Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

481 - 497 of 497 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
what Is the biggest size anyone has put on the stock rims (18) without any rubbing and without a lift kit? I have 2019 RTL-E and I am looking to put some beefier tires on with the stock rims. From the threads here it looks like 265/60/18 will be fine but I just wanted to see if anyone could confirm before I commit to ordering a set.

thanks in advance and pics are always appreciated!!

·
Registered
316 Posts
what Is the biggest size anyone has put on the stock rims (18) without any rubbing and without a lift kit? I have 2019 RTL-E and I am looking to put some beefier tires on with the stock rims. From the threads here it looks like 265/60/18 will be fine but I just wanted to see if anyone could confirm before I commit to ordering a set.

thanks in advance and pics are always appreciated!!
There is no single answer for 265/60/18. That's the size at which some rub, some dont -- which highlights variations in actual sizes by manufacturers.

I dont think anyone with that size however has said "man this rubs a lot". It's always minimal.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Th
There is no single answer for 265/60/18. That's the size at which some rub, some dont -- which highlights variations in actual sizes by manufacturers.

I dont think anyone with that size however has said "man this rubs a lot". It's always minimal.

Thanks. Yeah I don’t want to go too aggressive but definitely want some A/T rubber.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Soon to be part of the 265 clan, tires were on back order 6-8 weeks. Oof.

At least it's all paid for and ready to go once they're in this summer.

·
Registered
2019 RTL-T Forest Mist Metallic
180 Posts
So what exactly is the consequence of "a little" rubbing? A heavy rubber tire rotating with tremendous energy hitting the stationary parts of your vehicle. No big deal?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I searched a good bit, but didn't see a lot/ any info on the Cooper AT3 in 265/60-18. I recently became an owner of a 2017 Ridgeline and made an account specifically to post my results when I get them mounted. I am getting them mounted on stock 18 inch wheels today so should have results soon. I have no lift at all, and have a Traxda 1.5 front, .5 rear kit on the way. Depending how these tires fit, I will install or return the lift kit. Oddly from what I have read, if the tires fit with a fair amount of room, I will install the kit. But if they rub at all, I will probably be returning the kit.

I originally wanted the Cooper Discoverer RTX but that is a tire only allowed to be distributed by certain companies. NTB being one of them, refused to mount that size on my original wheel. Plus there is a local shop that I really like and trust. So I will get the Cooper AT3's through them instead.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
So what exactly is the consequence of "a little" rubbing? A heavy rubber tire rotating with tremendous energy hitting the stationary parts of your vehicle. No big deal?
Maybe not a big deal if the rubbing only occurs at full steering lock when you are not likely to be going fast enough to damage anything. Still, the larger tire means less wheel well clearance all around, which could cause more rubbing on ice build-up under certain winter driving conditions. That already happens on my vehicles with stock tire sizes. It is very annoying and a safety concern when it messes with the steering at highway speeds.

·
Registered
4 Posts
No time to get into a ton of testing tonight as far as rubbing goes, but here are some basic pictures. I will take a comparable "profile" pic when my girlfriend isn't parked right next to me. This is all stock, no lift with stock Sport rims.

I have only driven home from the tire shop so far, but the installers seemed to be fine with the size. I saw them test with one person in the cab holding the wheel while another person outside inspected the clearance. I also have a pretty legit bump into my driveway, so I clocked the wheel all the way in both directions, and pulled in and out a couple times, testing both sides. No rubbing so far.

As far as the tire characteristics, I can only comment on low speed bump harshness, low speed feel, and low speed noise. They are aired at 38 lbs while the Firestones were aired at 31- so keep that in mind as well. The bumps felt less bouncy to me, and now more planted. Like my struts are doing more of the work. Low speed feel as far as turning, accelerating, braking are basically exactly the same as the Firestones. I might be crazy, but I think I noticed a very slight wurr noise at 30mph on a smooth road. Sort of expected. When you get out of the "wurr" rhythm, just as quiet if not more quiet than the Firestones at low speed. This feedback is after a very small amount of driving. I will really pay attention and report back when I drive my usual commute of freeway with residential 25-45 mph roads. Nothing that I overtly hate right off the bat.

I will be testing these offroad when motocross tracks begin to open up around me.

EDIT: It probably helps to include the make of the tire: Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S in 265/60 r18

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
No time to get into a ton of testing tonight as far as rubbing goes, but here are some basic pictures. I will take a comparable "profile" pic when my girlfriend isn't parked right next to me. This is all stock, no lift with stock Sport rims.
This is exactly the kind of comparison that helps! You sir, are a great asset to this thread! Thank you!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Oops....wrong button and it posted early..... :) Pics here.

There is a Traxda 2"/1" kit installed. The wheels have a 32mm offset and I also added some Bora 1.25" spacers. This combo rubbed on both sides forward and reverse at full lock. I removed the spacers and the rubbing stopped.
is that picture with the Bora spacers or without?

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
3,399 Posts
Damn, a 265/65 fit without issues!? thats a whole inch more in radius that a 265/60.
same as the 245/70-R17 which is the popular upsize tire in both the G1 and G2. However, with the 265 and non factory offset with OEM suspension setup, there is a chance that it may rub in some areas. I believe (could be wrong) that the G2 is a bit more forgiving than the G1.

·
Registered
2018 RTS Sport
1 Posts
Thanks for everyone's posts on this thread! Just pulled the trigger on Continental TerrainContact A/T's (265/60/18 of course). Get them mounted Friday - can't wait.

·
Registered
160 Posts
same as the 245/70-R17 which is the popular upsize tire in both the G1 and G2. However, with the 265 and non factory offset with OEM suspension setup, there is a chance that it may rub in some areas. I believe (could be wrong) that the G2 is a bit more forgiving than the G1.
Ah nvm...didnt realize it was a 265/65/17....my old.man eyes should read more carefully.

481 - 497 of 497 Posts