Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Fellas,
I have wanted to put a basket of some type on the top of my truck for sometime. I have had several other Thule products on past vehicles and think the Thule MOAB basket would be the ticket. I have done a little research and know that it comes with a kit that will mount to the factory racks I have on there. But I was thinking about taking the cross bars off and using a series of u bolts to connect the basket to the side tracks on the rack. I also was thinking about putting some latter like racks in the bed that I can put a bike rack on and use it to transports canoes, wood, etc. Please post your ideas on that. Also, if you have a basket on your truck or latter like racks, it would be awesome to see how it looks. So please post some pictures! Thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
Why not put a bed rack on it to carry your boats, wood, etc and use the bed of the truck for your gear (assuming that's what the basket will be for)?

Just curious what you're trying to accomplish / carry.

For me, as an outdoor guide, I want to maximize cargo space and minimize drag when driving. If I put a bunch of gear bags on the top of the truck, it decreases my MPG a LOT. Having a couple kayaks decreases it too but not as bad. Plus, when you get to your destination, it's easier to access the gear from the bed of the truck than from a rack. The boats are nice and tidy up top and out of the way.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I have a Yakima basket. it's mounted on Yakima bars. I don't know why you'd want to mount it with u bolts. I can take mine off and on easily (and I do). It does affect mileage, even when not loaded. if I am going on a road trip sans kayaks I just take it off. around town it doesn't matter that much, I get 12.5 with or without it (I live in a very hilly area).

I use it with the extension (makes it longer) to carry both river (6-8 feet long) and sea kayaks (17 to 18 feet long). The basket gives me extra crossbar spread for stability for the long kayaks, and its just easier to throw WW boats in the basket than to get em on a J rack or stacker. it was way cheaper than a bed rack, comes off/goes on in a snap. when loaded my long boats are centered on the truck, front of the boat at the front of the truck etc. they don't hang over the back.

I use a Yakima hitch mount rack for bikes, the tray type.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts