Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Somebody else can post the story it's funny to me them traditional truck guys must think they lost their minds at Pickuptrucks.com.
I have always said you need to look at many other things beside if it can go off-road.
It seems this is what the majority thinks makes a good pickup truck. they just forget everything else.

·
Registered
3,769 Posts

"We can hear the gnashing of teeth and furious clicking of keys now: "How can an all-wheel-drive, minivan-based, Honda-badged wanna-be truck win versus the industry's latest and greatest real pickup trucks?" Well, the answer is simple: It was the best one there."
:ROFLMAO:

Full story:

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
Although I like the conclusion and I don't think the results would be changed, I would have liked to see the Taco included. Including a towing category may have altered the results.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I think these auto rags (can we still call them that) understand who the buyer is for mid-size pickup trucks, and picked the best option.

·
Registered
5 Posts
How can this be? From many sites' comment sections, I've gathered that the only things pick up trucks can be used for is towing and off-roading.

·
Registered
45 Posts
People told me that my old truck ('07 Frontier) was not a real truck either.
I tore down my old deck and hauled it to the dump in the box. Not bad for not a real truck.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E Obsidian Blue Pearl
116 Posts
No surprise here as Car and Driver had already named the Ridgeline "Midsize truck of the year for 2017, 18 and 19".
Funny reading comments regarding these awards from the Brodozer and "not a real truck" crowd. It's like the end of the world is imminent. While some do get the notion that the RL meets the needs of most light truck buyers, the remaining refuse to accept this. I don't need to tow anything huge. I don't do heavy-duty off-road. I do want a utility vehicle that's basically a truck version of my 2012 Acura TL AWD sedan--my needs have changed over the last 8 years, a comfortable highway-cruising truck that will also allow me to go places the Acura could not venture due to its ground clearance and lack of low first gear (restrictive computer programming).

Except for the Gladiator, which I have zero interest in, I have test driven (or rented) all: Taco, Frontier, Colorado, Ranger, Ridgeline. Taco's new tranny/engine combo is a mess, Frontier is horribly outdated (but finished 2nd for highway manners), Colorado rode about as rough as the Taco, with a cheap interior and well, GM, and the Ranger, while the Ecoboost had tons of torque in the low range and good performance, it was just not the highway machine I want; I also avoid first year models. Ridgeline beat them all out. So the awards do not surprise me at all, esp the fact that iseecars.com rates it and the Taco as the two best light-duty trucks you can buy, new or used, and the two most likely to reach 200K.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Somebody else can post the story it's funny to me them traditional truck guys must think they lost their minds at Pickuptrucks.com.
I have always said you need to look at many other things beside if it can go off-road.
It seems this is what the majority thinks makes a good pickup truck. they just forget everything else.
Love it! (y)

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
You can include me in that comment. When we really need(ed) a "truck" that has a full sized bed for hauling, along with the capability of going off road, we have our Chevy C/K's. When we want(ed) a car with a pickup like box for light hauling, we had our El Camino(s) and now our Ridgeline. Both styles of vehicles serve their individual purposes very well, but they are by no means one in the same.

Bill

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
My brother in law has a nice F150 that I can borrow if need be. It's just that "needs don't be" with the Ridgeline so far - whether my old G1 or the shiny G2.

I did borrow his trailer to haul my little tractor though :).

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
You can include me in that comment. When we really need(ed) a "truck" that has a full sized bed for hauling, along with the capability of going off road, we have our Chevy C/K's. When we want(ed) a car with a pickup like box for light hauling, we had our El Camino(s) and now our Ridgeline. Both styles of vehicles serve their individual purposes very well, but they are by no means one in the same.

Bill
Bill nailed it for me - my Ridgeline IS much like my El Camino was. I owned 2WD trucks ('89 S-10 and '04 Tacoma) for many years and never really enjoyed driving them - but never made the mental connection back to the El Camino until just now. I test drove the Colorado and Ranger, and the Ridgeline Sport last. It's just what I wanted.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts