Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've never owned a Ridgeline, but am thinking of buying an '08 RTX. The truck has 110,000 miles on it. It seems like it's been well cared for. The owner bought it new, and had it serviced at the Honda dealership through 60,000 with a maintenance package he bought. Since 60,000 miles he's had it serviced at a local mechanic. Oil has been changed about every 5,000 miles. The truck has not had the timing belt and water pump done (I would have this done immediately).

The interior and exterior look good. It's always been garaged. It seems to run and drive nice. Tires have about 20,000 miles on them.

Here's a question: I asked the owner if the transmission fluid had ever been changed. He doesn't remember ever changing it. He said "It would have been done by Honda if it was required in the first 60,000...It wouldn't have been done since 60,000".

How concerned should I be if the fluid hasn't been changed with 110,000 on it?

I can pick this RL up for $10,000. My mechanic (not a Honda dealer) will do the timing belt, tensioner, and water pump for $650.

Any advice on this truck? Does the price seem ok?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,577 Posts
Did the PO tow with it? The RTX came with the full factory tow package standard... which would make one think that is why the PO bought that particular trim.

You ask a very good question. It doesn't sound like the PO maintained the RTX per the MM, at least for the last 50k miles. That is not necessarily a bad thing, as long as he took care of the other items that need routine servicing too.

I would take a hard look at the tranny fluid. At least pull the dipstick and check color and odor. Better yet, suck out a sample and send it to Blackstone for testing. But you may not have time for that option.

If you buy it, also consider replacing the radiator along with spark plugs, serpentine belt and tensioner, and a valve adjustment. Struts may also need some attention. Brake fluid should be changed every 3 years too. And I would also recommend that you change the power steering fluid every 50k-ish miles.

From a routine maintenance perspective in normal service, the transfer assembly and rear diff fluid (VTM-4 fluid) should be changed every 30k miles. More often if used in severe service (frequent towing). I don't see any mention of that in your post.

While the PO seems to have taken good care of the OCIs at 5k mile intervals, I'm not sure, based on your observations, that he knew anything else that needed to be taken care of for an AWD vehicle like the RL.

If he's local to you, maybe you can talk to the mechanic he used to do his work since the 60k mile mark. That might give you a better idea of the service history. Also, see if you can find out if the private mechanic used OEM fluids or not.

Good luck!

Here are some maintenance guidelines you can use in lieu of the MM schedule since that doesn't seem to have been the POs service schedule.

Normal service schedule:

Severe service schedule:

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
I have a 2007 RTX, just because you have an RTX doesn't mean it was pulling a lot of stuff, just a better deal to have the tow package installed. I had my Transmission fluid changed per the Maintenance Minder at 43K and 72k. Some light towing a couple times a year, but otherwise in town general transportation.

I'd want to know a service history to ensure routine maintenance was done. If the RL seems to be running well, change all of the fluids. On the Timing belt, IMHO use Honda OEM parts, and also look at your radiator to ensure the fittings are not about to go that could mix radiator fluid and transmission fluid. Perhaps a new radiator would also be in the mix.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts