Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

41 - 60 of 516 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
What is more likely to make a tire rub on the Ridgeline, extra width or extra height?

What difference does the extra width make for driving?

·
Registered
313 Posts
NICHE Alpine D one piece forged rims (20 X 8.5) and 265/50/20 Michelin Premiers. Don't know the offset but I'll get the specs and post it (and yes, I'll probably be selling the stock rims and tires).

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Here's my Ridgeline BE with Hankook Dynapro AT-M 265/60/18 tires on the stock wheels (I do have the Truxxx lift on there too, fyi). I test fitted the 265/65/18 version of the Dynapro's, but they rubbed substantially on full turn despite the lift. The 265/60/18's don't rub, and ride great, though I've only had a few hundred miles on them. They're a consumer reports top rated AT tire, but really more of an all around tire. They're not E rated, and don't add much weight, which I wanted. Anyway, thought I'd share.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
Thanks...and I misspoke because the ZT735 cables wouldn't fit on those tires anyway. A person would need to get the SCC Super Z model snow cables that fit on 265/60R18 tires if they wanted to try them.

Edit: Looks like that would be the ZT741, per Peerless Chain website.

·
Registered
4 Posts
First Post!! Just got some new shoes. Black Rhino Warlords 17x8 with Falken Wildpeak AT3s 265/65/17. I'm selling the stock set if anyone is interested, PM me an offer, a good one.

Attachments

·
Registered
155 Posts
First Post!! Just got some new shoes. Black Rhino Warlords 17x8 with Falken Wildpeak AT3s 265/65/17. I'm selling the stock set if anyone is interested, PM me an offer, a good one.
That's the best looking wheel/tire combo I've seen on a G2 - nice choice!

·
Registered
56 Posts
So i think I read elsewhere that the stock Firestone tires weight 33 lbs each. Anybody know what the stock wheels weigh? I'm wondering if the extra weight of these bigger tires can be offset partially or entirely by lighter wheels.

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
...I'm wondering if the extra weight of these bigger tires can be offset partially or entirely by lighter wheels.
Yep, that's a strategy that others have used but I don't think anyone has come in under stock weight yet. I'm sure you'll hear from some other folks on this. BTW, the OEM tires spec at 31lbs and the high trim wheel lists at 27.5 lb shipping wt. However, ROCers who actually weighed their stock wheels (high trim) with tires reported 59 or 60 lbs -- manufacturing variances and wheel balancing weights may account for the difference.

·
Premium Member
3,866 Posts
Yep, that's a strategy that others have used but I don't think anyone has come in under stock weight yet. I'm sure you'll hear from some other folks on this. BTW, the OEM tires spec at 31lbs and the high trim wheel lists at 27.5 lb shipping wt. However, ROCers who actually weighed their stock wheels (high trim) with tires reported 59 or 60 lbs -- manufacturing variances and wheel balancing weights may account for the difference.
TPMS sensors and valve stems probably also contribute to the weight discrepancies. I suspect mfrs typically don't include items like that in their weight specs, as someone could potentially install lighter/heavier sensors and valve gear at some point (e.g. - maybe a new TPMS sensor is introduced five years down the road that is half the weight of a current sensor?).

·
Registered
313 Posts
So i think I read elsewhere that the stock Firestone tires weight 33 lbs each. Anybody know what the stock wheels weigh? I'm wondering if the extra weight of these bigger tires can be offset partially or entirely by lighter wheels.
Going to be hard to do going bigger. The stock setup is just shy of 60 lbs (59.8 to be exact). I got forged rims which are typically lighter than cast (Niche 20 X 8.5) . The Michelin was 2 lbs. heavier than the Firestone (according to TireRack) and my new setup weighs 62.2 so that makes my new rims almost identical to the stock ones even though they're quite a bit bigger.

Do I have the record so far, would be interested to hear what others have (notice my valve cap missing in the first pic, dealer forgot to put it back on, nice, huh?)

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
It's pretty hard to find a setup that is close to stock especially if you want A/T tires. I have some of the lighter weight A/T tires and they still weight 42.3 lbs each. Compared to 32 lbs from the Firestone Destination's, it's quite a difference. But honestly, it looks much better than stock and I'm not afraid to push the off-road limits of the truck.

·
Registered
56 Posts
It's pretty hard to find a setup that is close to stock especially if you want A/T tires. I have some of the lighter weight A/T tires and they still weight 42.3 lbs each. Compared to 32 lbs from the Firestone Destination's, it's quite a difference. But honestly, it looks much better than stock and I'm not afraid to push the off-road limits of the truck.
Which A/T tire do you have?

·
Registered
932 Posts
My wheels are lighter than stock, but my tires are 8 pounds heavier so there's that. Still worth it to me.

Reactions: NOVARIDGE

·
Registered
56 Posts
Can you still use the spare when you're running these larger tires? Seems like the size difference would be large enough to confuse the torque management system.

Reactions: nac386

·
Registered
280 Posts
Can you still use the spare when you're running these larger tires? Seems like the size difference would be large enough to confuse the torque management system.
I was wondering this too.

I also wonder about hauling heavy weight or a trailer with bigger tires. There's no chance of them rubbing from the weight, is there? I honestly do not know much about it.

·
Registered
567 Posts
i would like to see one of these weighted down in the bed up to the max rating, then go over a common sized pot hole, or rail road crossing.... the damage would be very expensive as well considering how its designed.

·
Registered
932 Posts
i would like to see one of these weighted down in the bed up to the max rating, then go over a common sized pot hole, or rail road crossing.... the damage would be very expensive as well considering how its designed.
What makes you think there would be damage?

If it's loaded to within manufacturers specifications, there won't be any damage.

Reactions: Shineaholic
41 - 60 of 516 Posts