Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
…it turned out to be the brake pedal, at least from my initial troubleshooting.

On the way back from work, I suddenly noticed halfway home that I couldn’t make the transmission kick down no matter how much I floored the accelerator. I got a bad feeling - I have a 2020 with the ZF9 transmission, so I hoped I wouldn’t get a code saying it broke somehow. After getting home I came back into the garage and saw a red glow on the door behind my truck; turns out, the brake pedal wasn’t moving all the way back to disable the lights but enough to not apply brakes. But that’s apparently enough for the truck to think I’m driving with both feet on the pedals, so it doesn’t kick down when I press the accelerator like it should.

This is a real driving safety hazard. My brake lights are on all the time and I can’t get the acceleration I want from a stop to avoid oncoming traffic. My only counter is using my left foot to pull the pedal back completely (about half a centimeter) but this doesn’t always work as the pedal can move back down and turn on the brake lights while I drive.

I want to troubleshoot this and fix myself if it’s simple enough, but I’d welcome any advice on if lubing the brake pedal would make a difference (and if so where to apply that) or if this is a brake booster issue that I need to let the dealer handle under warranty.

·
Registered
201 Posts
…it turned out to be the brake pedal, at least from my initial troubleshooting.

On the way back from work, I suddenly noticed halfway home that I couldn’t make the transmission kick down no matter how much I floored the accelerator. I got a bad feeling - I have a 2020 with the ZF9 transmission, so I hoped I wouldn’t get a code saying it broke somehow. After getting home I came back into the garage and saw a red glow on the door behind my truck; turns out, the brake pedal wasn’t moving all the way back to disable the lights but enough to not apply brakes. But that’s apparently enough for the truck to think I’m driving with both feet on the pedals, so it doesn’t kick down when I press the accelerator like it should.

This is a real driving safety hazard. My brake lights are on all the time and I can’t get the acceleration I want from a stop to avoid oncoming traffic. My only counter is using my left foot to pull the pedal back completely (about half a centimeter) but this doesn’t always work as the pedal can move back down and turn on the brake lights while I drive.

I want to troubleshoot this and fix myself if it’s simple enough, but I’d welcome any advice on if lubing the brake pedal would make a difference (and if so where to apply that) or if this is a brake booster issue that I need to let the dealer handle under warranty.
Why would you want to fix it yourself, It is under warranty? Take it to the dealer and let them deal with it.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why would you want to fix it yourself, It is under warranty? Take it to the dealer and let them deal with it.
Two reasons. First, some things truly are DIY level and can save time and money. Second, and more importantly, some issues are also caused by the user and easily remedied, which otherwise waste both their and the shop’s time.

Luckily case in point, this was caused by me. After taking care of the kid and having time to focus, I went out and took a look under the dash. Lo and behold, a simple fix revealed itself. Have you ever stretched your legs by the pedals because they got stiff? I do that, and that may be what caused this. The brake system/lights off switch was kicked out of alignment. There isn’t any kind of guard over it, Honda just assumes not many people are stupid enough to kick up into the dash like me lol.

The photos marked in red show the module crooked, the blue shows it snapped back correctly.

Happy to solve it with very little headache.

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Personal luxury car
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive exterior Bumper
Hood Electrical wiring Motor vehicle Cable Automotive exterior

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This can happen to most ANY modern vehicle made since the early 2010's with Brake-Throttle Override, Brake Override, or Brake Priority Logic (goes by different names) that came about after the Toyota "stuck accelerator fiasco".
Thanks, I had forgotten that was a big issue - I was in high school at the time too and wasn’t paying much attention to cars and how they worked.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.