Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday we had to drive through a very heavy rainstorm throught Jacksonville Arkansas, it had be raining hard for over 3 hours, dropping an average of 3" per hours. There was alot of standing water on the interstate & in areas water was flowing across the interstate, the car in front of me got swept onto the hard shoulder. Both lanes were packed with heavy traffic, my front wheels started to move/hydroplane, but the the rear wheel got traction & I was able to miss the car infront of me and stay on the interstate. Man it scared the crap out of me. But I believe it was the 4 x 4 systen & stability control systems that saved our butts that day. The Ridgeline is a great little truck. I am now a dedicated Honda owner. Also the inside of my truck stayed dry. :)

·
Registered
224 Posts
Great story! The safety features like VSA, etc. were in one of the main reasons I bought this truck. It's good to hear how it works in real life situations.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
I agree, a great story and another plus for the Ridgeline. But how does this VSA work actually? I know it reacts to road conditions even before we do and sends traction to where it is needed but how? I mean how does this thing do what it does?

L

·
0 Posts
Glad to know you and the family are alright.
Glad to know that you have so much confidence in Honda, I know they appreciate it.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Shortspark
I only know that it sends power to the wheels with most traction. My wife & dog were blessed that the systems worked so quickly, I was just trying to keep on the interstate & out of the way of the car that got washed off the road. I prayed hard in thanks at church this morining. :)

·
Premium Member
6,881 Posts
I'm glad he's there, looking out for all of us! Your new truck too!!

·
Registered
447 Posts
I think it's traction control that sends power to the wheel(s) with the most traction. VSA can brake one or more wheels as needed because the computer can determine and follow the laws of physics better and faster than the driver so it will brake one or two wheels if needed to keep the truck following a curve properly to avoid a spin out, and it can do the same thing to keep the truck driving straight if you're slipping in that situation, so that has a similar effect as traction control, but better.

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,050 Posts
Yet another great story of how the G1 RL is amazing. I always say this truck is VASTLY over engineered and it shows in situations like this. Gary and his team literally thought of everything. The G1 can do things that it really shouldn't be able to do and I still attest that it is by far one of the best inclement weather road vehicles on the planet. Whereas one may complain of the gas mileage or the relatively slow acceleration, the weight of the truck coupled with the VTM-4 system, responsive steering and good tires will get you out of any sticky situation. I can't count how many times my RL has done that for me and there are likely other times where it did so and I didn't even know it - because it's that good. Very glad to hear that you and your family made it through that scary situation! I think The Big Guy had something to do with putting traction on that wheel, too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts