Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about RL. I currently have an H2 Hummer. Anyone have a tonneau cover or one of the Retrax covers for the bed? I need secure storage some of the time (hunting gear etc) but also a bed for hauling large items and hopefully some big game. :)

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
H2, huh? I bet your fuel economy would make me feel pretty damn good about mine. :eek:

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
Have you driven a Ridge yet? You are going to fall in love. . .

We have the Retrax. We installed it ourselves. It suits us perfectly. I highly recommend it.

There is a bit of a problem with it being locked, since there is no lock on the tailgate handle. That is being rectified by an after market entity, but is not available just yet. It's projected to be out in the next couple of weeks.

In the meantime, a couple of us have posted our homemade, make do, solutions to get by. If you do a search with the word Retrax, you will find lots of good information on the installation and functionality of the Retrax tonneau cover.

Be sure you post the day you drive your bright, new Ridgeline home from the lot. In the meantime, keep the questions coming. There's a lot of wisdom and experience to tap into here at ROC.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
rifle said:
I am thinking about RL. I currently have an H2 Hummer. Anyone have a tonneau cover or one of the Retrax covers for the bed? I need secure storage some of the time (hunting gear etc) but also a bed for hauling large items and hopefully some big game. :)
Go with the lockable OEM hard tonneau cover...what is your gas mileage?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I installed the OEM cover yesterday. It took about 5 hours, you can't beat Honda accessories for fit and finish. It looks great and it locks well enough. Not completely water tight, but I don't think any of them are.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I highly recommend the Ridgeline, I recently bought mine and am very happy. Once you test drive it, I think you'll know for sure whether you want to buy one or not.

You can also get good deals on them right now, most places are offering just above invoice (couple hundred) and some are even doing invoice. And you can't beat Invoice on a Honda!

Go for a test drive! And yes, your MPG will be better w/ the Ridge.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Test drive an RL and I think you'll agree it's a Ferrari in acceleration compared to the Hummer. Retrax is the best cover I've seen. I'm in no rush so I'm waiting to see if anyone comes out with a shell.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I traded my F150 Lariet for the RL. I had a SnugFit camper shell on the Ford to keep things out of the weather and provide some safety from theft. But I never liked opening and closing the damn thing all the time and it took away from the "truck look." It was way to heavy to take off and put on, plus I had no place to store it. The RL, with the in-bed trunk fits my needs perfectly. Had a great time going to Costco yesterday and just throwing big items in the truck bed! Plus I have more room in the interior in the RL than I had in the 150. Just curious though, why are you considering trading off the Hummer? (I can think of all sorts of reasons, but I'm curious about yours).

RLguy

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
rifle, you've been pretty quite..whats up? all these responses to your thread and not a peep? :p

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tex's Ridge said:
rifle, you've been pretty quite..whats up? all these responses to your thread and not a peep? :p
Wow, you guys are pretty busy on the keyboard. I was busy today goofing off (shooting then washing my wife's car).
Anyway, to answer your questions:
I test drove a RL, it was real nice. My H2 gets 13 MPG city and 14.5 highway-empty or loaded. I am thinking about trading it for a RL because I need the ability to haul some "stuff" in a truckbed. We have a vacation home in New Mexico and I have to carry some large cargo at times. Yeah the improved gas mileage would be nice but I knew the "H" in H2 didn't stand for hybrid. Interestingly the H2 has been my most reliable GM product. Anyway, I had one other question about the tonneau cover and/or Retrax cover-how are they with a pile of snow on top? Do they dump snow into the bed when you open them? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
rifle said:
Wow, you guys are pretty busy on the keyboard. I was busy today goofing off (shooting then washing my wife's car).
Anyway, to answer your questions:
I test drove a RL, it was real nice. My H2 gets 13 MPG city and 14.5 highway-empty or loaded. I am thinking about trading it for a RL because I need the ability to haul some "stuff" in a truckbed. We have a vacation home in New Mexico and I have to carry some large cargo at times. Yeah the improved gas mileage would be nice but I knew the "H" in H2 didn't stand for hybrid. Interestingly the H2 has been my most reliable GM product. Anyway, I had one other question about the tonneau cover and/or Retrax cover-how are they with a pile of snow on top? Do they dump snow into the bed when you open them? Thanks.
Oh OK then...I have the OEM hard cover. Have not been thru a hard snow. I got my truck w/ the cover in March. If I had a pile of snow on the cover, I would have to sweep it off, just like you would off the hood or the roof. With the hard cover, you don't need to open it at all if you only want to access the in bed trunk. Although the trunk cannot open all the way with the hard cover, it opens plenty enough. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts

I am hoping to get Ridgeline in about 2 months (currently have a 99 Yukon with 140k miles).

Like Rifle, I have to have a secure bed cover since I carry firearms and other computer stuff in the back all the time.

It seems a number of Ridgeline owners like the Honda bed cover. My concern is the ability of it to 1) be locked and secure and 2) how easy is it to get off if I need to go to Home Depot and bring a load of mulch home.

Can any of you guys (or gals) address this for me.?

Would really appreciate your input.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
stormbringer said:

I am hoping to get Ridgeline in about 2 months (currently have a 99 Yukon with 140k miles).

Like Rifle, I have to have a secure bed cover since I carry firearms and other computer stuff in the back all the time.

It seems a number of Ridgeline owners like the Honda bed cover. My concern is the ability of it to 1) be locked and secure and 2) how easy is it to get off if I need to go to Home Depot and bring a load of mulch home.

Can any of you guys (or gals) address this for me.?

Would really appreciate your input.
I have the OEM hard cover which is lockable. It locks the cover and the tailgate, so that neither can be opened. It can be unlocked with a key located under a rubber tab at the right rear of the cover. The cover is two panels which is hinged, so that if you don't need the whole bed, you can flip open the front half and utilize that part of the bed. If you need the whole cover removed, removing four bolts (10mm hex) will allow you to remove the cover. Lifting the cover off the truck takes two persons (my wife and I). :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Tex's Ridge said:
I have the OEM hard cover which is lockable. It locks the cover and the tailgate, so that neither can be opened. It can be unlocked with a key located under a rubber tab at the right rear of the cover. The cover is two panels which is hinged, so that if you don't need the whole bed, you can flip open the front half and utilize that part of the bed. If you need the whole cover removed, removing four bolts (10mm hex) will allow you to remove the cover. Lifting the cover off the truck takes two persons (my wife and I). :)
Is the factory cover pretty leak and dustproof? How about the Retrax re: leak and dustproof?

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
rifle said:
Is the factory cover pretty leak and dustproof? How about the Retrax re: leak and dustproof?
It seems to me that the lockability (is that a word?) was/is your prime concern. So far the only lockable cover is the OEM cover..to answer your leaky question ( I mean your question about leaks and dust proof). The hard cover is 98 percent leak proof and 99 percent dust resistant. :) Hope this helps :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts