Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 40 of 679 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Has anyone noticed that the front passenger seatbelt looks like can be disconnected from the anchor using a key or slim screedriver - kinda like the middle seat of a SUV or minivan to store the belt out the way.

I tried inserting the Ridgeline's key into the slot to test it out but it is too thick.

Can anyone see if they can insert something to find out if it is indeed a release mechanism.

What would you use this feature for? Removing the seat? Seems unlikely.
Did Honda just use what parts they had lying around?

On every vehicle I've owned with that seatbelt anchor style an adjacent seat belt tab is the perfect fit. Looks like parts bin engineering to me (same p/n; multiple applications.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thanks for the link. I'm pretty confident my wife's 2015 Odyssey Elite does not have this feature, so I assumed this was new for the 2016 Pilot and 2017 Ridgeline.

Eco Assist? System | 2017 Honda Ridgeline | Honda Owners Site

It is also described on page 9 of the Owner's Manual.

Actually, it's not limited to VCM-equipped vehicles. It's a feature of the Eco Assist system that's been standard on most, if not all Honda models for several years now from the Fit to the Odyssey and everything in between.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Air diverters/guides forward of the rear wheels reduces wheel/tire rotational turbulence thus increasing fuel mileage. Found this while looking for the tail pipes.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Help me envision this..... what is the advantage to the mirror tilt down?
Depending upon how you set up your mirrors normally, having one of them lowered while backing up, allows you to see the ground better - which can be helpful in not backing over your wife's flowers, breaking sprinklers, etc.

When you shift to anything other than reverse, the mirror returns to its original position (mostly - sometimes I have to adjust mine).

I personally find it useful. I would think that others would find it annoying. It you leave the selector in neutral, neither mirror will lower and it becomes a non-issue.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ridgeline RTL-E, Northeast U.S.
2,870 Posts
Has anyone noticed that the front passenger seatbelt looks like can be disconnected from the anchor using a key or slim screedriver - kinda like the middle seat of a SUV or minivan to store the belt out the way.

I tried inserting the Ridgeline's key into the slot to test it out but it is too thick.

Can anyone see if they can insert something to find out if it is indeed a release mechanism.

What would you use this feature for? Removing the seat? Seems unlikely.
Did Honda just use what parts they had lying around?
My wild a$$ guess is that this has something to do with a new design for seatbelt pre-tensioners. Whatever it is, it almost looks prototypical – as if the design wasn't finished and this was test hardware.

·
Super Moderator
2,870 Posts
The trunk smell is definitely overwhelming! My entire garage smells like the fiberglass resin and paint chemicals used in a boat factory. :)

The carpeted floor mats do have that "new house carpet" smell. Mine were replaced by Honda all-weather mats before I left the dealer. The carpeted mats are tucked away in a closet.

This Ridgeline is the most unique-smelling new vehicle I've ever had. I only notice the plastic trunk/bed smell vs. the typical "new car" or leather smell. Then again, as often as I trade I've probably burned out my olfactory nerves. :(
My kids say, "Dad,'new car smell' smells bad!" And I have to admit as you said Z, the Ridgeline doesn't smell like a new car; it's got a unique fragrance all its own some of it good, some of it bad.

My trunk not only stank when I first opened it up, someone had accidentally gotten white grease on it in several places. I had to scrub and scrub to get most of it out. Who knows, maybe that helps with the smell. But I did leave it open for several days to air it out. Some of those were days when it was outside, not in the garage. Bottom line: I don't notice a bad odor anymore in the trunk. It's probably not 100% gone but it's not bothering me.

I removed the all season carpets in favor of Honda's WeatherTech-style winter mats too.

·
Administrator
14,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Trims with the 8" screen have a full-blown web browser that works through Wi-Fi. Here's a video for the Pilot, but the steps are almost identical.

My kids say, "Dad,'new car smell' smells bad!" And I have to admit as you said Z, the Ridgeline doesn't smell like a new car; it's got a unique fragrance all its own some of it good, some of it bad.
Strangely, my new '16 CR-V had that "good, ol'-fashioned" new car smell and it lasted almost the entire 3 months I owned it. None of the other Hondas I've bought in the last 10 years smelled like that. They all smell like plastic and, dare I say, slightly "musty". The '17 Ridgeline has the strongest "chemical" odor of anything I've ever bought - mostly in the bed plastics/trunk.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Baking soda will probably get rid of the smell. Its the resin they used. Smells like fiberglass.

The mirrors tilt down so you can see the curb and not curb your rims.

Econ changes throttle response and uses the AC less.

95% of this is in the manual.

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
My G1 Ridgeline smelled like new tires, leather, and fiberglass (I don't mind the first two, but the fiberglass smell, not so much). I parked it in the sun at the house with all the doors and trunk open and spritzed it with Fabreeze, it really dialed back the smell.

·
Super Moderator
2,870 Posts
I grabbed the Fabreeze too. Then my wife pointed out that the Fabreeze is just for fabric.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Something that some people may not have realized that the key knobs are capable of delivering on individually-based custom experiences. Meaning that each key can be set differently as it relates to how the lights work, sounds, door openings, etc. Related, on the trims with seat memory settings, it appears that the #1 and #2 driver seat settings are specific to a key knob (something that drove me batty for the first two days till I realized that). If you have the #2 key knob, the seat auto-adjusts to the #2 setting when you open the door. If you want the #1 setting instead, you would then have to manually press that button in the truck each time (or switch your keys or presets around). It's a nice feature that I didn't hear about when reading all of the early threads.

Finally, I assume that this customization is true on all trims, but someone else may want to verify that. I know that it is this way on the RTL-E.

·
Registered
2 Posts
One thing I found a little different: When you store a channel in the Sirius/XM radio over an old setting you can "Combine" the stations. I figured you'd just tap the button twice to get the second channel. Nope. It really does combine the stations. When you create a channel combine (up to 4 stations), your radio essentially records whatever is playing on each channel in the group. When the song being played ends, the radio checks its memory to find another complete song and plays that one. It switches randomly among the channels in the group, apparently grabbing whatever is finished recording.

Personally thought it was a dumb idea until my wife combined a couple stations she likes and a couple I like (country and 70's rock) and it wasn't too bad.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Something that some people may not have realized that the key knobs are capable of delivering on individually-based custom experiences. Meaning that each key can be set differently as it relates to how the lights work, sounds, door openings, etc. Related, on the trims with seat memory settings, it appears that the #1 and #2 driver seat settings are specific to a key knob (something that drove me batty for the first two days till I realized that). If you have the #2 key knob, the seat auto-adjusts to the #2 setting when you open the door. If you want the #1 setting instead, you would then have to manually press that button in the truck each time (or switch your keys or presets around). It's a nice feature that I didn't hear about when reading all of the early threads.

Finally, I assume that this customization is true on all trims, but someone else may want to verify that. I know that it is this way on the RTL-E.
I just noticed the key fob connection related to seat/mirror settings when my wife got in our 2 day old RTL-E this morning. But you are sayings what... that it also relates to the various customizations each key fob holder may have made to the various system technology settings? Is there somewhere you have seen that documented? And to what settings does it apply... all?
All that begs another question: If you are both riding in the car... and you both have your key fob... how does the system know which fob number customization to apply (fob 1 or 2)? Is it which one was recognized when the door was opened? Would love to know where this information might be found.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I just noticed the key fob connection related to seat/mirror settings when my wife got in our 2 day old RTL-E this morning. But you are sayings what... that it also relates to the various customizations each key fob holder may have made to the various system technology settings? Is there somewhere you have seen that documented? And to what settings does it apply... all?
All that begs another question: If you are both riding in the car... and you both have your key fob... how does the system know which fob number customization to apply (fob 1 or 2)? Is it which one was recognized when the door was opened? Would love to know where this information might be found.
Honestly, no. I am basing it on how the car seat set up is working and the fact that I adjusted the truck to have all doors unlock when you walk up, but when my wife was trying to use her key, it would only unlock the driver's door.

I hope I'm right. I guess I could be wrong. Maybe it's not everything, but only some things? I skimmed the manual and didn't see any reference to it. Anyone else know for sure?

On the both have their key question, I would guess that it is who unlocked the truck?

·
Premium Member
608 Posts
When I walk up to the vehicle (RTL-E) and hold the handle, the vehicle unlocks and when I hit start button, the driver's screen shows 'Driver 1' and the seat and mirrors adjust to me. When my wife walks up and holds the handle, the vehicle unlocks and when she hits the start button, the driver's screen shows 'Driver 2' and the seat and mirrors adjust to her. If I unlock the doors for her, she has to push the #2 button to adjust the mirrors and seat position to hers as the system will put her into 'Driver 1' since it was my FOB that unlocked the door. I haven't tested, yet, if anything else will adjust, like the climate control system. It seems that the vehicle senses the closeness of the FOB and the unlock procedure to determine where to adjust, since I have my keys in my pocket, even when she opens/unlocks the doors from the driver's side.

21 - 40 of 679 Posts