Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

The Storm Trooper Off Road Adventure Leadville, Summit Area (Very Pic Heavy)

15K views 30 replies 22 participants last post by  EasyStreet 
#1 · (Edited)
The Storm Troopers 1st Off Road Adventure Leadville, Summit Area (Very Pic Heavy)

My first off road trip with the Ridgeline and yes I am one of those people that takes and posts a billion pictures of their vehicle I hope you enjoy. First off let me say I am very pleased with its performance, smooth, quiet, comfortable ride the entire trip and more than adequate off road clearance and traction. Having driven everything from lowered Subarus in places they shouldn't have gone to a lifted fully locked CJ I know my way around the ring pretty good as far as choosing a line, tire placement, and staying out of trouble. I found the Ridgeline to be a great way to see the sights and enjoy the scenery as well as providing reliable capable transportation. Overall I encountered minor wheel slipage in a few areas and got to try some obstacles with and without the VTM4 lock engaged. I found the most effective climbing combination to be VSA on, VTM4 locked, in 1st gear and smooth consistent throttle application, allowing the systems to do their work. I find a lot of people see that their wheels are spinning and just jab the throttle, this is not necessarily the best way to clear an obstacle. Of course in deep sand, mud, and snow techniques are different. Not that I am trying to tell anyone how to drive I'm just sharing what seemed to work for me.

A shot to get us rolling.

This was a 320 mile round trip from my house with 43 miles on dirt and/or off road conditions. Colorado Springs to Leadville to check out the old mining area. Then Leadville to Camp Hale for the fun roads and ruins, back on the highway for a few more miles to No Name Rd taking you to Homestake Reservoir (closed at the moment for dam maintence through 2013) Back down No Name, back on the highway a few more miles to Red Cliff. From there taking Shrine Pass which dumps you out right on top of the rest stop on Vail Pass. And from there home through Breckenridge and Woodland Park. A great trip for the Ridgeline, it could be a one or two dayer depending on your pace, lots of camping, and hiking in the area. Also some more mining areas at the base of Mosquito Pass near Alma. All family friendly and tons of beautiful sights and sounds. Some of my trip was burdened with smoke blowing up from the wildfires in New Mexico (hope those are out soon) but it was still great.

A map with the general roads I traveled.

The first stop is at what is often a massive mud hole, dried up at the moment.

On top of a levy.

The family pooch checking it all out.

Headed up the road toward one of the larger mining buildings.

Had to stop and pose.

Mosquito Pass still has to much snow for driving. Probably a little intense for the RL anyway. Goes from Alma into Leadville

Inside one of the buildings, a massive pulley system the roof has collapsed from the massive amounts of snow this area gets in the winter.

Love this shot.

Some sort of sifter machine except huge.

"Obtaining a load of Ore"

Paying its respects to a long neglected machine.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Camp Hale ruins

The back road to Wearyman Creek, this part is Ridgeable but down the other side the actual Wearyman part is probably a little intense for the RL.

The first water crossing for the Ridge, performed like a champ.

Fresh out of gettings its feet wet in the river.

More Camp Hale ruins.

Headed up No Name

Wildlife

Stopped at a trail-head.

Dinner time.

He enjoyed himself, the little knuckle head.

Loaded back up and ready to head out.

Odee seeing what I am up too.

On Shrine Pass for a little break.

The Summit of Shrine Pass, very smooth and not far to Vail Pass from here.

#4 ·
I'm probably interrupting your thread, but great pics and obviously your Ridge handled the trail with ease.

#5 ·
Great photos.

#11 ·
Thanks all. I'm glad your enjoying it. And thanks for the compliments on my photography, I try but I am no pro by any means.

The fuel container is really more of a precautionary measure than anything. And even at that there are plenty of fuel stations around I just like to have the extra just in case. Plus by filling it up at home I save up to 30 cents a gallon from buying in the mountain towns. I could have made the whole trip in one full Ridgeline tank. I reset my computer as I left my driveway and when I pulled back into the driveway after the trip the RLs display read 20.3 avg. Not bad at all if you ask me. I also drove fairly aggressively on the way out there so I pleasantly surprised by that number.

A 2012 with mud on it. Love it!!!! Those would make some nice Honda advertisements.
:act035: Thats right MUD! lol

Thanks I thought a few of them reminded me of the brochure photos too.

#12 ·
Great shots of beautiful country. The RL looks right at home.

Thanks for sharing.

Your pup looks like he had a great time. What breed?

#13 ·
^^^ He is a 3/4 Shiba Inu and 1/4 American Eskimo. He looks very Shiba though, he is also the runt. Our Shiba before him weighed 24lbs (standard weight) Odee is like 16lbs and 1.4yrs. He is a rascal but full of personality and totally lovable.

Here is my old Shiba Inu: Edo

He had a unique paint job, most Shibas colors are more like Odees

and one more for good measure...

#26 · (Edited)
I'm glad you all have enjoyed the pictures. It was a great trip and the off road abilities are quite good. seaQuest I responded to your PM this post is a variation of what I sent you.

Just keep in mind the Ridgeline is not a rock and boulder crawler. And it is not designed for prolonged excessively steep climbing. While keeping that in mind it is incredibly versatile and far more capable than people give it credit for.

The tires on my truck are currently the stock Michelin LTX M/S's. Pretty good off road and do well in the ice and snow while maintaining a quite smooth ride. Not premium if you plan on mud bogging but then again the Ridgeline isn't that great for that anyway.

The mines are a great sight to see. Recently an old mining train tunnel in the area collapsed creating a sinkhole under the highway. Closing it for several months.

As for the scrap metal Timberdog, the area is technically still owned I believe by a variation of the company that mined it long ago. There are occasionally new tractors and equipment around doing who knows what. So even though one is not trespassing while visiting you are really not supposed to take anything.

The pup grins at your compliments.

Here are a few other shots from the trip I never added.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.