Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1141 - 1160 of 1163 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
ill add a tidbit, i didnt go through the whole thread so this may or may not be old news.

One of the reasons the tailgate is designed to be shorter than the sides is for aerodynamics and fuel economy. As told to me from my Honda rep during those years I was in sales!

·
Premium Member
2009 Ridgeline RTL (with nav) in Bali Blue Pearl
2,489 Posts
... One of the reasons the tailgate is designed to be shorter than the sides is for aerodynamics and fuel economy. As told to me from my Honda rep during those years I was in sales!
That's one reason the tailgate is at that height. The other is better rear visibility and you can really see the difference in the rear-view mirror.

Here are the reasons straight from the mouth of the Gen1 Ridgeline's Chief Engineer and Large Project Leader, Gary Flint (i.e. "the man"):

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,112 Posts
^^ I all but forget about this feature and rarely even notice it anymore. It just seems to be "normal" to me, but great thinking on Honda's part!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Thought I would bump up this interesting thread for us new Generation 1 owners. I have not read all of this thread and had no idea that the wipers are heated if temperature reaches below 32 degrees F?

·
Premium Member
2,489 Posts
Thought I would bump up this interesting thread for us new Generation 1 owners. I have not read all of this thread and had no idea that the wipers are heated if temperature reaches below 32 degrees F?
If you want to learn more about the Gen1, I recommend you start by reading the Gen1 Honda Ridgeline Wikipedia article. The ROC has worked hard to make it an accurate and reliable resource for people just like you.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,386 Posts
To be accurate, the landing zone on the windshield is heated. Not the wipers themselves.

Reactions: Goreds2

·
Registered
17 Posts
Actually the antenna is the "bubbly" portion that's directly in front of your rear-view mirror (at least in the RTS w/o XM, that's where it's at).
No it's not. It is in the panel at the top of the rear glass on the roof. I have a RTS and I replaced that darn thing with a real fender mounted antenna when I changed my stereo out. I was going to do it at the panel when I changed my mind and decided to put it in the fender. I had a antenna temp mounted and connected where the original antenna was, and didn't like the location, nor the connectors required to make it work properly with Honda's OEM antenna lead.
Gene

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,112 Posts
Yes, there is a zone in the glass that is triggered for 15 min after starting the truck when the temperature is below 45 degrees. It's one of the best things about this truck for winter driving and something that is SORELY missed on the US G2 models. It's only available on Canadian models, but, IMO, should be standard at least on the higher end RTL-T/E models in the US. Part of me wonders how difficult it would be to retrofit a Canadian windshield into a US model and wire in the control module.

Reactions: Goreds2

·
Super Moderator
23,386 Posts
Here's some Honda documentation about the heated wiper zone on the G1 RL:

Text Font Document

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
4,676 Posts
The one I recently found (in my '14 Sport) is that when the wipers are on intermittent and you're at a stop (brake pedal depressed), the wipers will activate when you release the brake pedal. #PrettyCool
I do not know if it fully stops when you are stopped. In my 2010 RT, regardless of the 'intermittent' speed dial setting on the stalk, when I come to a stop at a light, the wipers operate at the slowest 'intermittent' setting. Once you start to move, it goes back to its set speed.

I could have sworn that the G1 was documented to have speed sensitive wipers.

·
Super Moderator
23,386 Posts
AFAIK, the G1 RL's all operate the same. As soon as you release the brake, the wipers make a swipe across the windshield whenever the wiper switch is on.

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
4,676 Posts
As a follow up, yesterday it rained here in NJ and with the wipers on intermittent, the wipers did not stop, They slowed down to their slowest speed and kept on wiping. I was at a traffic light by a MVA and thus stopped for about 5-mins.

Here is just now. Stopped at the light, wipers on, foot on brake, they are still going.

·
Super Moderator
23,386 Posts
Right. The wipers continue in the mode they were in, but add a stroke when the brake pedal is released.

·
Premium Member
2,489 Posts
I do not know if it fully stops when you are stopped. In my 2010 RT, regardless of the 'intermittent' speed dial setting on the stalk, when I come to a stop at a light, the wipers operate at the slowest 'intermittent' setting. Once you start to move, it goes back to its set speed.

I could have sworn that the G1 was documented to have speed sensitive wipers.
You are right, the owner's manual, does state that "The length of the wiper interval is varied automatically according to the vehicle’s speed." However, I have only experienced that on the highest intermittent setting where it goes from intermittent to slow around 12 MPH.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Ridgeline
1 Posts
Did you know that your rear window slides open and closed? Well of course you did

Did you know that you have a GIANT Cooler in the rear of your truck? Well of course you did

Did you know that this truck has so many cool little things that I can hardly stand it? Well of course you did

MAN! DOES THIS TRUCK ROCK OR WHAT???? O YEH!

P.S. No that's not me, I just googled the image. :)
I just got my 2008 Ridgeline two weeks ago and am finding out so many cool things!!! I love this truck!!!

·
Registered
2009 EX-L
34 Posts
If you want to learn more about the Gen1, I recommend you start by reading the Gen1 Honda Ridgeline Wikipedia article. The ROC has worked hard to make it an accurate and reliable resource for people just like you.
Hi all,

Sorry for reviving an old thread. But in that Wiki article it states it has an aluminum hood. My 2009 has a very heavy steel hood. Is the Wiki incorrect or do the 2006-2008 have aluminum? If so, I may need to swap!

Thanks,

Scott

·
Premium Member
2,489 Posts
Hi all,

Sorry for reviving an old thread. But in that Wiki article it states it has an aluminum hood. My 2009 has a very heavy steel hood. Is the Wiki incorrect or do the 2006-2008 have aluminum? If so, I may need to swap!

Thanks,

Scott
Good ketch Scott, that was an error ("my bad"). I fixed it.

1141 - 1160 of 1163 Posts