Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1121 - 1140 of 1163 Posts

·
Premium Member
2009 Ridgeline RTL (with nav) in Bali Blue Pearl
2,489 Posts
... When you pull down the "arm rest" in the back seat of a G1, there is a square-shaped cup holder. That cup holder fits a fifth bottle of Jack Daniels perfectly. I learned this many years ago when my brother in law set his bottle in there during a tailgate at a concert. I don't know if Gary or some other member of the original design team was a big fan of JD, but it seems strange that this cupholder is the exact size and shape that it is without any other reason.

*Disclaimer* do not drink and drive.
Wow, that sounds a little too coincidental, but crazier things have happened for some seemingly silly reasons in vehicle designs, well silly to me. Honda calls that square spot on the armrest an "activity tray." Maybe it's for a drinking "activity?" ;-)

·
Registered
2021 RTL-E, Lunar Silver Metallic
630 Posts
Found that the RES/+ or -/SET will change the set speed in 5 mph increments if you keep the button depressed with ACC. Regular Cruise Control will increase or decrease while held in 1 mph increments until released.

This is explained in the Owners Manual on page 435 for Cruise Control and 450 for ACC.

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,112 Posts
Wow, that sounds a little too coincidental, but crazier things have happened for some seemingly silly reasons in vehicle designs, well silly to me. Honda call that square spot on the armrest an "activity tray." Maybe it's for a drinking "activity?" ;-)
Square bottle - square hole. Seems like a pretty good activity!

Reactions: McChizzle

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E in pacific pewter metallic
2,712 Posts
Recently had to have a tire shop subtract the fee for resetting my TPMS. Most tire shops believe our first generation RL require "resetting" when installing new sensors in the wheels. They claim most vehicles require this service. Somebody had a good idea at Honda for the RL.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,588 Posts
Believe it or Not but I recently discovered a feature, primarily because I've never used it before.

2006 Honda Ridgeline, Window buttons are lighted, and have been since ownership. But recently we have gotten a new Puppy and he's fairly large, standing on the floor puts his paws on the armrest in the back seat, and can operate the window button. He discovered it and has since figured it out. So when he's in the vehicle I have to use the window lock and shut down the windows. The other night I look over and was thinking "Crap" I've got bulb failures that's not good.

Black Green Darkness Light Night

Here's a close up.

Black Green Light Text Darkness

But then I had a window open and hit the "Unlock" and the lights came back on. Sorry for the blurry pic.

Green Black Light Darkness Sky

This so nearly 13 years later and I'm still discovering stuff.

Thank You Honda Ridgeline Engineering Team

P.S. my '15 Fit doesn't have this, and I haven't checked the '17 Accord yet. ;)

·
Premium Member
2,489 Posts
All of these thoughtful things we find in our Ridgeline's design always put a smile on my face. It's great engineering! I've never owned a vehicle that surprised me like this one does.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Believe it or Not but I recently discovered a feature, primarily because I've never used it before.
A friend with a different vehicle recently complaint that his headlight washer never worked since bought 2 years used & owned for about 10 now. ( one of those who never seen the manuals :laugh: )

I did a quick googled and turns out... the feature required the light to be on or else.
(if you can't see..turn on headlight...and then if you still cannot see...then you may use the headlight washer feature. >:) )

It's similar to ours ...where if the wipers are on...LKAS will not work.
(If conditions are bad enough that you need to use the wipers...maybe LKAS is not such a good idea... >:) )

·
Registered
549 Posts
Thanks folks. Some I knew, some I didn't. I discovered the key fob can open all the windows after having my last Ridgeline for 8 or 9 years, and I don't think the owner's guide mentions that the new one also has this feature.

·
Premium Member
2,489 Posts
OP says heated windshield wiprrs...not on my 2017. It is a constant winter problem in Minnesota. Grrrr
All Gen1s have heated wipers. For the Gen2, only the Canadian models have heated wipers; the US version does not. Hopefully, Honda North America will wake up and give US buyers what they give our Canadian brothers and sisters.

·
Premium Member
2,489 Posts
I recently left my key in the ignition of my Gen1 when I opened the driver's door and my RL freaked out beeping at me. The beeping pattern was familiar some how. It was a rapid succession of four short beeps. I asked myself, "Why four fast beeps vise one or two long beeps?" --A few days ago, I was talking with an old Army buddy who was a 98H (i.e. a morse code expert) and we were reminiscing, which put me in a particular mindset at the time.-- It's probably just coincidental but did you know that four fast/short beeps (. . . .) equals the letter "H" in morse code ("H" the emblem and first letter of the RL's company name)?

What do you think, is that just coincidental or purposeful? If purposeful, that's a cool little easter egg.

·
Administrator
20,139 Posts
I recently left my key in the ignition of my Gen1 when I opened the driver's door and my RL freaked out beeping at me. The beeping pattern was familiar some how. It was a rapid succession of four short beeps. I asked myself, "Why four fast beeps vise one or two or one or two long beeps?" --A few days ago, I was talking with an old Army buddy who was a 98H (i.e. a morse code expert) and we were reminiscing, which put me in a particular mindset at the time.-- It's probably just coincidental but did you know that four fast/short beeps (- - - -) equals the letter "H" in morse code ("H" the emblem and first letter of the RL's company name)?

What do you think, is that just coincidental or purposeful? If purposeful, that's a cool little easter egg.
Dits (short beeps) are represented in text by a period. Dahs (long beeps) are represented by dashes.

I had to learn Morse code when I got my amateur radio license years ago. :)

I think it's just a coincidence. My Oster toaster oven beeps four times when it's finished and so does my Whirlpool microwave oven. Perhaps there were psychological studies performed on the effectiveness of alert tone cadence that resulted in four, short beeps. My washer, dryer, and refrigerator play melodies.

Side story: All last week, I kept hearing an intermittent, isolated beep or beep-beep in my new Accord. It was the same beep sound that the Display Audio system makes when you touch a button, but I wasn't touching a button. After almost going crazy(er), I finally discovered it was my dash cam complaining about being unable to write to the memory card quickly enough causing dropped frames. After replacing the memory card, the maddening beeping stopped.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
When I'd first took delivery of my truck...it was a learning/discovery period about the truck and its features...etc.

I must have had the "system alert volume" down so low... kept hearing this faint beep from time to time...not until about 2 months of ownership that I found out the source of the mystery. :surprise:

It was the LKAS system engaged/disengaged ...(you know ? solid line...dotted line .. :laugh:)

·
Premium Member
2,489 Posts
Did you know that your AC inverter (on 2009-2014 model year RTLs. Tourings, and SEs) will work with the key in position II?:nerd:
A thunderstorm took out power to my nayborhood yesterday and my phone was almost dead. So I jumped into my RL to charge my smartphone while listening to weather updates on my RL's radio. Since I have an 09 RTL, I like to use the 115V AC outlet to charge my phone for its about twice as fast at charing than the 12V DC outlets. --I don't know why it's faster because the AC outlet is only 100W while the DC outlets are either 10A (rear) or 15A (front).-- I always thought I needed the engine running for the AC inverter to work but yesterday I tried to use it with the key in position II. Behold, the inverter worked and it charged my phone while I used it to surf the Internet while listening to the radio. Plus it charged my phone just as fast as it would if the engine was running. Now I know how to save a little gas the next time there's another short neighborhood power outage and I need a charge.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,386 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, position 2 will run your battery down quite a bit faster than position 1. Don't ask how I know. ;)

So caution is recommended on using position 2 vs position 1.

·
Registered
10,112 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, position 2 will run your battery down quite a bit faster than position 1. Don't ask how I know. ;)

So caution is recommended on using position 2 vs position 1.
Beat me to it. Running the truck in position 2 will run nearly everything electric on the truck directly from the battery. Depending on the capacity and charge status of your battery, you could suck the available juice to the point of not being able to start the truck in as little as 45-60 minutes.

·
Registered
10,112 Posts
1121 - 1140 of 1163 Posts