Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Things you may not have noticed about your G2

631K views 1K replies 373 participants last post by  dbeedle 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
In the spirit of similar threads for the G1, I figured I would start a similar thread for the G2. Here are two...

1. The RTL-E and Black Edition have a memory driver's seat and side mirrors. If you have the mirror control set to L or R, the corresponding mirror will tilt down in reverse. What surprised me was if you toggle between L and R while still in reverse you can tilt the other mirror - however, the one you switch away from tilts back up. They can't both tilt down at the same time.

2. While sitting in the garage with the ignition on and engine off, I heard a fan running under the hood. At first, I thought it was the radiator/condenser fans, but I had the climate control set to off. Upon closer inspection, I discovered the battery has a cooling fan mounted on the enclosure.

#3 ·
In the spirit of similar threads for the G1, I figured I would start a similar thread for the G2. Here are two...

1. The RTL-E and Black Edition have a memory driver's seat and side mirrors. If you have the mirror control set to L or R, the corresponding mirror will tilt down in reverse. What surprised me was if you toggle between L and R while still in reverse you can tilt the other mirror - however, the one you switch away from tilts back up. They can't both tilt down at the same time.
Love this idea for a thread! Especially since you answered my question on the very day that I had it. I noticed the mirror today for the first time. I had known that this feature was part of the package but couldn't figure out how to turn it on. The positioning button was left on the left mirror and that mirror started dunking and I couldn't figure out why. Now I know. Thanks.

#4 ·
I hope this qualifies:

Being a "capless" fuel tank, you need to use the special funnel located in the in bed trunk spare wheel slot to decant gasoline from a gas can/bottle/container or "portable fuel container" as the manual words it!

Thing is...I just went to look for it I my new RTL-E .... and .....it's not there despite the sticker on the fuel cap and owners manual stating it was supplied and located in the trunk!

Can everyone please check to see if their emergency funnel was supplied and where it is located? I think I can see the cutout of where it was supposed to be in the styrofoam insert of the spare tire.

#5 ·
Mine is there. I checked it about a week ago. It's wedged into the foam -like tool storage area that is wedged into the center of the spare. Mine was on the left side of that. It's kind of grayish white, as I recall. Maybe you should look again. I don't think it's being offered for sale yet, but I'm certain places like Bernardi Parts will have them in the near future.

#26 ·
Depending upon how you set up your mirrors normally, having one of them lowered while backing up, allows you to see the ground better - which can be helpful in not backing over your wife's flowers, breaking sprinklers, etc.

When you shift to anything other than reverse, the mirror returns to its original position (mostly - sometimes I have to adjust mine).

I personally find it useful. I would think that others would find it annoying. It you leave the selector in neutral, neither mirror will lower and it becomes a non-issue.

#17 ·
I haven't checked for my funnel yet. I've never ran out of gasoline in my life and can't understand how that even happens.

The trunk smell is definitely overwhelming! My entire garage smells like the fiberglass resin and paint chemicals used in a boat factory. :)

The carpeted floor mats do have that "new house carpet" smell. Mine were replaced by Honda all-weather mats before I left the dealer. The carpeted mats are tucked away in a closet.

This Ridgeline is the most unique-smelling new vehicle I've ever had. I only notice the plastic trunk/bed smell vs. the typical "new car" or leather smell. Then again, as often as I trade I've probably burned out my olfactory nerves. :(

#15 ·
Has anyone noticed that the front passenger seatbelt looks like can be disconnected from the anchor using a key or slim screedriver - kinda like the middle seat of a SUV or minivan to store the belt out the way.

I tried inserting the Ridgeline's key into the slot to test it out but it is too thick.

Can anyone see if they can insert something to find out if it is indeed a release mechanism.

What would you use this feature for? Removing the seat? Seems unlikely.
Did Honda just use what parts they had lying around?

#18 ·
Here is one thing people may not have noticed - on the instrument panel, the green accents on each side (outside of tachometer on left, outside of fuel & engine temp on right) fade to white (and maybe to another color) if you're driving aggressively.

With only a minute or two of searching online I couldn't find any details about this online, but next time you're accelerating take a look at how the color changes.

Attachments

#19 ·
Here is one thing people may not have noticed - on the instrument panel, the green accents on each side (outside of tachometer on left, outside of fuel & engine temp on right) fade to white (and maybe to another color) if you're driving aggressively.
Quite few newer Hondas with VCM have this.

#32 ·
My G1 Ridgeline smelled like new tires, leather, and fiberglass (I don't mind the first two, but the fiberglass smell, not so much). I parked it in the sun at the house with all the doors and trunk open and spritzed it with Fabreeze, it really dialed back the smell.

Reactions: peregrine
#35 ·
Something that some people may not have realized that the key knobs are capable of delivering on individually-based custom experiences. Meaning that each key can be set differently as it relates to how the lights work, sounds, door openings, etc. Related, on the trims with seat memory settings, it appears that the #1 and #2 driver seat settings are specific to a key knob (something that drove me batty for the first two days till I realized that). If you have the #2 key knob, the seat auto-adjusts to the #2 setting when you open the door. If you want the #1 setting instead, you would then have to manually press that button in the truck each time (or switch your keys or presets around). It's a nice feature that I didn't hear about when reading all of the early threads.

Finally, I assume that this customization is true on all trims, but someone else may want to verify that. I know that it is this way on the RTL-E.

#38 ·
I just noticed the key fob connection related to seat/mirror settings when my wife got in our 2 day old RTL-E this morning. But you are sayings what... that it also relates to the various customizations each key fob holder may have made to the various system technology settings? Is there somewhere you have seen that documented? And to what settings does it apply... all?
All that begs another question: If you are both riding in the car... and you both have your key fob... how does the system know which fob number customization to apply (fob 1 or 2)? Is it which one was recognized when the door was opened? Would love to know where this information might be found.

Reactions: peregrine
#37 ·
One thing I found a little different: When you store a channel in the Sirius/XM radio over an old setting you can "Combine" the stations. I figured you'd just tap the button twice to get the second channel. Nope. It really does combine the stations. When you create a channel combine (up to 4 stations), your radio essentially records whatever is playing on each channel in the group. When the song being played ends, the radio checks its memory to find another complete song and plays that one. It switches randomly among the channels in the group, apparently grabbing whatever is finished recording.

Personally thought it was a dumb idea until my wife combined a couple stations she likes and a couple I like (country and 70's rock) and it wasn't too bad.

#40 ·
When I walk up to the vehicle (RTL-E) and hold the handle, the vehicle unlocks and when I hit start button, the driver's screen shows 'Driver 1' and the seat and mirrors adjust to me. When my wife walks up and holds the handle, the vehicle unlocks and when she hits the start button, the driver's screen shows 'Driver 2' and the seat and mirrors adjust to her. If I unlock the doors for her, she has to push the #2 button to adjust the mirrors and seat position to hers as the system will put her into 'Driver 1' since it was my FOB that unlocked the door. I haven't tested, yet, if anything else will adjust, like the climate control system. It seems that the vehicle senses the closeness of the FOB and the unlock procedure to determine where to adjust, since I have my keys in my pocket, even when she opens/unlocks the doors from the driver's side.