ridgelines is broad, so long as you want a Sport trim. The sales manager at a Honda dealership told me he would contact me this morning about the availability of either a RTL or RTL-E, still no call.

#6 ·
I've been watching the number of Ridgelines drop daily. A local dealer had as many as 8 and now they have 3. Normally, there is about a 2-3 month supply in dealer inventories. There's currently about a 3 week supply and with Honda having shut down production for over a week already starting March 22 due to supply constraints, supply is going to get even tighter. Dealers are having to rely on markups instead of volume right now. This is a terrible time to buy a new Ridgeline with poor selection and high prices. On the other hand, the 0% interest for 3 years through at least May 3 is nice and used car values are near historic highs.

#10 ·
Thank you. I should have mentioned, my budget is $40K +/-, so I cannot get a decked out RTL-E.

#278 · (Edited)
Glad I was searching for a Sport and snagged one last Friday.
View attachment 411467
LOL, you aint getting a Black Edition for under 42k, dealers in my area, if they have one have them listed for 3k over the 45K MSRP right now. I found one in the color I like and had to put a deposit on it a month before the dealer ever got it. RTL-E and Blacks are all sold before they hit the lots. Crazy times.....

#13 ·
I went and looked at a 2021 Black Edition in Pearl White today. It was a beautiful vehicle and EVERYTHING was perfect... too perfect. I was quoted $41,xxx OUT THE DOOR from a local North Texas Honda Dealer. Something was amiss but since it was in writing I figured it was worth a short trip.

The numbers we worked out over e-mail and phone call were in writing. My trade was in writing. Everything was in writing... Something stunk.

We got to the table and everything had to be "verified" as they don't deal in the type of truck I was looking to trade (2020 Ram 2500 4x4) so they had to make a few calls. The price was also a bit up for discussion at this point. Keep in mind I had a firm offer on my trade based on the VIN, mileage, pictures, etc... A good price was in writing but they weren't sure they could do that number any longer. I got up and started walking around.

Long story short, the $41k price was tee'd up for the finance guy hoping to inflate the sales price with this contract, that service, etc... I said I just wanted the truck and he told me the bank wants them to ensure the vehicle is serviced and cared for properly. Yeah... BS.

I asked for my key, to my truck, and no one could find it. Hand signals were shared between salesman and sales manager and I was nearly blocked from leaving.

Long story short... I did not buy the Ridgeline and left with mine.

However, if you are in the market, I will send you my quote for $41k IN WRITING if you want to go to bat.

#15 · (Edited)
That story is becoming more and more typical, unfortunately. I told myself if I could get a White BE for $40-41K, I would do it.

Reactions: Sandevino
#20 ·
There is not an immediate need. I've just been in the market for literally years. My favorite out of all the mid-sized pickups was always the RL but the exterior look just didn't make me pull the trigger. Now that Honda addressed that a couple other gripes I had, I'm more than ready to replace my 2002 Dakota. But it would seem the stars have aligned such that it is not meant to be yet.

Looking for a Red RTL-E.

#23 ·
Congratulations!

#21 ·
I put a deposit on a Radiant Red RTL-E yesterday. They actually discounted it by $2500 which I was pleasantly surprised with based on the whole needle in a haystack thing. It wont be on the lot for several weeks , but that’s ok. I live in Massachusetts and found it at a store in VT. The sales lady informed me that the other red one they have coming in was purchased by a dude in OKLAHOMA:oops: , as he couldn’t find anything around him. He is going to be flying in to pick it up when it arrives. The lengths we go to for our beloved RL’s

#26 ·
I made a deal for an RTL-E on February 24. The dealer said they would locate one at a different dealer and I should have it within a week. After a week, they said they can't find one and would have to wait for a new shipment. At that point they thought it would be the middle of April, but that was before the factory shut down. I hope your dealer was right when they said 8 weeks.

#30 ·
So maybe someone here has some insight on the chip/supply chain issues. Is this a short term problem or will this persist for many months? Just curious how far I need to go to acquire an RTL-E.

It’s been recommended to be patient. Is that based on knowledge of the situation or a gut feeling?

#36 ·
So maybe someone here has some insight on the chip/supply chain issues. Is this a short term problem or will this persist for many months? Just curious how far I need to go to acquire an RTL-E.

It’s been recommended to be patient. Is that based on knowledge of the situation or a gut feeling?
Here's an article on the chip shortage:

#50 ·
I suppose this question is for me? No victim mentality or settling here. My territory has expanded from five (5) states to seventeen (17) so mileage and range were factors along with mild off-road capability at some of the sites. Apples to apples the 1500 ecodiesel and Ridgeline had the features I wanted and needed.

Ram (Chrysler) offered 0% and Honda offered 2.9% so it came down to a financial decision.

#38 · (Edited)
I was able to find a glitch in a pricing at a dealership in NH. My local Honda dealer matched it so I was able to get the ‘21 sport in black for $34.5k rather than $38k. Only issue was he had to go 150 miles away to find one and drive it back to the dealership... I’m in MA, and the Honda dealers in New England seem to have Ridgelines coming out of their ears. Some of the ones in the Boston area have all trim levels readily available. (Edited because I mis-typed and meant to say they had a lot combined rather than individually)

#39 ·
I was able to find a glitch in a pricing at a dealership in NH. My local Honda dealer matched it so I was able to get the ‘21 sport in black for $34.5k rather than $38k. Only issue was he had to go 150 miles away to find one and drive it back to the dealership... I’m in MA, and the Honda dealers in New England seem to have Ridgelines coming out of their ears. Some of the ones in the Boston area have 80-100 on lot in all trim levels.
Not sure what dealers you are referring to, but I live in Massachusetts and there are slim pickings for RTL-E’s. I’ve looked at them all. Both ends of the state, in CT, NH and VT. There just aren’t any. Can you provide names of stores that are hiding all these RL’s?

#46 ·
Reading these posts am so glad I was shopping for my truck in 2019, when the dealers had inventory and were trying hard to sell them.....

That said, the 2021 look is very nice; I understand the scuffle to get one, even for something close to 10k more than I had to pay.

#47 · (Edited)
From the posts above and from what I am seeing, it seems like this story is being played out all over the country over and over. Shame on Honda dealers.

Still looking for a 2021 RTL or RTL-E. Dealers here in Denver are not doing deals via email. They won't even return my inquiries as to whether or not a particular vehicle is available. I won't be driving all over town just to see if a RL is on the lot, and even then most of those are pre-sold. Not sure what to make of the situation. I guess they have my email and phone number on a "do not call or contact" list.

#49 ·
Still looking for a 2021 RTL or RTL-E. Dealers here in Denver are not doing deals via email. They won't even return my inquiries as to whether or not a particular vehicle is available.
There's really no incentive for dealers to respond - they know there's virtually no supply right now and any RTL(-E)'s they do manage to get are either pre-sold or will sell quickly without having to put forth the effort to send an email or return a phone call.

I don't even know if HMA has resumed production yet. They were closed the week of the 22nd then extended the shutdown into the week of the 29th. Assuming production has resumed, it'll be a few weeks before Ridgelines begin delivering again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.