Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure it's been discussed in the forum, but I can't find it. What is the D4 buttons function ? ( new 2017 RTL-E ). Nothing in the manual or on the Honda site that I can find.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Basically it down shifts it one gear to fifth from sixth. Used when going up or down hills or towing a trailer through hilly terrain. The transmission will often gear hunt on hills, this helps prevent that and give better climbing power. Downhill, it gives better engine braking.

In the old days they used to call it the overdrive button, referring to the final gear as 'overdrive'.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Basically it down shifts it one gear to fifth from sixth.

In the old days they used to call it the overdrive button, referring to the final gear as 'overdrive'.
It keeps the transmission from shifting above fourth gear. (D) means drive and (4) means fourth gear.

The Ridgeline has 4 underdrive ratios for gears 1 2 3 and 4. It has 2 overdrive ratios for gears 5 and 6. There is no 1-to-1 direct drive but fourth gear is real close.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I use it all the time mostly when going down hill for the braking assist. Paddle shifters would have been more fun and maybe better, but it works well. I went 86K miles on my 2013 S-10 ZR5 and never needed a brake job by utilizing engine braking when possible.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I'm curiosity s to see how the new Ridgeline will do tow my boat. My Jeep GC pulled with no need for tow mode and the Ridgeline has more horsepower and about same torque. My wife's Pilot toes our dual Waverunner with no need as well. Of course this is mostly prett flat ground in Florida. If they start hunting I will certainly engage to tow mode.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I'm curiosity s to see how the new Ridgeline will do tow my boat. My Jeep GC pulled with no need for tow mode and the Ridgeline has more horsepower and about same torque. My wife's Pilot toes our dual Waverunner with no need as well. Of course this is mostly prett flat ground in Florida. If they start hunting I will certainly engage to tow mode.
Neither the Pilot nor the Ridgeline has a tow mode. On a G2 Ridgeline, "D4" simply locks out the 5th and 6th gears. (On the G1 Ridgeline, "D3" locks out 4th and 5th gear.)

·
Premium Member
2017 Black Edition
753 Posts
Just to drop a note... I didn't see where anyone specified "Where it was" if the OP question is interpreted that way. It is the side button (Thumb button) of the shift handle.

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
I'm sure it's been discussed in the forum, but I can't find it. What is the D4 buttons function ? ( new 2017 RTL-E ). Nothing in the manual or on the Honda site that I can find.
One can go to Honda Owners Site | Tips, Tools & Benefits for Honda Owners and download the PDF version of the manual and then search for D4. The search should reveal a few references to and diagrams of D4.

This link might get you close:

Owner's Manual | 2017 Honda Ridgeline | Honda Owners Site

I tried to include a direct link to the manual but the forum does something to obsfucate it.

·
Registered
284 Posts
One can go to Honda Owners Site | Tips, Tools & Benefits for Honda Owners and download the PDF version of the manual and then search for D4. The search should reveal a few references to and diagrams of D4.

This link might get you close:

Owner's Manual | 2017 Honda Ridgeline | Honda Owners Site

I tried to include a direct link to the manual but the forum does something to obsfucate it.
I believe the manual says towing up hill. But it's mainly when you don't want over drive to kick in. So when I tow my camper, usually off the highway I use D4.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts