Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been experimenting with the “ECON” button on and off since I bought my 2017 RTL-E. It seems to add about 1mpg overall.

However, I decided to leave it on permanently because it dampens throttle sensitivity and prevents jackrabbit starts, which is nice.

I’ve since noticed throttle pulsing when going up mild inclines. Even though I hold the accelerator pedal rock steady, a slight engine load will cause the engine to pulse. It’s easily felt and the tachometer confirms it.

Anyone else experiencing similar ?

·
Registered
2019 Honda Ridgeline Black Edition
232 Posts
Glad I now know I am not crazy. I kept asking different passengers if they felt the slight consistent pulsation in power when traveling uphill in certain cases. Mine only does it at very specific RPM's but yes I have noticed it. ECON button gets on my nerves, I'll take the slight drop in MPG (if any) for a better driving experience. I usually compensate for the throttle dulling anyhow by sinking my foot deeper.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Glad I now know I am not crazy. I kept asking different passengers if they felt the slight consistent pulsation in power when traveling uphill in certain cases. Mine only does it at very specific RPM's but yes I have noticed it. ECON button gets on my nerves, I'll take the slight drop in MPG (if any) for a better driving experience. I usually compensate for the throttle dulling anyhow by sinking my foot deeper.
I’m gonna make an appointment with dealer service and let you know what I find out

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Does the tach bounce? Could be transmission reprogramming needed. There is a thread about this. If it doesn't that could be vcm and torque converter lock/unlock. It seems like the RL is prone to vibrations under very light load. Lately, it sometimes occurs (vibration is gas pedal) when I ease back into the throttle after coasting on flat roads.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Does the tach bounce? Could be transmission reprogramming needed. There is a thread about this. If it doesn't that could be vcm and torque converter lock/unlock. It seems like the RL is prone to vibrations under very light load. Lately, it sometimes occurs (vibration is gas pedal) when I ease back into the throttle after coasting on flat roads.
Yes, the tach does bounce. I guess it could be the transmission programming, but I have not noticed any vibration in the gas pedal. Dealer will figure it out, I hope.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Depending on the year, there is a TSB update for this they should be able to fix.
There is indeed a TSB on this problem. Today, I took my truck into the dealer and described the issue.
At first, they said that since my regular warranty ran out 2 months ago, a $150 deductible may apply on the extended warranty - which does NOT cover software upgrades.

But, I just got a call from the dealer Service. They said the Honda TSB recommends a transmission software upgrade, and flushing the transmission fluid 3 times. Since it’s a transmission issue, it’s covered in full, but the deductible may still apply.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
There is indeed a TSB on this problem. Today, I took my truck into the dealer and described the issue.
At first, they said that since my regular warranty ran out 2 months ago, a $150 deductible may apply on the extended warranty - which does NOT cover software upgrades.

But, I just got a call from the dealer Service. They said the Honda TSB recommends a transmission software upgrade, and flushing the transmission fluid 3 times. Since it’s a transmission issue, it’s covered in full, but the deductible may still apply.
Good news, hope it works. I believe some just change the fluid more frequently to stay ahead of this issue. I take it your extended warranty isn't Hondacare?

Here is a thread on the issue.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good news, hope it works. I believe some just change the fluid more frequently to stay ahead of this issue. I take it your extended warranty isn't Hondacare?

Here is a thread on the issue.

Thanks for the TSB ! There was no charge at all for the repair. They flushed the transmission 3x, but said there was no software update available, which contradicts what they said earlier that day, and what the TSB instructs. We’ll see how the fix holds out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts