Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For some reason I have decided I need a Porsche Boxster as a play car. There was one about 200 miles from me, so I burnt a day of vacation to go and check out the car. As luck would have it, it was raining when I left and it proceeded to get worse as I drove northeast. When I arrived at the midway point, which was Chattanooga, the rain was pounding and intense. Luckily north of Atlanta, the clouds gave way to some sun for a short time, which was long enough for me to evaluate and test drive the Boxster.

So, here are my thoughts on the Ridgeline during the trip..

I drove mainly at the speed limit or below because of the rain. I managed 22MPG..tops. There was no one else in the truck, so that is about the best I'm going to see. I'm getting 17-18 MPG in town, so I have no complaints about the gas mileage.

Ride comfort was very good. Nice quiet ride (other than the pounding rain). XM radio is wonderful and the navigation was helpful. I simply cannot find anything wrong with the ride comfort for this truck.

From my perspective, I would have liked the windshield wipers to be a little faster on the low setting. Even with a mild rain, I had to turn it on hi to keep the windshield clear. When the rain was pounding it wouldn't matter how fast you could make the wipers go - it wasn't going to help.

When I got within about 6 miles of my arrival point, the navigation took a dump and quit on me. Something about a disk error and go see the dealer. I called the owner of the Boxster and he walked me thru the remainder of the trip via phone.

I've owned several trucks in my lifetime and this one by far has exceeded all of them as far as ride comfort. My wife agrees with me on this fact. I am now thinking of dumping my LS430 and making the Ridgeline my daily driver.

In case you're wondering, the trip was a bust. This particular Boxster was a waste of time. I learned a few lessons that should allow me to better evaluate one before I decide to make another trip...

·
Premium Member
2,185 Posts
I agree, the RL is a great truck for traveling. I've made several 1,000-mile treks without any back problems.

Rain-X with Rain-X wipers is the way to go IMHO. Once you are traveling over 40mph, you can see better with the wipers off.

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
Agree on Rain-X.

Also, depending on the age of the Boxster, examine the sides of the block for oil seepage. In some years, the aluminum casting is slightly porous.

Chip H.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good tip. I'll try the Rain-X.

Yes, there are numerous issues to look out for with the Boxsters, namely IMS, AOS, and RMS problems. I was all set to have a PPI on this car, but the extreme lack of maintenance was a deal breaker. For instance, even though it was a low mileage car (47K), the owner hadn't changed the oil since 2011 and while in his ownership (11 years) he never changed the brakes. There were other tell tale signs if you looked beneath the impeccable interior and exterior….

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,409 Posts
Not necessary where I live, but when on a road trip from Maryland to Alabama a few years ago. Rain-X was invaluable @ or under the speed limit on I-81 it was the best thing we did before heading out. Loads of rain along the route and some fog and it's a definite improvement over driving without.

·
Registered
482 Posts
We swear by Rain-X. We use it on all our vehicles, on all the windows and especially the outside mirrors. The last two times we went to FL from ONT (approx 3000 mi round trip) we took the Ridge as my wife finds it to be more comfortable with more room and better visibility than her car (E 320 MB) on long trips.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Drove the ridge on many a trip, it got to be the only vehicle we take on a vacation now because of the ride comfort and the room in the cab, My wife loves riding in it.

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
Good tip. I'll try the Rain-X.

Yes, there are numerous issues to look out for with the Boxsters, namely IMS, AOS, and RMS problems. I was all set to have a PPI on this car, but the extreme lack of maintenance was a deal breaker. For instance, even though it was a low mileage car (47K), the owner hadn't changed the oil since 2011 and while in his ownership (11 years) he never changed the brakes. There were other tell tale signs if you looked beneath the impeccable interior and exterior….
I was looking at an RV the other week. It was a premium brand that was a few years old. The PO hadn't been keeping up with the maintenance, so I passed. Needed tires - $5400, house batteries - $1950, new windshield - $1400, engine and generator servicing - $2400, and had a water leak - $$$$.

I just don't understand some people, spending all that money and not taking care of it.

Chip H.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was looking at an RV the other week. It was a premium brand that was a few years old. The PO hadn't been keeping up with the maintenance, so I passed. Needed tires - $5400, house batteries - $1950, new windshield - $1400, engine and generator servicing - $2400, and had a water leak - $$$$.

I just don't understand some people, spending all that money and not taking care of it.

Chip H.
Agreed. I think it is simply ignorance. I don't think they know things need to be done, so they simply wait until something breaks - and then fix it.

However, in your case above, it sounds like the owner simply didn't care and is now looking to unload his problems onto someone else.

·
Registered
110 Posts

Chip H.
$5,400 for tires?!?

:act018:

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
22.5" diesel pusher RV sized tires are in the $700-$900 range. Plus mounting, tax, etc.

Normally you'd buy 6 tires, but if you have an extra "tag" axle on your coach (usually 40' and longer ones), then you're buying 8 at a time.

If you join FMCA (Family Motor Coach Association) they have a tire-buying program with Michelin that will save you more than the cost of joining.

Chip H.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Getting back to the original subject....my '08 Ridge was much more comfortable than my Buick Enclave. When we go any distance now, we take my wife's MDX.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts