Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

541 - 556 of 556 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Looks super sharp! Congrats. Question: you mentioned 10" clearance?
Thanks. If they were available at the time I would have gone with your Warloards in 17" to get more tire sidewall but I really do love this wheel tire combo. So yes I measured 10" ground clearance at the lowest point in the center part of the vehicle which I found to be a plate toward to front of the vehicle (how ground clearance is typically measured). I also measured 10" at the lowest point toward the rear. So as far as ground clearance goes, figure you get roughly roughly 1" on the tire and roughly 2" on the Traxda lift. With stock clearance at 7.8" and after it all settles you get around 10"! I saw Traxda now makes a 3" kit but I'm happy with my 2/1 front rear.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Thanks. If they were available at the time I would have gone with your Warloards in 17" to get more tire sidewall but I really do love this wheel tire combo. So yes I measured 10" ground clearance at the lowest point in the center part of the vehicle which I found to be a plate toward to front of the vehicle (how ground clearance is typically measured). I also measured 10" at the lowest point toward the rear. So as far as ground clearance goes, figure you get roughly roughly 1" on the tire and roughly 2" on the Traxda lift. With stock clearance at 7.8" and after it all settles you get around 10"! I saw Traxda now makes a 3" kit but I'm happy with my 2/1 front rear.
Its still in the middle, look at your front control arms...... Anyway, how are you getting 1" clearance on the tire? Its only 1" larger in diameter? Thats an increase of 1/2"

·
Registered
82 Posts
I thought so, I've got 30.6" tires as well but barely make 9" clearance measured at the skid plate (Jsport aftermarket) + 1.5" front leveling kit (Truxx)
But, since last year new lift kits came to market I'm curious to know if they somehow have found the way to increase the ground clearance without having to replace half underbody...
No.

All lifts currently available for the RL are just spacer lifts, ie they lift the body away from the suspension. On ladder frame trucks, they primarily move the body away from the frame. This gives us better approach angle and more clearance along the running boards.

If you want suspension clearance, you'd need a suspension lift. Those do not exist for the RL.

So, if any of us want to get the control arms/oil pan/rear diff higher off the ground, the only option is larger tires, which will give us 1/2-2/3" at most due to the tire sizes we are limited to. A spacer lift does absolutely nothing for that type of clearance.

Hth.

·
Registered
82 Posts

View attachment 404057
View attachment 404058 View attachment 404059
What is the GC at the lowest point of your lower control arms?

·
Registered
24 Posts
No.

All lifts currently available for the RL are just spacer lifts, ie they lift the body away from the suspension. On ladder frame trucks, they primarily move the body away from the frame. This gives us better approach angle and more clearance along the running boards.

If you want suspension clearance, you'd need a suspension lift. Those do not exist for the RL.

So, if any of us want to get the control arms/oil pan/rear diff higher off the ground, the only option is larger tires, which will give us 1/2-2/3" at most due to the tire sizes we are limited to. A spacer lift does absolutely nothing for that type of clearance.

Hth.

It seems that there is a way but you’ll have to tear half truck apart.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Its still in the middle, look at your front control arms...... Anyway, how are you getting 1" clearance on the tire? Its only 1" larger in diameter? Thats an increase of 1/2"
Lol, "it's still in the middle" Not sure what you have against how ground clearance is typically measured, which is what I believe we are talking about here. I just plop down the tape and look at the number...not interested in getting into a philosophical debate about it really. You are right about one thing tho, I misspoke about the tire...it increases 1/2" not 1" (Talked myself of the ledge of trying 265/65R18s - and having to form a new club). At the end of the day the measuring tape still says the same thing tho:)

·
Registered
236 Posts
Not interested in debating either. If you measure only in the middle, your not getting your true ground clearance. No big deal, to each their own. Ground clearance should be measured from the lowest part of the underneath of the vehicle to the ground. As I said, I come from the side which believes true ground clearance can only be gained from larger tires. Not all objects when off-roading will only fit in the middle. It’s all good

·
Premium Member
4,013 Posts
Not interested in debating either. If you measure only in the middle, your not getting your true ground clearance. No big deal, to each their own. Ground clearance should be measured from the lowest part of the underneath of the vehicle to the ground. As I said, I come from the side which believes true ground clearance can only be gained from larger tires. Not all objects when off-roading will only fit in the middle. It’s all good
Hmmm, I've got a couple 2500-series trucks at work with about seven inches of clearance under the differential.... that ain't much!

I'd take my minimum ground clearance at the lower control arm all day every day, knowing I can usually pick my path to that advantage. I worry much more about the stumps, rocks and logs in the middle that want to take out an oil pan...

·
Registered
2019 Honda Ridgeline Sport
50 Posts
Thanks! Yeah I think the satin back wheels contrast very well on this truck and the Wildpeaks profile and tread pattern fit the RL nicely. Just aggressive enough and from what I read a really great A/T performer. I like the 2"/1" lift bc it just slightly reduces the rake while giving an all around lift.
Any reason you didn’t go 2” in the rear as well?

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
3,926 Posts

It seems that there is a way but you’ll have to tear half truck apart.
That Baja race truck bears no resemblance to the G2 in any way (other than some remotely similar outer shell) from a chassis perspective. That thing is fully made out of tubes.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Any reason you didn’t go 2” in the rear as well?
The reason I didn't go 2" in the back was because I liked the idea (look) of leveling the truck out but didn't want to get rid of the rake all together - when I put a load back there I don't want to see the rear sag. I saw that 1.5" in the front and nothing in the back leveled it perfectly so doing 2'/1" gave me the lift I wanted and a nicely reduced rake. It almost looks level but look closer and there is still a tiny bit of rake. For me, this was the perfect lift for this truck.

·
Registered
2017 Honda Ridgeline RTL AWD
64 Posts
Great forum. Thanks to all for posts. Here's an additional tool that was helpful in selecting 265/60R18 tires for a 2019 Ridgeline RTL: tiresize. com If you "browse tires by type" and enter your Ridgeline spec, it provides a very nifty chart when you click the "alternate sizes" button:

I ended up getting 265/60R18 Hancook Dynapro AT2 tires as they conform to the chart's recommendations and hit the sweet spot I was looking for (XL construction for off-road sturdiness, not too heavy, 3-peak snow rating, decent price, 60K tread warranty, etc.). No lift on the truck yet, but no rubbing so far. You can see most available tires when clicking on the size links in the chart, and then look at detailed specs. Note the difference in actual size, weight, load rating, etc. between the choices below:

View attachment 397434

Lastly, for anyone doing moderate off-roading or hauling serious weight, I would recommend getting XL ("extra load") rated tires instead of the SL (standard load) rated tires. The XLs are designed to have stronger sidewalls and better tread damage resistance (to rocks, etc.), and are rated to 2600 lbs load capacity per tire. I've also noticed that the stronger sidewalls appear to help with ground clearance.

So far the street ride and handling with the Hancooks at 36-38 psi has been exceptional. I will post an update when I've done some off-road challenges....
Do you have any updates on your tires? Rubbing? Any issues with them?
If I get 265/60R18s I'm going with the Dynapro AT2s or Cooper AT3 4S .
Would you buy them again based on your experience so far?

·
Registered
2017 Honda Ridgeline RTL AWD
64 Posts
Had a Truxxx 1.5 on gen1 RL and was very happy, cv boot fail at about 100kmi.
Now have gen2 RL 2019 with 700 mi and installed Truxxx 1.5 with Yokohama Geolander A/T 265/60/18 tires.
So far very good, smooth like stock ride and no rubbing. I like the simplicity of the Truxxx more than Traxda kit.
Didn't you go with the 265/60R18 Dynapro AT2 tires?? An earlier post on this same thread even shows pics of the Dynapros installed. What happened? Is there something you didnt like that made you change them out right away?

541 - 556 of 556 Posts