Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
167 Posts
I really don't think this problem has anything to do with the GPS satellite resetitng it's week counter every 20 years. I suspect that the August date for a fix is a rough guess based on estimates of how long it will take to diagnose the bug, come up with a solution, test it, document it, and distribute it to dealers.

· Registered
167 Posts
In the moderator statement note the phrase "... they expect this issue to be resolved in August 2022." As an ex software engineer that statement says to me that they looked at the code and found where the programmer coded in instructions to reset the 10-bit field to zero in August of this year. I do not believe anyone at Honda will be burning any calories to retroactively fix the code because they know it will get reset at no additional cost. And since the new vehicles seem to be OK, the problem will not impact sales.

And by the way, this 10-bit field would be in the firmware so that lack of power or a system rest would not change it.
You are assuming the bug has something to do with the GPS 10 bit date field but I haven't seen any evidence of that. There are a lot of posts here so maybe I missed it.

· Registered
167 Posts
See post #50 by zroger73. This is not evidence, but a strong clue.
It was a clue, but it didn't hold up under further investigation. The GPS week counter rolled over in 1999 and 2019 but the Honda clock problem occurred when the year changed from 2021 to 2022. It's not impossible that the two are related, but it's unlikely.

If it's true that the problem will fix itself in August 2022 then Honda probably knows exactly what went wrong. Whether or not they fix it before then, time will tell (rimshot sound effect goes here). It may not be worth the effort.

Personally I think most people who are very annoyed by the problem now will get used to it in a week or two, and they'll have something to look forward to in August.

· Registered
167 Posts
So the problem is in GPS receiver made by Furuno.

Good job by the person who came up with a fix using a PIC microcontroller. Too bad there isn't an easier solution, though. Maybe someone will set up a service where you send them your NAV unit and they install the fix for a fee.

· Registered
167 Posts
Technically the problem is with the GPS receiver module made by Furuno. It is giving the navigation unit invalid date information. So maybe Furuno should be blamed?

On the other hand, the navigation unit does have a microcontroller with flash memory. In theory, with enough effort, it probably would be possible to update the microcontroller's software with a work around for the bad date info received from the GPS receiver. But some have said here that the navigation unit was developed by a sub contractor, not Honda. So maybe it's the subcontractor's fault?

I'm not sure if this situation is really different from when the radio failed in my Ranger after 20 years. The truck was still functional and safe, it just didn't have a working radio. I could fix the problem by installing a new radio.

At least people with 2006 to 2014 Ridgelines have the option of fixing the problem by replacing the head unit with a new one with built in navigation. It will be expensive, sure, but it can be done. Owners of 2nd Generation Ridgelines (except the ones like my 2019 RTL with the color radio) won't be so lucky if there is a similar problem because the head unit is much more highly integrated into their vehicles than it probably should be.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts