Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my 07 Ridgeline for a couple of months now and am pretty pleased overall. Prior to this, I have never driven anything but full size Chevy trucks so Honda was a new expierence and I caught a little grief by buying a Honda, but I am converting them! The biggest problem I have had, besides the disappointing gas milage, is the cover on top of the cab that houses the brake light pops off every time I get the truck washed. The first time, it broke all of the plastic clips. The last time, it just poped them all loose and the dealer was able to snap them back on. Is Honda addressing this problem? I know I am not the only one with the issue because the dealer said they know it is a problem and they told me to not take it through a car wash. That was the wrong answer of course so I am hoping Honda comes up with a fix.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Hey TwinCam,

Sorry about your cover coming off. I take my truck through a car wash about every other week (since Sept 06) and have NEVER had the cover come loose or pop off. I think your dealer needs to take a closer look at the problem, or you might want to find a different dealership.

Also, as far as I know, the clips are not to be reused. I believe there is a problem with them not working or clipping as tightly once they've been pulled out. The dealership should have known this and replaced the clips each time the cover comes off.

Keep pressing them for the right answers. It shouldn't be a fight, but some dealerships just don't understand "Customer Service". That's why I switched dealerships. My new one (Grappone Honda in Concord, NH --- ding! free plug!) has been G-R-E-A-T!!!!!!

Let us know how this works out.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bob,

The dealer, Victory Honda in Muncie, has actually been pretty good. The first time, they did replace the clips because they were broken. The second time, none were broken and they just snapped it back on and I drove to FL and back, over 2000 miles, and not a problem. I stopped by the car wash to talk to them about it and they said that they can turn the blowers off so that is probably what I will do the next time I get it washed. Thanks for the response. I really do like this truck a lot. On the FL trip, I towed a 12' enclosed trailer to Atlanta, loaded it up, and then picked it up on my way back through and the Ridgeline never missed a beat. Although a little underpowered pulling a load like that, once you were up to speed, the ride was actually better than my wife's Tahoe. I made a believer out of her.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I have taken mine through our carwash at least 2x a week for a year now and my brake light "thingy" has never come off! You definitly have a problem:eek:
And, yes we have a blower.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I took mine through the wash for the 1st time and mine did the same thing. At least I work at the dealer and they just warrantied it...I only have 1400 miles on it. No more drive through car washes for my RL.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
My suggestion to this design flaw is to spot a quarter-sized blob of automotive silicone in the center area below the center clip. This will prevent the apron from lifting again and can be easily removed (if necessary) with a slight pull.:)

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Doesn't silicone eat paint?

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Doesn't silicone eat paint?
I presume it would when mixed with brake fluid, otherwise there is no reaction between the two.:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've read posts about the third brake light panel making whistling noises, but not falling off. Last night on the freeway this whole panel blew completely off taking the brake light with it. I was going the speed limit of 75mph when it happened. I bought my RL used but with only 25k miles and in excellent condition and have been driving it for about a month now with no problems until now.

Does anyone know if this is a common problem? Also what is the part name so I can order it? And where is a good place to order it?

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,163 Posts
I've seen this reported when the panel has been removed and then put back on with old clips. You must use new clips when the panel is reinstalled.

Sorry... just realized I left off the first page of the instructions.

·
Premium Member
4,576 Posts
Try the ROC sponsor, H and A Honda. They've always seemed to have a good price. Also, as stated above, don't try to reuse any clips, even ones left in the truck. Replace with all new ones and you should be okay.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i ended up taking it to a dealership to ask about the part. They said it would be covered under the manufacturers warranty. They had someone look at it and said they have seen this happen just a few times and someone probably just did a lazy install job on it. Good news is I get it replaced for free, but I still have to wait for them to special order the part.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Same thing happened to me yesterday, just blew off doing about 65 on the freeway. It's no longer under warranty so I guess I'll have to pay for a new one. Having a little trouble locating the part if anyone knows where to find it.

·
Premium Member
1,685 Posts
Why would anyone take the trim piece off in the first place? Changing the third brake lights perhaps?
Interesting..

·
Registered
2,568 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
Just curious, did you hear the howling noise shortly before it blew off?

·
Super Moderator
6,092 Posts
Here on this site a few people have taken the trim off to place the XM antenna in there so it is not exposed.

Brad

·
Registered
128 Posts
To answer some of the other questions...

My panel was off a couple years ago to replace the weather stripping because of the whistle that comes when it gets worn out. It was done under warranty at the dealership. I've had the truck now 4 years and have 50K miles so I don't expect this to be covered.

I heard no howl or whistle before, there was some noise but I had a full load in the bed with a tarp and cargo net so noise was sorta common with crosswinds. All I heard was a louder pop and saw it in my rearview mirror. I was towing my daughter's car and it hit her hood and broke in two, luckily nothing hit my wife who was following closely behind and this was a rare moment when no one was beside me heading east out of San Antonio on I 10. There are some marks on my daughter's hood but they should buff out.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 86 Posts