Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My old 2008 Ridgeline has 207,000 miles. Oil change came due this week and I poured in 10W30 instead of 5W20!!!!! Just picked up the wrong jug off the shelf by accident and didn't catch it until I was pouring. Will this be okay for one cycle, or should I just bite the bullet and buy another jug of Mobil 1 and drain the other?

· Administrator
24,906 Posts
Even if you left it in for the entire oil change interval, the worst thing you'd likely experience is slightly higher fuel consumption and the engine might turn over a little slower in very cold temperatures. What little extra wear might occur would be almost immeasurable. Having said that, my OCD self would immediately drain the oil, replace the filter, and pour in the right stuff. If I were a normal person, I wouldn't give it another thought. If you've ever had anyone else change your oil (dealer, fast lube, etc.) there is a chance it's had the wrong oil in it previously. :)

· Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, we must truly be brothers. I'm definitely OCD and wouldn't mind wasting the money to buy the proper oil. Think I'll do just that. Thanks.

· Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,898 Posts
And the flip side of that is at 207k the engine wear has already occurred, and you may find it would actually be an improvement in operation. If it was me at most I'd drain it and use it next spring, and I certainly wouldn't change the filter.

· Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I tow a Casita Travel Trailer with this Ridgeline. Would you still recommend I use that oil in the Spring?

· Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,898 Posts
Personally even more so, the low number is related to the cold weather (sub-zero and below) and the flow properties while cold. The high number has to do with the high temp operating conditions (the point where it loses viscosity).

· Registered
1,361 Posts
With 207K on the ODO I wouldn't change it, or else drain it and use it in the spring. I'm guessing the wear clearances on the bearings and such are enough at this point that the extra viscosity will actually help when it is warm out, especially when pulling a trailer.

All of us new guys use 0W-20 which would be a much bigger jump. You should be fine either way.

· Premium Member
11,332 Posts
Speaking of cold weather, temps have really dropped in the last week in central CA. The Ridge feels great...it really responds to the cold dense air.

· Administrator
24,906 Posts
Speaking of cold weather, temps have really dropped in the last week in central CA. The Ridge feels great...it really responds to the cold dense air.
I was noticing this a few weeks ago during our first wave of cooler temperatures. I've never had a vehicle that experienced such a noticeable performance improvement due to cold air as the Ridgeline - the improved throttle response and acceleration are truly marked.

· Premium Member
1,825 Posts
I was noticing this a few weeks ago during our first wave of cooler temperatures. I've never had a vehicle that experienced such a noticeable performance improvement due to cold air as the Ridgeline - the improved throttle response and acceleration are truly marked.
Could the difference be attributed to winter fuel mix?

· Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
24,671 Posts
In the world of aviation, pistons or turbines, cold air rules (be it lift or power)!

BTW, I'm with the others on this. I don't think it will be an issue at all, but that OCD thing costs me money all the time. ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.