Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tighten Fuel Cap Warning Light Stays On

I a RTL with just over 900 miles, after starting it a second time today, the TIGHTEN FUEL CAP warning light came on, now this after driving the truck for a half a tank of fuel. So I tighten the cap and still the warning comes on, also I'm aware that you have the screw the cap until it clicks a couple of times every time you fill up, I have had this issue with a 99 Durango. Does anyone have any experience with this problem

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Re: Tighten Fuel Cap Warning Light Stays On

I have never had the gas cap warning on my Ridgeline, but there are several posts about it, you could try a search for these other posts for more answers than I can give you. But if I recall correctly, some people went to the dealer to have it reset, but others just tightened the cap and the light will eventually go out. It may take a few days to go off. Unless you have a bad gas cap.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts

I ran into this problem recently on a trip to North Carolina. I had stopped on the New Jersey turnpike to fill up. In NJ you can’t pump your own gas. The guy didn’t tighten the cap properly. When I stopped and restarted the warning came on. I tightened the cap and it took several starts and stops for the computer to clear the code. If yours won’t clear I would suspect a faulty cap.

Hope this helps.:)

·
Registered
416 Posts

I ran into this problem recently on a trip to North Carolina. I had stopped on the New Jersey turnpike to fill up. In NJ you can’t pump your own gas. The guy didn’t tighten the cap properly. When I stopped and restarted the warning came on. I tightened the cap and it took several starts and stops for the computer to clear the code. If yours won’t clear I would suspect a faulty cap.

Hope this helps.:)
I came accross this problem the moment I start the engine today. I hope it goes away soon. Damn you Honda!

·
Registered
202 Posts

Hello This Happened To Me This Morning . This Is What I Did . I Got Out Of My Truck Took The Cap Off Then Put Back On Until A Few Clicks Shut The Gas Door Got Back In My Truck And The Light Was Still On So I Shut Off My Truck Waited A Minute Then Started It Again The Light Came On Then I Pushed The Select Button Until The Mileage Came Up And It Has Not Come Back. I Don't Know If What I Did Worked Or Not But Is Worth A Shot . Good Luck Sully

·
Registered
9 Posts

This happened to me too, I've been driving like this for a week, I hope its something stupid.

Maybe we've all been randomly selected to win FREE GAS!

WooHoo!:D

·
Registered
1,648 Posts

If it bugs you a lot, you can get the dealer to reset the warning light.

Now, for those of you who have the Scangauge II, can you use it to reset the fuel cap warning light? Did I ask this question before? .........still recovering from 420.

·
Registered
9 Posts

I did it, I deleted the warning light. I pressed the RESET button (on the Right side of the instrument cluster). I pressed firmly for about a second, my odometer readings showed up after.

·
Registered
223 Posts

Like everything else, this is computer controlled. The computer has to go through a few cycles before the warning will clear (as I was told by the dealer when it happened with mine). It does go off eventually.

Good luck.:D

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Hey Rickdlong is right about this, I started up the truck yesterday and the warning was gone, it took almost a week to clear it's self. What I do not understand why it went on in the first place, I always tighten my cap with at least two clicks, maybe you have to do 4 or 5 clicks. But anyways it gone for now. Thanks to all.

·
Registered
37 Posts

I just had my truck in the dealer for this exact issue.

About 100 miles and a couple of days into a fuel tank, the Check Fuel Cap message came on. I always tighten my cap a few clicks, but it was on when I started the truck. I got out and checked it (It was tight) and got back in and pressed the reset button on the dash and it was gone.....until I got about 5 miles down the road. This went on for three days. I made an appoinment for it and sure enough, the morning I take it in to the dealer, the message light was gone. The checked it out reset the internal computer and told me I had to make sure the cap was tight (which I always do). They also said it takes several startups and shutdowns for the computer check and reset. "Even if the cap was tightened, it may take a day or two to clear"

·
Registered
9 Posts

I thought I fixed it by pressing the RESET button...but its back on, I'm reseting daily... This warning has been going for about 3 weeks.

Time to call the dealer.

·
Registered
408 Posts

I got this message right after a trip to the dealer to fix some cracked interior trim. I always tighten the cap and am the only one who fills it. It goes away with a RESET push, but comes back each time you start the engine.

After 4 days and 3 tanks of gas (road trip) it was still there. Took the RL in for an oil change and had them reset the message while it was there.

Does anyone know where the cap sensor is? Is it user serviceable (ie, does it get dirty and need to be cleaned?)???

·
Registered
411 Posts

You can keep resetting this thing until the cows come home. After having the dealer reset it three times he finally replaced, on the recommendation of Honda, the CANISTER VENT SHUT VALVE (reportedly near the fuel tank) and, voilla!, problem solved. Was done under warranty, so it just costs you a little time. Don't fool with it any longer. Take it in and get it fixed!:D

·
Registered
740 Posts

I got this message right after a trip to the dealer to fix some cracked interior trim. I always tighten the cap and am the only one who fills it. It goes away with a RESET push, but comes back each time you start the engine.

After 4 days and 3 tanks of gas (road trip) it was still there. Took the RL in for an oil change and had them reset the message while it was there.

Does anyone know where the cap sensor is? Is it user serviceable (ie, does it get dirty and need to be cleaned?)???
There is no sensor for the fuel cap. The evaporative emissions system runs a self test every now and then to make sure fuel vapor is not being leaked out into the atmosphere. Fuel vapor - the gas smell you know so well - is actually unburned hydrocarbons, an unwanted and restricted emission gas. The evap system consists of various valves and solenoids as well as a vapor canister, the fuel tank pressure sensor and the fuel tank. The idea is that the fumes from the gas are introduced into the intake manifold to be burned, rather than going free into the atmosphere. The vehicle will run it's tests when certain enable criteria have been met. It opens and closes the valves and solenoids and monitors fuel tank pressure sensor voltage. By monitoring the pressure changes, it tell if the evap system is leaking... or letting fumes out when they should be sealed in. It uses the rate of leakage - expressed to the ecm/pcm as a voltage change over time, to determine the size of the leak. The ecm/pcm then uses logic to determine what to do - set a DTC and a "check engine" light.... or simply warn the driver that the fuel cap might be loose. When you re-tighten the cap... the message will stay on. It will remain on until the evap system undergoes another self check. This could take a few starts, or it could take a week. It depends on how the vehicle is driven. If all you have is a check fuel cap message, tighten the cap and wait for it to go away. It will go away when the system runs its next self check. If, when the system self checks, it finds there is STILL a leak... instead of resetting the Check fuel cap message... it will store a DTC and the MIL will illuminate. (MIL = malfunction indicator lamp) Then it is time to head to your local friendly Honda dealer and get it checked out.

HT

·
Registered
146 Posts

The Check Fuel Cap warning came on last week. Removed the cap and re-tightened it. The warning message cleared itself today after approx 7 days.

·
Registered
132 Posts

I just went through it as well. It cleared after 6 days. I am going to mention it to the dealer anyway.

·
Registered
4,764 Posts

My experience is it usually happens to a RL owner when there are drastic temperature fluctuations. Most experience this during the winter months as the temp. can drop greatly during the day/evening, hence changing the pressure of any gases in the system.

As the days get hotter, and you find yourself filling up the tank with very "cold" gasoline" there is a tendency for the same thing to happen.

·
Registered
707 Posts

There is no sensor for the fuel cap. The evaporative emissions system runs a self test every now and then to make sure fuel vapor is not being leaked out into the atmosphere. Fuel vapor - the gas smell you know so well - is actually unburned hydrocarbons, an unwanted and restricted emission gas. The evap system consists of various valves and solenoids as well as a vapor canister, the fuel tank pressure sensor and the fuel tank. The idea is that the fumes from the gas are introduced into the intake manifold to be burned, rather than going free into the atmosphere. The vehicle will run it's tests when certain enable criteria have been met. It opens and closes the valves and solenoids and monitors fuel tank pressure sensor voltage. By monitoring the pressure changes, it tell if the evap system is leaking... or letting fumes out when they should be sealed in. It uses the rate of leakage - expressed to the ecm/pcm as a voltage change over time, to determine the size of the leak. The ecm/pcm then uses logic to determine what to do - set a DTC and a "check engine" light.... or simply warn the driver that the fuel cap might be loose. When you re-tighten the cap... the message will stay on. It will remain on until the evap system undergoes another self check. This could take a few starts, or it could take a week. It depends on how the vehicle is driven. If all you have is a check fuel cap message, tighten the cap and wait for it to go away. It will go away when the system runs its next self check. If, when the system self checks, it finds there is STILL a leak... instead of resetting the Check fuel cap message... it will store a DTC and the MIL will illuminate. (MIL = malfunction indicator lamp) Then it is time to head to your local friendly Honda dealer and get it checked out.

HT
Thank you for that explanation!:D Makes sense to me! I'll give mine time to "heal" itself!
Nice to have someone like you around to keep us all a little more "grounded"!;)

·
Registered
2 Posts

I a RTL with just over 900 miles, after starting it a second time today, the TIGHTEN FUEL CAP warning light came on, now this after driving the truck for a half a tank of fuel. So I tighten the cap and still the warning comes on, also I'm aware that you have the screw the cap until it clicks a couple of times every time you fill up, I have had this issue with a 99 Durango. Does anyone have any experience with this problem
Same thing happened with me. Dealer says that it takes 30 starts to clear the warning message. No explanation why, but your vehicle is fine. It hasn't happened since for me (about 1500 miles later).

1 - 20 of 118 Posts