Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
I'm starting to see better MPG's after 6000 miles and summer arriving. Cumputer says 23 average the last 300 miles mixed city/highway driving. It's impressive for a heavy truck that's not aerodynamic. When I really gas 'er it has this loud, metallic sound of pistons slamming up and down. Maybe it's a characteristic of the direct injection, giving it that hard edge sound. But I rarely drive her hard like that.

The transmission is really smooth and dialed-in to all kinds of stopping and starting, cruising, whatever.

The seats are very supportive, and tight feeling, but lots of cushion in them, yet still firm.

The stock stereo sound in the 2022 Sport is good. Not great, but pretty good. Good enough for me playing jazz, and pop tunes, and radio. The interface sucks though. Laggy awful touchscreen.

Did you drive the new Nissan Frontier? I wanted to test drive it, but they weren't available at the time so bought the Ridgeline.
No I did not get to try the new Frontier they look really nice and so does the interior and from what I seen on test reviews it seems pretty happy towing. The bad is the MPG is pretty low the same guy who tested the Ridgeline on the highway real world mpg testing only got about 21.5 mpg on his test.

Compared to a 4x4 Titan in real world driving get 19-20 mpg on the highway in the same test so other than how crazy expensive and large full sized trucks are it seems like Nissan could have done a better job on the Frontier engine or maybe have a 4 Cylinder turbo charged choice.

·
Registered
148 Posts
No I did not get to try the new Frontier they look really nice and so does the interior and from what I seen on test reviews it seems pretty happy towing. The bad is the MPG is pretty low the same guy who tested the Ridgeline on the highway real world mpg testing only got about 21.5 mpg on his test.

Compared to a 4x4 Titan in real world driving get 19-20 mpg on the highway in the same test so other than how crazy expensive and large full sized trucks are it seems like Nissan could have done a better job on the Frontier engine or maybe have a 4 Cylinder turbo charged choice.
I agree. Nissan, and others, could have actually made another small truck with a turbo 4 that gets 30 mpg highway. But Nissan, all they did was update the body design, add a monster engine, and now they can brag about category stats. All the automakers went with what they call a midsize truck, but to me it is really a full size truck, this Ridgeline. 4500 pounds and a 3.5 liter engine. Feels heavy, yet it's a unibody with independent suspension, and I've not driven a full-size truck ever. The Ridgeline drives pretty damn nice. Nissan took a turn the wrong way, years ago. It was such a good automaker.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I agree. Nissan, and others, could have actually made another small truck with a turbo 4 that gets 30 mpg highway. But Nissan, all they did was update the body design, add a monster engine, and now they can brag about category stats. All the automakers went with what they call a midsize truck, but to me it is really a full size truck, this Ridgeline. 4500 pounds and a 3.5 liter engine. Feels heavy, yet it's a unibody with independent suspension, and I've not driven a full-size truck ever. The Ridgeline drives pretty damn nice. Nissan took a turn the wrong way, years ago. It was such a good automaker.
I have driven full sized trucks and they have come a long way for ride comfort and steering feel. I just think they have all gotten way to big and packaged in a way to make all the nice stuff only available on the largest cabs. It would be refreshing to see them allow smaller cab have better trims.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
That is how I learned to Drive Off-Road so all the goodies other than 4wd on my Tacoma I have not even need yet. I do a lot of solo off-roading so I tend to error on the side of caution. I was watch a video on youtube a guy doing real world driving on the highway and he was getting 28 mpg in the Ridgeline with eco mode on which would be nice for long highway trips. The same guy tested the Taco and averaged 22mpg. I hate the fact that according to my computer my max range is 350 miles which is pretty lame and now I got to to a uhaul trailer on a two day trip for a job move. I am going to guess I will need to stop every 150-200 miles to fill up for gas which might be tricky. I know in some states you might be on a stretch of road that long with no gas stations maybe I should get a gas can before I leave and have spare gas just in case =:(
I tend to drive too fast to get optimal gas mileage, but I've gotten 28mpg loping along at 70-ish on a trip, and there were some mountains involved. Running the 50 miles to our lake cabin - about 1/2 interstate at 75mph and half two-lane roads at about 50mph - and they're hilly and winding - I usually end up averaging about 25-26.5, which I think is pretty good. However, the range won't likely exceed the 350 you mentioned

The AWD system is really excellent on bad weather, but also on dry roads. I can push it some on those two-lanes and believe I can feel the torque vectoring. And I'm totally addicted to the two-way tailgate, the under-seat storage and especially the trunk.

Mine is a 2019, so it has the 6 speed transmission, not the 9 speed that you're looking at. Before that I had a 2007, which was great, but getting too rusty and a little grungy, though my SIL has it now, so I can still visit :).

Anyway, best of luck with whichever way you go.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Yup or even could put a dirt bike or smaller adventure bike in the bed of the truck. Or pull quads on a trailer which would be fun just more expensive option. That is one thing that sucks about NM from where I live most the off road trails are only for things under a certain width typically smaller side by side or a quad. They really limit where you can take a truck off road here which wont matter soon since I am moving for a job in Kentucky. I have no idea if they have much in the way of off-roading there maybe by the appalachian mountains they might. On a side not NM sucks as a state.
Curious - where in Kentucky? I live in Northern Kentucky, in the suburbs of Cincinnati, so I don't have much of an accent, lol.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I have a job offer I accepted from Kentucky University Medical Center in Lexington KY hopefully I like it.
I like Lexington, which is a smallish city with a lot of gorgeous horse country/stables around it. There's a beautiful and popular old horse race track there called Keeneland, located right across from the airport. If you like horseracing, you're in luck. I don't know about trails around there, but I wouldn't be surprised if you find some.

Hope it's a good place for you.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I tend to drive too fast to get optimal gas mileage, but I've gotten 28mpg loping along at 70-ish on a trip, and there were some mountains involved. Running the 50 miles to our lake cabin - about 1/2 interstate at 75mph and half two-lane roads at about 50mph - and they're hilly and winding - I usually end up averaging about 25-26.5, which I think is pretty good. However, the range won't likely exceed the 350 you mentioned

The AWD system is really excellent on bad weather, but also on dry roads. I can push it some on those two-lanes and believe I can feel the torque vectoring. And I'm totally addicted to the two-way tailgate, the under-seat storage and especially the trunk.

Mine is a 2019, so it has the 6 speed transmission, not the 9 speed that you're looking at. Before that I had a 2007, which was great, but getting too rusty and a little grungy, though my SIL has it now, so I can still visit :).

Anyway, best of luck with whichever way you go.
Lake Cabin... sounds nice. But yes, the AWD sys is really good. Love it in snow.
2-way taigate - yes, love it.

·
Registered
2021 Ridgeline Sport
1,143 Posts
Taco's are just to small for me, and I barely fit in a Ridgeline. I had a Titan, which I did like a lot, but after reading about engines being replaced (gas powered) I was getting worried. Sure enough, the guy that bought my Titan had a new engine installed in it about 2 months after he bought it--under warranty. My v-8 powered truck with the 7 speed achieved about the same mileage as you Tacoma, and my ridge gets 25-27 MPG all the time, doing 70 MPH. Driving slower, say 55, will see almost 28 as long as your not in a bunch of hills. The trick to get better mileage is inflate your tires to 39 PSI cold, this is not overinflated, but reduces the rolling resistance for a couple of more MPG. You'll like Lexington, I live south of Louisville.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Lake Cabin... sounds nice. But yes, the AWD sys is really good. Love it in snow.
2-way taigate - yes, love it.
It's very small and not fancy - kind of a fishing shack, really - but we love it out there. The last 3 miles are on a gravel road with big steep hills, and sometimes some major potholes, but the RL is very happy on that - gotta be careful not to get ripping along too fast :).

·
Registered
43 Posts
Not sure about MPG and range, the Ridge's tank is 19.5 gal, let's say 18 gal usable capacity. I'm averaging 16-17 MPG, all city and service roads, that's 300 miles of range. I was hoping for 20 MPG, but...
I've owned 5 Toyota cars before, but was not really considering a Tacoma.
The Ridge is roomier, quitter, and coupled with more comfortable suspension, more suv like interior and better interior materials it's just feels nicer, like a more expensive vehicle.
IMO the Tacoma is a truck-truck and Ridge is a "civilian" truck, SUV with a cargo bed. No offence to anyone. :)
I didn't see me going from an Avalon car to Tacoma due to differences in the interior size and comfort, but a Ridge feels pretty nice and comfy.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Not sure about MPG and range, the Ridge's tank is 19.5 gal, let's say 18 gal usable capacity. I'm averaging 16-17 MPG, all city and service roads, that's 300 miles of range. I was hoping for 20 MPG, but...
I've owned 5 Toyota cars before, but was not really considering a Tacoma.
The Ridge is roomier, quitter, and coupled with more comfortable suspension, more suv like interior and better interior materials it's just feels nicer, like a more expensive vehicle.
IMO the Tacoma is a truck-truck and Ridge is a "civilian" truck, SUV with a cargo bed. No offence to anyone. :)
I didn't see me going from an Avalon car to Tacoma due to differences in the interior size and comfort, but a Ridge feels pretty nice and comfy.
In discussion with the dealership ultimately I would only consider it if the price is right. If they are in the neighborhood of what I want. Then I will test drive it and see if it something I want.

If not then I will just wait for the 2023 year to come out.

·
Registered
612 Posts
One other thing: I don't go off-road on trails and stuff, just dirt roads sometimes. But one thing I noticed (2022 Ridgeline) is the great all-wheel-drive system in snow.
All-time AWD is superior for 99% off the driving most truck owners do. The Tacoma in 2WD is quite unstable in snow and slush, which is a bummer if you drive on a lot of mixed surfaces during the winter. Also 4WD is prone to skidding, as the wheels losing traction do not stop spinning.

I traded a 2019 Tacoma Off-Road in 2/20 for a 2020 Ridgeline RTL-E. Had 36K miles on the Toyota and now have 20K miles on the Honda. In real world driving the Ridgeline is getting 30% better gas mileage over the Tacoma.

I just did a 600 mile highway trip not towing and had 24.5 mpg. We also just 1200 mile camping trip pulling our 2300lb trailer and had a cumulative mpg of 18.4mpg. Our Tacoma never got over 13.5 mpg pulling our camper. Also the 9 speed handles towing so much better than the Tacoma’s 6 speed. Tacoma had trouble picking gears all the time.

Only negatives on the switch is the bed height is shorter in the Ridgeline. We need to put our generator in the trunk as itwon’t fit under the cover. However, the Honda does have a trunk and wider and 4” longer bed.

2nd negative is we bought the old nose 2020 rather than waiting on the 2021. Not as nice looking but tolerable.

Never went off-road so the Tacoma’s setup was totally wasted. We could never run in 4 wheel drive the required miles to keep system lubricated as recommended in the owners manual. I like have AWD much better as we are always on pavement.

Also, the seating comfort alone is worth the switch. We do long distance drives all the time now that we are retired and the Ridgeline is a “huge” improvement in comfort all around. DW wouldn’t even drive the Toyota as she could never get a comfortable seating position. Now she has no issue sharing the driving on long trips in the Ridgeline.
I second everything you said about the Tacoma. Great looking little truck with great resale value, and a good platform for off-roading, however, just not up to par with the Ridgeline everywhere else. If you are seriously off-roading, you won’t worry much about bottoming out. On the road though there’s just no comparison.

The ZF 9-speed is far superior to the archaic Tacoma 6-speed. And it tows MUCH better.

I think a slightly lifted RL with skid plates and aggressive tires would sell like hotcakes.

That's really good to know on the towing MPG the other vehicle I was thinking about was a Chevy/GM Canyon with the diesel for better towing and mpg. That being said I know diesels are expensive maintenance wise also very expensive to fix. And GM/Chevy reliability has not been to great the last few years from what I have seen so a bigger risk of things falling apart later.

I also think many of the smaller trucks towing ratings are overly optimistic border line lying. Taco is rated for 6500 pounds but I dont think it should be pushed much beyond 4k just because of the transmission and engine is so unhappy doing it. My old ridgeline seem ok with towing 5k loads I did put on a extra transmission cooler though but everything felt solid. My Tacoma struggles to find gears even not towing up a hill cant imagine towing.
If you are doing a lot of towing or extremely concerned about gas mileage, the GM diesels seem like good trucks, with good off-road capabilities. The downsides are $$$, and SLOW.

·
Registered
612 Posts
There is a comparison video out there with the Ridgeline vs Tacoma vs Frontier in which the RL did much better on a long stretch of washboard road. In fact, the latter 2 lost most of their shocks. So for mild to moderate off-roading, where ground clearance is not an issue, the RL might even be superior to the BOF trucks.

·
Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
6,098 Posts
Clearance - the lift kits don't give you any more clearance due to unibody construction
You can get a half inch maybe with different tires.

that is a correct statement, what is the question?
The body is lifted. Aside from basic geometry, there are a lot of pics on this forum to prove it.

The lower A-arms stay at stock height, but anybody with any offroading knowledge can pick a line to eliminate concerns in that area.

What you're saying is like saying a body-on-frame truck gains no clearance with a lift kit because the differential(s) is(are) still in the stock location(s).

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have owned several Tacoma's and they are very nice well respected vehicles. I personally do not see myself going back to a Tacoma, because for the "vast majority" of my needs the Ridgeline is the better choice, .e.g., very nice ride, storage, bed, rear seat configuration, etc.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts