Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm ticked off. I just got a letter from my dealer. They say the DMV notified them that an additional $89 is due for the commercial plates for my truck.
Why commercial plates? :confused:
After $33k+ they do this crap.
As far as I'm concerned right now they can eat that $89. I have my plates and stickers and they can stick it!!!

Doug

·
Registered
10,401 Posts
Until they tow your Ridgeline with a wrecker, trashing your rear differential.

·
Registered
198 Posts
dsowell said:
I'm ticked off. I just got a letter from my dealer. They say the DMV notified them that an additional $89 is due for the commercial plates for my truck.
After $33k+ they do this crap.
As far as I'm concerned right now they can eat that $89. I have my plates and stickers and they can stick it!!!

Doug
Deal's done, Contract was signed, they don't have a leg to stand on.

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
That's a pisser. Has anyone else had that happen?

We had a plate dispute with the dealer too. We ordered personalized plates. We have them on our Trooper, but hubby wants it to say something else. He thinks we already paid for the vanity plates and I remember them taking down what he wanted them to say.

Here at the end of the month, no less, a woman working at the dealer called and said we had to choose between transferring our old plates or getting new ones. Now why didn't they know up front that they were not able to order the personalized ones? So we dashed down to DMV two days ago to try to get the personalized ones ordered and waited in line just to found out we can't do anything until we have a set of real plates (that will be garbage soon) and the registration. We got that part yesterday. Now we have to go back to DMV to order the new ones. It means two more changes for the workplace sticker too.

All that wouldn't be as aggravating if the process had been described to us accurately from the day we signed or they wouldn't have pu off letting us know to a couple of days before their paper temp sticker expired.

We also had to go into our credit union today to get the title changed to have both our names on it so we can have the car registered and/or. The dealer did not ask how we wanted the registration.

All this busy work is a pain.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wanted vanity plates because I'm a Ham (not as in funny guy the radio one)
They told me they could not get them as part of the sale so now I have to do the same eventually and go to the DMV to get vanity plates.

I think I will tell them to eat that $89 or I will call American Honda and complain, give them a crappy review on their survey (they always want top ratings), and out them on this forum.
Will also call Pre-Paid Legal and get some advice.

Doug

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
dsowell said:
This is the real question. Why is CA hitting for commercial plates? Have you checked with the DMV? It sounds like someone screwed up some paperwork.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
mayfielh said:
This is the real question. Why is CA hitting for commercial plates? Have you checked with the DMV? It sounds like someone screwed up some paperwork.
I don't get it either. I'll have to call DMV next week.

Doug

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
My Ridgeline dealer sent me a check for $9.83 with a note attached saying they overcharged me for my plates by that amount. I would never have believed it! But what really ticks me off is that on the same day I got the plates and check, I also received my new State Farm policy - $500 every six months!! I went nuts! Oh well, this story is for the insurance thread.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I called and left a message for the office staff and my Honda dealer. I told them I did not feel I should pay this $89 after spending that much money with them. I received a call back stating that they would take care of the $89 and that I owed nothing. :D

Doug

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
My guess is that Honda needs to be trained in there respective states as to what the regulations are for truck plates
My dealer was clueless that the RL even needed truck plates being the RL is the 1st truck Honda sells. I told them they were wrong and they insisted not. Before I left the dealer, I had an application for new "B" truck plates and they ate the cost of aprox. $50.00

·
Registered
876 Posts
Hmmm... I had personalized plates on my trade-in (not a truck), and after the sales manager filled out the California DMV transfer form he said I could just go out and put the plates on my Ridgeline. I guess I'll be waiting to hear from the DMV?

·
Registered
131 Posts
In Illinois, the Ridge requires a truck plate. After debating this with the dealer and finally agreeing, they called for us to pick-up our plates. Ah, another trip to the dealer only to find out that they ordered passengar plates.... which now had to be cancelled and replaced with truck plates. Bottom line is if you are stopped by a knowledegable trooper, you have a problem , not your dealer.

·
Registered
505 Posts
In California if you don't have a shell on the truck, they consider it a commercial vehicle. I have personalized plates and on top of the commercial fees they added another $45 on top of that. I think my total registration cost was around $525.00 (per year). :(

I also received a notice that I owed my dealer more money for my registration. I checked my contract and it had a disclosure statement that the registration fees (charged at the time of purchase) are only an estimate and may cost more/less. I complained to my dealer and received some "oil change certificates" equal to the additional amount I owed on the DMV fees.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Interesting thread. Sounds like the gov't has decided the Ridgeline is a REAL truck!

·
Registered
121 Posts
divotdog; It actually sounds more like the gov't doesn't know what it is!!!!!!!!!!:confused:

·
Registered
119 Posts
It is the dealer's responsibility to figure out what things cost and charge you the correct amounts.

If they overcharge, then you get a refund.

If they undercharge, it is their problem.

·
Registered
589 Posts
well, back in the day...

i had a deal going for a truck and traded in a 87 MR2, well at the signing, the dealer realized they valued the car as a 88 (dont know where they got it was an 88, I told them 87) so they wanted more $$ - it was a back and forth - and I walked !

·
Registered
366 Posts
gadgetz said:
I think my total registration cost was around $525.00 (per year). :(
Do you mean that to get an annual registration and annual license plate sticker, that you would pay $525? In Ohio, I think that I had to pay under $60..... :confused:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts