·
Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,801 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
180 Posts
When changing to a tire size different to the OEM standard, the speedometer and mileage will be inaccurate. I recently asked a Honda dealer to reprogram my Ridgeline for the bigger tires I put on. They told me I would need an aftermarket tool to do so. I found a related link online and wonder if there is a simpler fix?

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/buying-maintenance/a33371/how-to-fix-misreading-speedometer/
I haven't seen the numbers but I`d imagine any change would be minimal - lets face it no speedo is super accurate to begin with (most over read in my experience I sometimes think that's intentional so you don't find yourself on the wrong side of the law and then try to hold the manufacturer responsible)

Even going to larger diameter wheels shouldn't make much of a difference as the lower profile tire generally makes the overall the same as it was previously (or pretty close)

·
Registered
26 Posts
I used gps speedometer to compare with my trucks speedo and it seemed to be pretty close. Only off by like 1 mph going from stock 245 to 255.

·
Premium Member
3,872 Posts
^ this... keep an eye on the truck speedo and GPS speedo for a few days and you'll have a good idea of your speed offset, then you just adjust your driving habits accordingly.

I like the Ulysse speedo app for my android phone and tablet. Easy to read if you have the phone or tablet mounted nearby. Someone even rooted their head unit and installed that app on their HU screen. See post #25 in this thread:
https://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/161-2g-audio-bluetooth-electronics-navigation/213214-what-app-have-you-installed-3.html

·
Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,801 Posts
In my 2014 SE with 265's I my speedo was off by about 3 mph. I have a Kenwood HU with GPS so good to go. The thing I am more worried about is having an accurate odometer. I believe the dealer can decline warranty work if mileage can't be proven. Anyone run into that?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Has anyone here tried 255/70R18s? Do they fit? Do they rub?

Only mentioning this because the Cooper Discoverer AT34S only come in 25570R18s if you wanna go for something in the 255 range.

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
At a diameter of 32.1", that size tire would be 2.5" taller (+8.4%) than stock...seems likely to rub and also cause a significant error in speedometer/odometer readouts.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I went with a 255/60-18 Hankook Dynapro AT-M RF10. The slightly larger diameter actually corrected the speedometer error of the OEM tire, which was 1-2 mph fast at freeway speeds (60-70 mph), but now it's spot-on, checked against my Garmin GPS.

I'll be adding the Traxda 2" lift next...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
3,736 Posts
I went with a 255/60-18 Hankook Dynapro AT-M RF10. The slightly larger diameter actually corrected the speedometer error of the OEM tire, which was 1-2 mph fast at freeway speeds (60-70 mph), but now it's spot-on, checked against my Garmin GPS.

I'll be adding the Traxda 2" lift next...
That is the same size and model & brand of tire I use. I do have a question. On mid turn acceleration, do you get oversteer?
Also, have you had any experience with that tire in snow (not sure where you live)?

·
Registered
9 Posts
If there is oversteer I haven't noticed it, and being a motorcyclist I tend to push pretty hard in the corners. And I haven't had the opportunity to play in the snow yet being that I live in the Seattle area - it would take a trip up to the mountains to find snow. I have had the opportunity to tow with these tires and so far so good, and definitely better then the OEM tires.

·
Registered
567 Posts
im running 255/65/18 sumitomo encounter HT and have no rub issues at all, the extra lift is nice. Glad to see others joining the 255 size i think its the best option.

only downside is a few less options for aggressive tires.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I will try this week to get a picture, the wheels are MSW type 48. you can find them on tirerack.com I have had a lot of positive compliments from these. I wanted to do something a little different the handling of a 19 in wheel is great!

·
Registered
145 Posts
I will try this week to get a picture, the wheels are MSW type 48. you can find them on tirerack.com I have had a lot of positive compliments from these. I wanted to do something a little different the handling of a 19 in wheel is great!
Thanks, I found them on tirerack. I'm gravitating toward a similar design, although there are a lot of slight variations on that five paired spoke design. I like the KMC-694 wishbone wheel (18x8, 35mm offset):

but unfortunately it's only available in a satin black and I'd prefer silver, or at least predominately silver. I had not thought about a 19" so it's interesting to hear that the handling is great.

1 - 20 of 112 Posts