Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the first thing I am thinking about doing is adding a new muffler. I really like the sound of a welded muffler. I am looking at the thrush welded muffler or the Flowmaster super 44. Has anyone ran these?

Thrush Welded -$30.00
Thrush® Welded Muffler - Center / Offset - Thrush® Exhaust P/N: 17651 - Thrush® Exhaust, Making Hot Rods Hotter Since 1966?

Flowmaster - $85
942445-Super 44 Muffler ? 2.25 Center In / 2.25 Center Out ? Aggressive Sound

I had the super 44 on my old 4.6l Ford v8 and it was a bit of a drone crusing. I had the thrush on a 4.0l dodge nitro, and it wasn't too bad. I want a nice aggressive sound. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,766 Posts

My vote. Or atleast the muffler. There are a ton of ridgeline videos on youtube. Just search through and see what sound you would prefer.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0eaDKWsNWs

My vote. Or atleast the muffler. There are a ton of ridgeline videos on youtube. Just search through and see what sound you would prefer.
Yes sir there are a lot of videos on youtube. I found one with the Thrush and one with a Deltaflow 40. The muffler in the video is the DBX. There are lots of videos with the Magnaflow and etc from what I have searched.

I know I want to remove the resonator and add the muffler. I will crawl under the truck tonight and take a look.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Yea I have the dbx but with a short side exit 2.5 piping. I would do 2.25 if I redid it. I would just add the muffler and leave the resonator and if you dont like the sound then delete the resonator.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea I have the dbx but with a short side exit 2.5 piping. I would do 2.25 if I redid it. I would just add the muffler and leave the resonator and if you dont like the sound then delete the resonator.
That's what I was thinking. I didn't want to take too much off and have to add back. Its easier to take more after than add it back lol. So now here is a silly question...mind I am totally ignorant to the exhaust on the Ridgeline since I just got it, and I haven't looked lol...

Where is the resonator vs the muffler. From what I have looked at it looks like the resonator is at the very end near the tail pipe and the muffler is under the cab... or am I backwards?

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
You are backwards. Resonator is center and muffler is the rear. Resonator will always "smoothen" the sound then the muffler will quiet it. At least thats how I see it.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,262 Posts
Hope this Helps...

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So the videos of the muffler and resonator delete...they put the muffler at the location of the resonator?

So if I add a muffler I can just cut the rear off and add it there with a tip of some kind.

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
4,113 Posts
You are backwards. Resonator is center and muffler is the rear. Resonator will always "smoothen" the sound then the muffler will quiet it. At least thats how I see it.
You are correct. Resonators are units that cancel out unbalanced frequencies that come out of the engine and smooth out the pulses for an even frequency gas flow. They are NOT meant to quieten the sound. Mufflers, that muffle the sound, are designed to cancel out frequencies by creating exact negative frequencies and thus reducing the 'noise'. They lower the decibel output from the engine and making it comfortable to everyone.

You can have just a muffler with a quieter exhaust, but a rough running engine.
You can have just a resonator with a smoother running engine, but loud as hell.

There are some mullfers, that have baffles built in to mimic the resonator and drop some decibels, but cannot comfortably operate. Usually found in custom exhaust configurations where free flowing exhaust is preferred with sacrifice to noise and vibration.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I ended up going with the Thrush Turbo. I didn't want to get any drone in the cab and to be honest the vortec v6 sounds pretty throaty when you step on it. I am going to try the muffler first.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
So the videos of the muffler and resonator delete...they put the muffler at the location of the resonator?

So if I add a muffler I can just cut the rear off and add it there with a tip of some kind.
Yes and yes. Having the exhaust exit in the same spot as factory(rear) will decrease any droning etc. My first exhaust I had was the stock exhaust and I just put a different muffler on. I cant remember if I used the DBX or not. Then I added a rear skid plate and needed to delete the back half so I had it side exit. I wish I could put a little resonator just to smoothen out the drone/sound a little bit but not much room.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I ended up going with the Thrush Turbo. I didn't want to get any drone in the cab and to be honest the vortec v6 sounds pretty throaty when you step on it. I am going to try the muffler first.
VORTEC!!!! How dare you!!!!!

But let us know how the thrush sounds.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts