Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used Thule roof racks on the new Ridgeline? I have a 16' kayak that I transport sometimes but the usual bed racks like Trac Rac are not available.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Look at CABELA`S. I purchased a pivoting t-brackt that installs into your trailer hitch. I transport my 17 foot canoe with it. Hold the stern up even with the roof rack. The only thing I had to do was put two straps one on one each side. To keep boat from wig-waging in slip stream. Other then that easy to use. One down side is that it's I think one boat.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
I have only used Thule since I purchased my new 08 RTL. My rack is currently all Thule and I carry my bikes on it and switch out to 2 Thule Hullavators to carry our 2 17' sea kayaks. If you haven't used one of their Hullavoators, you need to try it for the bigger kayaks.

·
Registered
71 Posts
The trouble with only having a cab mounted rack is that there is just too much overhang for the wind to catch. On my 1st Gen, I used a good rack on the bed and the OEM rack on the cab. That gave me support out near the ends of the boats and eliminated having to run a line over the paintwork on the hood. I'm looking for a contractor/ladder/over cab rack for my new 2nd Gen. With regard to the Hullavators, I'm tall enough (and too cheap) to not need them to load the boats. A T-bracket just isn't secure enough for me with two big cedar strip boats (and I'd hate to lose them after all the work I put into them).

·
Registered
998 Posts
Phil W, Don't blame you. Those boats must be beautiful. Pics?
On stability of T-brackt. I ran two straps down to rear/upper tiedowns. Took canoe to Maine with son's Boy Scout troop. About a total of 250 miles. Not a wiggle at all. Ran into some pretty high cross winds, no problem.
Down side it's only good for one boat.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
The trouble with only having a cab mounted rack is that there is just too much overhang for the wind to catch. On my 1st Gen, I used a good rack on the bed and the OEM rack on the cab. That gave me support out near the ends of the boats and eliminated having to run a line over the paintwork on the hood. I'm looking for a contractor/ladder/over cab rack for my new 2nd Gen. With regard to the Hullavators, I'm tall enough (and too cheap) to not need them to load the boats. A T-bracket just isn't secure enough for me with two big cedar strip boats (and I'd hate to lose them after all the work I put into them).
Well, you and I differ. I would not hang my sea kayaks over the end of my Ridge. I even haul my bikes on the rack on top. I'll take my chances with the wind, it has never been a problem in WA, OR, ID or in Canada where we kayak.

I have been hit too many times from the rear. Twice with this Ridge and before cell phones, even more times with previous vehicles. I have a Thule 4 bike rack for the hitch on the rear and I don't use it. I don't want my kayaks or bicycles smunched. For me, on top is the safest way to carry either.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Feetdry. I agree, I would never hang my boats out the back. I was referring to the vertical T-bracket that supports at the same height as the OEM roof rack.

For ROBSTRL. Off-topic but you asked; here are some of my boats.

Attachments

·
Registered
998 Posts
Phil, Those wooden boats are beautiful! I have an affinity for natural finish wood! Glad to see you have a canoe also. Mine is a 17 foot aluminum Grumman that was built in the late 40s that I inherited from my dad. This is a canoe that my dad and I used in a 50 mile canoe hike when I was a Boy Scout. And also when my son and I went on a 50 mile canoe hike. Two generations! Lots of sentimental feelings and memories.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Has anyone used Thule roof racks on the new Ridgeline? I have a 16' kayak that I transport sometimes but the usual bed racks like Trac Rac are not available.

No, but I'm interested in finding a Yakima rack system, so spend too much time looking for ways (besides Honda's) to mount cross bars to one or more of the hard points the Ridgeline has so well located. I have a 16footer and a couple be racks that would make a nice fit, if I could get crossbars. Their own system doesn't interest me, and our 2005 CR-V solution from Yakima was so well done. All I need is Yakima to craft a bracket for the Honda hard points, but no such luck. Not enough G2s on the road, I guess.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts