Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I registered a long time ago when I was in my mid 20's, about to buy a brand new Ridgeline as my daily driver and a tow car for my S2000, but then things happened, got married, had a son, got MDX for the wife and towing, and a TL SH-AWD 6-speed manual as my daily. We bought a house 4 years ago and with the amount of things that we do around the house, I pretty much get upset all the time, because it seems like I don't have the right car for the job... ever. I play around with renting trailers and towing with the MDX, but I feel like we are "trashing" the MDX. It seems like going to the Home Depot is always a project on top of the project.

Now, I'm thinking about the Ridgeline again. I don't want to buy a new one, because it'll be my "trash"/projects car/winter beater and I think a used one will be perfect for what I need. My dilemma now is what year and trim do I get, as well as other little considerations. The things that are going through my head now are:

- I really want to stay at about $10,000, which limits my options as far as the age and mileage of the car. I could go up to $15,000, but I would really rather not. Should I fork out the extra cash for a younger car with ~50,000 miles less?

- my friend will be selling his 2008 RTL with 140,000 miles in the spring, one owner, well maintained, no accidents, not sure about the price

- if I get my friend's car I have to pay taxes on it

- if I get the car from my friend, I have to sell my TL on the street and deal with buyers, no tax credit

- if I buy a Ridgeline from a dealer I can trade in my TL and get tax credit, which translates into not paying taxes at all, plus the convenience of the transaction, although I may be lowballed on the trade, and I'm not really sure what kind of car I'm getting, no history on it

- I think I want the leather seats, possibly one tone, but not super strict on it, I'll take a better car over "nicer' color, I guess I could get leather seat covers

- I heard that real life gas mileage is horrid, I drive about 70 miles a day, 60% open highway, 40% city/heavy traffic, should I worry?

So, what do you guys think?

·
0 Posts
What do you consider horrid mileage? My ratio of hwy to city is about the same as yours, and I get 19-20 mpg with my '07 RTX with 149,000 miles. Straight highway I get 21 or so. I do every bit of scheduled maintenance and expect it to last 300,000. Heck, I have had seat covers and a garage from day one and it still looks great inside and out. So yes to a used, well taken care of, Ridgline.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Can't say enough good things about the ridgeline. I am in a similar boat, limited on price. I ended up with an 09 RT I picked up for 12k a few months back with 99k miles. I love it. I would shoot for one that has been well maintained. I also preferred the look of the 09 and up

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What do you consider horrid mileage? My ratio of hwy to city is about the same as yours, and I get 19-20 mpg with my '07 RTX with 149,000 miles. Straight highway I get 21 or so.
hmmm... one of my friends told me that he's gettting 14mpg city only, and 17mpg on the highway?

·
Premium Member
2,166 Posts
Traded my Audi A4 turbo quattro 6-speed for my Ridgeline five years ago and was surprised that I haven't missed my Audi one bit. The RL is a surprisingly comfortable cruiser and super flexible, we just returned from a 725-mile holiday trip and we opted to take the RL and leave the wife's new Accord Touring at home. Had plenty of room for everything, a great view of the road, and got 20.1 mpg, not too shabby.

I opted for the RTL trim, knowing the navigation is archaic, but I really wanted all the options including leather seats. So far, everything is holding up really well and looks great.

RLs hold their value really well, I'd encourage you to pony up for the best RL your budget will allow.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,344 Posts
hmmm... one of my friends told me that he's gettting 14mpg city only, and 17mpg on the highway?
Thats about what I get in my 06. I think that part of it is peoples ideas of city driving and highway driving. I'm in the DC Metro area and traffic is always an issue hurting mileage. Short commutes will kill the mileage as will driving over 65mph. Winter gas and ethanol content will also effect peoples mileage experience.

In 09 Honda did a fairly significant refresh of the Ridge that included improvements to the transmission and engine. Better engine performance and slightly improved gas mileage were the end results. Your price range may make it tough to buy an 09 or later but it is worth considering if possible.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thats about what I get in my 06. I think that part of it is peoples ideas of city driving and highway driving. I'm in the DC Metro area and traffic is always an issue hurting mileage. Short commutes will kill the mileage as will driving over 65mph. Winter gas and ethanol content will also effect peoples mileage experience.
I live in Chicago, so I'm assuming I'll be looking at the same MPG as you and my friend. Kind of a bummer.

In 09 Honda did a fairly significant refresh of the Ridge that included improvements to the transmission and engine. Better engine performance and slightly improved gas mileage were the end results. Your price range may make it tough to buy an 09 or later but it is worth considering if possible.
Yes, after reading more about little changes between model years, I'm pretty much writing off '06-'08's, and sticking to '09 and up. I'm also upping my budget to ~$15,000. I'm also debating between RTS and RTL. Really the only think I want from the RTL is the leather. 115V outlet is also nice, but that's about it. Leather is the biggest thing for me. I wonder if I should just get leather seat covers, but then, that's essentially the price difference between the two.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,586 Posts
In Chicago you will also like the heated side mirrors and the seat heaters in the RTL. Otherwise, I think the RTS is the value buy. If you have to have a sunroof, you will also want an RTL.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I get 17 mpg on average with mostly city driving in my 2011 RTL. Granted my "city" driving is in Myrtle Beach so most of the time I'm not in bumper to bumper traffic except in the summer. I found my 2011 RTL with just under 60k miles for $21k but it was at a dealership where I used to work and I looked for 8 months to find the right one as far as miles, condition and price went. Couldn't be happier and I hope to put 300k on it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts