Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gas prices are hurting! I don't know if I will keep my ridge.
I went to the dealership I bought it from just to see what they would do on a trade with an accord. They wanted to do an even swap with my RTL S/R with tow hitch and hood deflector for a 2005 Accord 4 cylinder. This accord had a sticker price of 23,500. How crazy is that?? I paid 30,000 for this truck!! It only has 2600 miles on it. I feel like they tried to take advantage of me but I said NO WAY!! I believe I will keep my truck for now or maybe sell it outright. I don't see any light at the end of the tunnel for gas prices coming down.

Now I will say this. Of all the trucks on the road, I am thankful I bought a ridgeline. It is just sad that I can't afford to drive it more. :confused: but still :)

·
Registered
578 Posts
It almost NEVER pays off to trade a car in because of gas. You could have the truck paid off, but even then, think of the lost of value and think about how much gas you can buy with that money. You can trade it in and each month pay a $100 less at the pump, but infact you lost in the end, and usually a lot.

Regarding trading in... they are there to make money. So they will low ball you. It's the way it is.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I think trading in your RL at this point because of gas prices is a bit premature. Wholesale prices on gasoline have already started to drop and dispite prices being very high in the short term I would expect them to drop to below pre-Katrina prices after the system is up and running. The driving season is over and the oil companies don't want to lose money by having wells and refineries sit idle so they are rushing to get them back on line. But I would say that seeing gas stations vary by as much as $.40 a gallon within a mile of each other seems to point towards gouging by some. My susggestion would be to pick up a high mileage Civic or Accord for a couple grand and drive it until the wheels fall off. You save money on gas and wear and tear on your Ridgeline. I have a 1996 Accord that has 158,000 miles on it and stills gets 34 mpg on the highway.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Think "total cost of ownership" For me the truck allows us to do things we really want to do and that has a "cost" factor to it. When it comes to gas think what you can do with a gallon and then think of all the money we waste on junk stuff (renting DVDs, eating out etc:). Rising energy prices force us to look at our budgets, not a bad thing to do from time to time. Hang in there.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Gas prices are so painful, because you see about 30 reminders a day in numbers 3 foot high.

In my business, i drive about 25000 a year. Every time gas goes up another $1 a gallon, it costs me about $1000 a year. That seems like a lot, until I realize that it is the equivelent of 25 dinners out over the course of the year, or a couple hundred Starbucks.

My car means more to me than dinner out or coffee. So it's dinner in the dining room, coffe in a thermal cup from home, and I drive just like I always did.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Instead of driving to a nearby town 45 miles away to do some shopping today, we are staying home. I am catching up on the ROC because I have been out of touch for the past three or four weeks. I just found this thread after posting a note on another thread. It seems to dovetail with comments here so I thought that I would share it.

I will be driving back to PA from Florida in a couple of weeks with my daughters 2002 Ford Focus that we arranged a long distance trade-in for a new vehicle for her. Instead of trading it I just may keep it. The darn thing is in good shape but is only worth about $3000. It gets in the mid-twenties around town and mid-thirties on the highway. The Ridgeline may have to sit except for times when a bigger or nicer vehicle is necessary. If Gas hits and stays at or above $4.00 a gallon I am afraid that the Ridgeline will sit for so long that it may just have to go away. The cost to drive it will have nearly doubled since I bought it a few short months ago. That sure does take some of the fun and excitement out of driving it. If the $35K investment in it is not being used very much, I may be forced to make a difficult decision. Sadly, it is at risk.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Dude, if you think about it, even if gas was $2.00 a gallon, that's still gonna cost you $40.00 to fill it

Are you saying that you bought this truck without being able to afford the gas?

No flames here, but this just sounds a little odd that you can afford $30,000 but you can't afford $40.00 to $60.00 to fill it up.

That's a $20.00 difference

Again, no flames, but, It doesn't sound like you thought out the process of buying a vehicle very well. I think your just frustrated like the rest of us and remember, this is Labor Day Weekend. Gas is ALWAYS high this weekend.

Hang in there, there is light at the end of the tunnel.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Hang in with the rest of us, Hopefully gas prices will begin to come down after labor day & once things get sorted out in the Gulf post Katrina. Remember that the Ridgeline is probably one of the best MPG for trucks on the market today. We have to buy gas to work, get food go to school, visit friends. We just have no choice but pay the asking price if we want to do these things.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I agree with DWDrums. As the old saying goes "If you don't like it around here wait a couple of minutes, it'll change." Seriously, you need to cost this out before you do anything rash. If nothing else think of the safety issue. Think about you and your family driving around in a little high mileage peanut of a car. No comfort, low safety, poor resale all to save $100-$200 a month. It is too soon to make grand gestures.;)

·
Registered
626 Posts
I have that very same high-mileage Accord that was mentioned as a good daily driver -- and don't get me wrong, it's a great daily driver. When I was thinking about buying the RL, I did a whole spreadsheet (yes, I'm a dork) with the cost of using the RL for daily driving (plus maintenance, tires, etc.) versus the cost of keeping the Accord for daily driving (plus maintenance, tires, insurance, etc.), over three years, with the cost of gas going up each year.

Final numbers? It would *cost* me over $5000 after 3 years to hold on to the Accord, even though it gets better gas mileage. Granted a big chunk of this cost was car insurance -- in CA it's pretty much the worst I've ever seen. But even if you factored that out, it still would *cost* me to continue owning the Accord, which is why I'm selling it.

Before owning the RL, I always laughed about people owning new SUVs, trucks, etc. who then complain about the cost of gas. With the exception of people who need them to run their businesses (like my step-dad), a lot of people could've owned a wagon instead of an SUV, and rented a truck when they needed one, and would still be better off. But no, there's the prestige of owning that shiny new Ford Expedition that gets 12-15 MPG instead of that dorky little wagon (or even a minivan) that gets over 20 MPG. I was very unsympathetic. I still am. :) If you can make the car payments, you can afford the gas. If you can't, you shouldn't have bought, and now you're really going to pay for it because selling the car within the first 3 years of ownership is pretty much *always* going to result in a loss of one sort or another.

Best of luck to you. I hope you figure out a way to make it work. Make a spreadsheet -- maybe that will make you feel better.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Here's another thought.

buy an old beater car that you can use for a daily driver. I wound up having my Dad's old Caprice, which I was going to sell to help pay for the Ridge, but, thanks to a DMV screwup, I still have it, and now I have decided to keep it, and use it as a daily driver. The Ridge is saved for the weekends and longer trips.

So, I'll extend the lifespan of the Ridge, and save some on gas as well.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is why I love this forum! Open, honest responses to questions and comments. Like I said in my original post, I was thinking of selling my ridge but I like the idea of purchasing an old toyota or honda with high miles that gets good gas mileage and use it for work. Hopefully gas prices will come down. I still "love" my ridge. I can afford the extra cost of gas if I cut the extras like eating out and such. I will try and stay the course for a year or so and see what happens.

You all have a safe holiday.....and say a prayer for the Katrina victims.

·
Premium Member
2,879 Posts
Before I saw the Ridgeline for the first time, I was seriously considering getting a hybrid SUV. The problem was not that most of them out there are cars. I love being able to look ahead and sit high over traffic. I also wanted to get away from the SUV/station wagon configueration. I wanted passenger space when I needed it and room to transport my scuba, track, and misc. equipment when I wanted too. I'll be riding the motorcycle to work when it is not raining and I don't go to the gym after work. I'll have my RL for a long time regardless of how high the gas gets. I LOVE MY TRUCK!

·
Registered
19 Posts
When considering the purchase of the Accord for my commuter car I checked with my insurance company and by making the RL a low mileage vehicle and adding the Accord, my insurance actually went down. The taxes I pay are more than offset by the saving in gas cost (especially now and in the short term). And believe it or not I feel better about driving something that uses less fuel to work when I am by myself. My RL is now reserved for what I bought it for, safely moving my family and other truck type uses.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
True, a lot of what i said is rooted in frustration but given the choice of driving an econo-box for local trips Vs the Ridgeline (if gas hits $4.00), the econo-box may win. I dont care about the $3K investment and truck payments are not relevant here, it is more about the cost to operate the vehicle(s). I suspect thay my insurance may actually go down somewhat if I class the Ridgeline as 'Pleasure' and the econo-box as the daily driver with no collision coverage on it. My point has as much to do with the fun and excitement of driving the Ridgeline being diminished by the cost of fuel as it does with the actual cost of ownership per mile. Kinda sounds like frustration - doesn't it? Maybe if I traded the econo-box for a restored Austin-Healey 3000 MKII or even a Triumph GT-6 or an MGB, I could have as much fun driving a small car. See, there may be another reason to have a small car around - at least so I have been telling my wife. I already have her talked into another 2 or 3 car garage so now I gotta fill it up! Ya, that's it! Drive the Healey for 9 months and the Ridgeline in the winter! Perfect! You guys are great at figuring these things out! :) Ya, I know that premium costs a lot more for those cars - but who cares!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Gofsked,
I drive about 18000 miles a year with the Ridge. I get 17.5 mpg combined city country driving, thats 1030 gals for the year. If I treaded it in for something that avg 25 mph, it would use 18000/25 = 720 gals. I would save 310 gals/yr. At $4/gal thats $1200. Now your $6500 hit on a trade and it will take 5 yrs and 3 months to break even. At $3/gal thats $930 savings and it will take 7 years to break even. Is it worth it??? I will cut my wine intake and save $15/week for 52 weeks thats $720 savings and as the rest have said plan a little more on trips around and maybe cut the annual mileage down to 17000 miles and viola, we are not spending any more then we did.

Just my thoughts... :confused: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
I purchased the Ridgeline for a special vehicle, trips and such, to ensure we would be comfortable and safe. I kept my Accord for the comute to work and all the other running around. Cannot beat the 4 cyl Accord. I am on my 2nd Accord automatic after 9 Accords with a 5-speed. I just could not see getting away from the consistant 30 MPG. So save your Ridge and get a 4 cyl for your local driving. Gas will come back down this fall. Hang in there!

·
Registered
57 Posts
DWdrums said:
Dude, if you think about it, even if gas was $2.00 a gallon, that's still gonna cost you $40.00 to fill it
Now its $3.00 ++ but still you will lose lose if you trade in on something else. If you do deside to trade better keep it a long long time.

Goog luck.

·
Registered
993 Posts
I don't think we could afford to get rid of the RL because we bught it for its capabilities. We have a 87 Corolla that just won't die, and we'll hang onto it until we get our 06 Civic Si. The Wife drives the Corolla on her 5min commute to work and it's always parked out front just to jump in and go to the store while the RL is parked safely in the garage away from the harmful UV rays waiting for our next excursion which usually isn't too far away.

I think I'm also of the mind set you should have at least one good 4 banger beater that's great on gas just in case of emergencies like this.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts