Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been in the market for a Ridgeline for some time now, and I recently came across one that's in my pocket range. It is a 2006 RTL with under 76K miles and a clean title. It's a Taffeta White color, located just 10 miles from me at a dealership. Their asking price is just under 17 BONES!! Thought on these 2006 RTL's... What I'd really like is an SE edition, but that's completely out of my price range. However, I wouldn't mind coughing up another $5-7,000 for a newer and SE model. I am hoping it's okay to attach a link...

http://www.carsoup.com/details/used...ybWFrZWlkPTI1JnJtb2RlbGlkPTUzNQ~~#detail_info

Let me know what you think of it... definitely the colorway I like. I've only been in a handful Ridelines and the older models.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Seems like a great vehicle. Appears like low miles, if you can verify it. I have a 2007 with 105K miles and it still seems like new. Just make sure it's been maintained properly and no accidents--the typical stuff.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Seems like a great vehicle. Appears like low miles, if you can verify it. I have a 2007 with 105K miles and it still seems like new. Just make sure it's been maintained properly and no accidents--the typical stuff. I'll add that I believe Consumer Reports rated the earlier Canada-built version as the most reliable. That sure seems to be true with mine.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Airwreckc, thanks for the comment. I was researching on the Ridgeline's religiously for a while, a while back, but it's been some time. I've seen these newer SE's and it makes me want to jump on one, but the prices to them are just too steep for my pockets. I am going to give it a test run this Saturday. Hopefully everything check's out. Is there anything else you'd recommend me check out while I am test driving the truck?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Looks like a good, clean RL, but I think its a tad overpriced, even for a RTL.
I would like it a lot more if it was $14-15k. But thats just me.

Good luck with your decision....

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Aceshigh73, I agree. The price is a little steep for a truck that's almost 10 years old. I've a number in mind. But I have to remember this is the dealership, and we all know what their number one goal is. I haven't much experience with dealerships... Any suggestions how flexible they will be. I guess it'll vary from truck to truck, but if there's anyone with any experiences buying a used auto from a dealership want to chime in, that'd be great.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Aceshigh73, I agree. The price is a little steep for a truck that's almost 10 years old. I've a number in mind. But I have to remember this is the dealership, and we all know what their number one goal is. I haven't much experience with dealerships... Any suggestions how flexible they will be. I guess it'll vary from truck to truck, but if there's anyone with any experiences buying a used auto from a dealership want to chime in, that'd be great.

All depends on what they "own it" for. If it was traded in to this dealership or not. Looks like it's been on their lot for like 20 days according to cargurus.com
Sometimes the used car managers are pressured into giving more for trades to get the deal on the new car. It also depends on how much traffic the car is getting and how long it's been on their lot. 20 days isn't a lot. Over a month and they start to get a little more flexible. But it's all up to the dealers.
See what the kbb trade in value is for that car with that trim level. Most dealers (in my area) use galves for trade in value but that costs $$. And it's normally lower than kbb trade in value.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
RSylvestre, I agree with you. 17 is a bit for a 10 year old truck I think. What would I be missing out on with an 06' RTL that new models have... Regretting not saving them pages I used to read up on with details on the different years and make and models. Any idea where I could find them?

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
17K...seems that they are really proud of that Ridgeline!
Even if they droped it a bit, they would have to throw in extras like aftermarket warranty at least. 14-15k is the most I would pay for that truck and to me that is high enough.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Why they restrict ppl from posting on this board is beyond me. Some posts go through, some dont...

Anyway, http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...lectedEntity=d734&zip=55429#listing=126690183

Its been on the market for 20 days... Cargurus says its a fair deal and above fair value. I agree... Unless u are desperate, wait... Or if u really like it and are going to keep it, go for it. Keep in mind if u wreck it next week you lose, big time.....

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I went back and did a little more extensive search and there are definitely some good deals out there. I am going to do a little more search and cap myself on a budget. If you guys come across one, keep me posted. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I went back and did a little more extensive search and there are definitely some good deals out there. I am going to do a little more search and cap myself on a budget. If you guys come across one, keep me posted. Thanks!
If everything is true with the 06 you linked to, its a fine example of a low miles RL. Interesting color combo too. More than likely, they took it on trade, spent a few bucks on a mechanical assessment, did a detail job and parked it. IMO: they are asking high and have lots of room to move.

Used vehicle sales are a crap shoot from the dealer perspective. There is ALWAYS fat margin on used inventory @ new car dealers. They didn't auction this trade-in because they knew there was a good chance to make good margin on it.

If you like everything about it but the price, go hammer them. Play hard ball. Use your due diligence/comps to grind em' hard. Ask them for evidence of the $ they negotiated on the trade and what they spent to get it ready for sale. It's a safe bet they paid the very low end of BB.

In a way, it's fun to reverse the game on them. You have nothing to lose if they say no. Take the gloves off!

·
Registered
579 Posts
Did you check the True Car price? I traded a 2006 about 3 years ago for a 2010 with 11K on it. The 06 had 106K on it and had been in a nasty front end collision at about 15K, but all had been repaired and it kept running like a charm. Anyway, I paid about $27K for the 10 and got $10K for my '06. So I think you're right about the over priced part.....though a lot of time has passed since my experience, plus mine had the damage. I DID get them to throw in 2 extra years of full coverage under the certified program. I doubt that is possible since the '06 is pretty far out of warranty now. Anyway, my 06 was awesome, so if you get it...I hope you love it!!

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,048 Posts
$17k is too much for that truck no matter how good of shape it's in. As was said, the dealership is going to play the "they don't make these anymore, so it's rare" card. For comparison, I paid $16k to a private party for my '07 RTL back in March of 2010. Yes, I pretty much stole the thing at that time as it booked for $23,500, but there are better deals to be had out there. If it's a truck you're supremely interested in, I would set a strict budget of $15k out the door (including taxes and fees) and go see what you can do.

I guess the bigger questions are - what are you going to use this truck for? Are you trading something in or is this just a supplemental vehicle to have? What are the features that are "must have's", "wants" and "don't wants"? Could you live with a lower trim (RT, Sport, RTS) if it meant getting a newer truck? Do your research and find everything within range of you. If you're in no hurry to buy something, you don't need to pull the trigger on the first truck you see.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The price is definitely too steep. I am definitely going to keep looking unless the dealer lowers the price down a couple big bills. And that's if there's other perks with the purchase.

I recall a page someone created on the forums a while back where they had listed the talked about the different models and details that each years and model came with. Does any one know where I can find that? Or an idea where I can find more information. Thanks!

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,048 Posts
The price is definitely too steep. I am definitely going to keep looking unless the dealer lowers the price down a couple big bills. And that's if there's other perks with the purchase.

I recall a page someone created on the forums a while back where they had listed the talked about the different models and details that each years and model came with. Does any one know where I can find that? Or an idea where I can find more information. Thanks!
I can sum it up for you...

2006:

RT: base model with steel wheels, black door handles and mirrors, 6-speaker audio system with single CD player (no subwoofer) and manual climate control.

RTS: 17' alloy wheels, body-colored door handles and mirrors, 6-disc CD changer with 7-speakers (including subwoofer), steering wheel audio controls, dual climate controls, power drivers seat, tinted glass, security system

RTL no nav: All RTS features including leather seats, heated drivers and passengers seats, most have moonroof, but a few came without it.

RTL w/nav: navigation system with 7" screen, auxiliary audio input

2007: Same except for moonroof was now standard on all RTL models. RTX model came about which was basically an RT with grey wheels and had a towing package standard (pre-wired, hitch, etc.)

2008: Interior fabric was changed to monotone and RTS/RTL got machined wheels instead of the painted silver.

2009: Exterior changes including new front fascia and grill, different headlight and taillight design, standard tow hitch on all models and 18" wheels standard on RTL models. Minor interior updates including new dials and buttons and cruise control on/off now on steering wheel. Standard bluetooth and backup camera on RTL w/ nav models. Engine updates including tuning and the addition of an MAF sensor, upgraded transmission tuning and other small under-hood changes. Production of the RL also moved from Alliston, Ontario, Canada to the Alabama plant in the early part of this production year. If you are able to find a 2009 RL that was built in Canada, it's sort of the like the "holy grail" of RL's because the build-quality of the Canadian plant was deemed far superior to Alabama.

2010: Exterior color changes.

2011: Factory fill of the transmission changed from the semi-synthetic Z-1 fluid to the full synthetic DW-1 fluid.

2012: Exterior color changes. New "Sport" model introduced. Basically an RT with a blacked-out grill, 18" black-accented wheels and a few other black trim pieces.

2013: Backup camera became standard on all models. Screen is in the rearview mirror for RT, Sport, RTS and RTL w/out nav. Obviously, nav screen is used in upper-end RTL w/ nav models. Factory fill of oil switched from 5w-20 to 0w-20.

2014: Exterior color changes and the addition of the SE model. Top of the line with every goody ever offered for the RL. It has unique wheels, trim and badging. It's basically combining an RTL w/nav and a Sport. Sort of a "swan song" model for the 1st gen RL.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Is there anyone on here that could get me a carfax. PM if you could. I'd hate to pay that $40. Seller sounds very genuine, but doesn't have a carfax on his Ridge. :C

1 - 18 of 18 Posts