Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Posted on FB by Honda, assume by one of the marketing guys. Like the 2 way tail gate was just invented and comes on the 2017 RL. Duh

Attachments

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Some of their target demographic was probably not old enough to drive when the Gen1 came out in 2005. Think about it.

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Some of their target demographic was probably not old enough to drive when the Gen1 came out in 2005. Think about it.
There are still, after nearly 11 years, folks at Sams and Costco amazed at the 2 way tail gate and in bed truck.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
There are still, after nearly 11 years, folks at Sams and Costco amazed at the 2 way tail gate and in bed truck.
Yeah. While there were a few younger people who bought the Gen1 Ridgeline, it really was a middle age to old man's truck. I bought my first one when I was 42. Pretty sure the new demographic is aimed at a much younger crowd.

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
Posted on FB by Honda, assume by one of the marketing guys. Like the 2 way tail gate was just invented and comes on the 2017 RL. Duh
That's what I posted yesterday some guy on youtube reporting from Detroit Auto Show showing Ridgeline features was like now it can open each way. The way he made it sound like this was something new and not carry over or improved feature.
I said look at that dumb *** don't know crap.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I was always stunned by people being surprised with the dual action tailgate as well as the in-bed trunk... But I guess some people really do live under a rock..

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
Well, as anybody who has been a ROC member for any length of time know, the RL is Honda’s best kept secret. I have owned my RL for almost 10 and ½ years and I still have people asking me what I am driving. Most of the time, I get the response, “Really…THAT’S a Honda?”

Example: I use my truck to haul friends around on occasion and, the other day I was with my friend and his son at a local clay range, I opened up the tailgate in the swing mode to get our shotguns out, and my friend’s son said, “That’s cool…but wouldn’t it be better if it swung down like a “normal” (he used air/finger quotes around the word normal) truck tailgate?” So, I closed it and opened it in normal mode. He was impressed and said, “Wow, I didn’t know there were any trucks out there…where their tailgate did that. That is really neat!”

So, after over 10 years of being on the market, there are a lot of people out there that know absolutely nothing about the RL. So, might as well market them (the swing-out tailgate and trunk) as something completely new.

Looking at the first picture in this post…where the tailgate is open in swing mode and the trunk is open…at least they have it open like that. I dunno how many ads for the RL I have seen with the tailgate down and the trunk open. I dunno about anybody else, but I almost NEVER use my trunk like that…I always swing the tailgate out and open the trunk…and it just drives me buggy that they show the trunk open with the tailgate down. I dunno why it bugs me as much as it does…it just does, dang it! :act018:

·
Registered
77 Posts
I was always stunned by people being surprised with the dual action tailgate as well as the in-bed trunk... But I guess some people really do live under a rock..
Last week I stopped by an Amish hardware store to get a propane tank refilled. I swung open the tailgate.. The Amish guy told me it was cool.. He never saw anything like it.

·
Registered
219 Posts
at least 1/3 to 1/2 the folks I show it to are amazed....still......and the trunk......'Murica.....:act060:

·
Registered
971 Posts
Actually I think it was or is still Honda that lived under the rock. They freaked out after a year or two of low sells and forget about it like a bad habit. Even the first two years which was decent they still didn't bother to advertise it all that well other than Barry Manilow and Grizzly bear stuff. In fact I didn't even know that commercial even exsisted until the ROC.

Countless times of TV Honda adds and at the end frame was their model lineup but each time the RL was missing. It was like it was an embarrassment for them. Why? Could they not just slip in a one second pity clip of it and throw us a bone. I liked it I'm sure others did, and yet so many didn't even know about it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Us Element owners are in a similar boat. More were sold than RL's, but I'm constantly getting comments like "wow this has tons of room", "wow those seats fold up like that", or "this will haul a lot". Marketed at youngsters like an xB instead of older folks that could use the utility.

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, as anybody who has been a ROC member for any length of time know, the RL is Honda’s best kept secret. I have owned my RL for almost 10 and ½ years and I still have people asking me what I am driving. Most of the time, I get the response, “Really…THAT’S a Honda?”

Example: I use my truck to haul friends around on occasion and, the other day I was with my friend and his son at a local clay range, I opened up the tailgate in the swing mode to get our shotguns out, and my friend’s son said, “That’s cool…but wouldn’t it be better if it swung down like a “normal” (he used air/finger quotes around the word normal) truck tailgate?” So, I closed it and opened it in normal mode. He was impressed and said, “Wow, I didn’t know there were any trucks out there…where their tailgate did that. That is really neat!”

So, after over 10 years of being on the market, there are a lot of people out there that know absolutely nothing about the RL. So, might as well market them (the swing-out tailgate and trunk) as something completely new.

Looking at the first picture in this post…where the tailgate is open in swing mode and the trunk is open…at least they have it open like that. I dunno how many ads for the RL I have seen with the tailgate down and the trunk open. I dunno about anybody else, but I almost NEVER use my trunk like that…I always swing the tailgate out and open the trunk…and it just drives me buggy that they show the trunk open with the tailgate down. I dunno why it bugs me as much as it does…it just does, dang it! :act018:

Attachments

·
Registered
462 Posts
News flash, not everyone in the country knows everything about the previous Ridgeline...
How true! Out here in Western Colorado, virtually no one knows anything about the Ridgeline--Gen1 or Gen2--except the handful of owners. Honda sold a few (we bought two), but they never caught on--hardly see one any more.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Actually I think it was or is still Honda that lived under the rock. They freaked out after a year or two of low sells and forget about it like a bad habit. Even the first two years which was decent they still didn't bother to advertise it all that well other than Barry Manilow and Grizzly bear stuff. In fact I didn't even know that commercial even exsisted until the ROC.

Countless times of TV Honda adds and at the end frame was their model lineup but each time the RL was missing. It was like it was an embarrassment for them. Why? Could they not just slip in a one second pity clip of it and throw us a bone. I liked it I'm sure others did, and yet so many didn't even know about it.
Because it was ugly. Honda took a chance with the design and everyone who like it bought one. They couldn't change the sheet metal so they just let it wither on the vine. My friends loved everything once they got in but couldn't get past the looks.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts