Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

81 - 100 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Apple only has to create operating systems and applications that operate on hardware they designed. Microsoft, by contrast, is burdened with ensuring compatibility with a virtually infinite number of hardware combinations from multiple manufacturers. And, hardware vendors like Dell, Lenovo, Asus, etc. don't make operating systems.
Apple did not create the OS - it is BSD Unix - they created the interface IOS. It is UNIX underneath.

Microsoft does not provide compatibility for any vendor except for Microsoft Hardware (Surface) - it is up to the hardware makers to provide drivers that fit into Windows.

Just like it is the Hardware vendors that provide drivers for Linux.

Apple has been slow to move to newer hardware as BSD Unix is not a flavor that Hardware vendors write drivers for - Apple probably has to convert Windows drivers to work with BSD Unix. I had to make Micro Channel hardware work with AT&T Unix - not always bug free. Ironically Microsoft had to do the same for SCO Unix and we shared drivers. (Microsoft owns SCO and majority owner of SUSE Linux). I am retired now and prefer OpenSUSE with MATE interface as it looks like Windows XP and not like Windows 10.

I still cannot believe that most computer users are not on Linux - it is more stable and has bug corrections almost daily. Only Kernel bug fixes require reboots. Many Kernel updates are to support new CPU hardware.

Almost evey flavor of Linux can be booted from CD or Flash Drive to be tested driven. There are many interfaces - gnome, kde, cinnamon, xfce, mate and some that try to look like IOS with the green yellow and red dot interface.
xfce is like windows 98, kde is like windows 10, cinnamon like vista.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
We use FreeBSD at work. I'm a system admin for a company that does financial applications. It's really secure as long as you stay current of course. Just like a lot of things.

Steve

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Don't forget that Android is based on Linux.

MS-DOS, or QDOS (quick & dirty operating system) was written in a big hurry in a short amount of time by Gates and Wozniack(?). It's amazing it wasn't buggier than it was.... then Windows was just a GUI on top of that rough code. I'm sure that the latest Windows GUI is a whole different animal, but I'd bet the roots of the architecture are similar. This coming from a Windows user (and i knew a LOT of DOS commands back in the day). I mostly stick to Windows for desktop because i like to do hardware upgrades from time to time. I can typically get a good ten years out of a PC before the mobo becomes obsolete. I do still have a couple 98SE machines that run, complete with PS/2 mouse and keyboard with KVM switch.

It's good that there are different OS out there, just as it is good that there are different trucks. Competition improves the breed, and the consumers benefit.

·
Registered
404 Posts
It's good that there are different OS out there, just as it is good that there are different trucks. Competition improves the breed, and the consumers benefit.
The last few posts were WAY over my computer pay grade although I do have a KVM switch which I have used when switching over machines and only one monitor. ...but I didn't come up with the KVM idea on my own. A friend of mine mentioned it might work for what I needed to do. That was 11-12 years ago. It has sat idly in the cabinet since

Your statement I quoted is exactly right! It's the reason I've had as many as 4 stripes of vehicles at the same time over my life. (maybe 5 when my son was here long ago) Many of them kept for long periods of time and miles. Blind brand loyalty doesn't always, or even maybe usually, build a better vehicle.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Before MS-DOS - there was CPM. CPM only ran on Intel 8080 (8 bit) and compatibles (Z80).

Intel came out with the 8086 (16 bit) and it did not run CPM. Seattle Computer Company wrote QDOS to provide a CPM like OS for their 8086 computer. Microsoft bought the rights to QDOS and finished it (added floppy drive standard and later a hard drive standard - both still used today) after IBM was turned down by Digital Research (maker of CPM) to convert CPM to 16 bit. Microsoft was the leader of CPM software before the IBM PC came out. Microsoft Basic was in most PC's that were 8080 based (TRS 80). After the IBM PC took off there was CPM86 - but it was too late - PCDOS (IBM's MSDOS) had too much market share.

Windows NT came out at 3.1 because it was NCR's Lan Manager given to Microsoft because NCR could not sell it (less than 50 customers and 3 generations of updates to make it Windows 95 compatible) Microsoft just put a gui around it added NTFS (the DEC VAX file system to provide file access control) and called it Windows NT - Lan Manager is the basis for XP and all newer Windows OSes. NCR had lots of great software in the 1980's but lousy marketing. Cooperation was given to Microsoft - it was changed into object embedding and linking parts of Windows 98. I still have an original Cooperation CD - you had to have 4MB of ram in Windows to use it. Most PC's at that time have 512K - not enough to use it. Microsoft killed some features and made it work in 512K if you app added the support. Office 95 had it built in.

·
Premium Member
863 Posts
I was first exposed to the computer when an undergrad in the early 1970s and had to complete a one-credit hour computer class for my BS. We were using a mainframe that took up an entire basement floor in Slagle Auditorium at the University of South Dakota. Then eleven years later about 1985, I was first introduced to PCs when one was installed at the Rapid City Main Fire Station where I was assigned. Then Apples and PCs in the late 1980s when in grad school the second time around at Indiana University.

We had a Mac SE at home in campus family housing and used PC desktops in both the university computer library and in the workplace. At the time I greatly preferred the Apple because of the user-friendliness. The PC was still DOS machines. When Microsoft stole the "look & feel" of the Apple operating system then the PCs became user-friendly for me.

My home computer has remained an Apple product even while all of my former workplace (I'm retired) remain PC except one program that is Unix (which also sucks). That first Mac SE did three doctoral dissertations, none mine, I think it had 16 MB storage and 4MB ram. I type this on a 10-year-old iMac but I'm looking at MacBook Pros for when Apple discontinues support of my current machine which may have already happened.

I suspect none of my comments adds to this discussion.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Ironically, Apple stole the look and feel of the Xerox Parc experiment to make the Lisa and the Macintosh. Apple is a great company to see an idea and improve it enough to make a commercial product out of it. Xerox eventually made the Parc machine into a commercial product - the Xerox Star - but management refused to open it and it died. Corvus had the Corvus Concept the first GUI pc - which the Apple Lisa was stolen from - both Motorola based 68000 PC's with BDS Unix. Microsoft was also good at improving devices - the Microsoft Mouse paved the way for PC GUI's.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Our first computer ran on 3.1 in 1994. 340MB total hard drive space with a 2400 baud dial up modem for internet hook up. Joined my 1st car forum that year. The SHO forum. My twin brother had a computer a year or two before and learned on his own how to write simple programs in DOS...or the black hole as I call it. I never ventured into the black hole much. I let windows be the mask for it. Much simpler.

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Heh....i think my brother still has an old TRS-80 from when he worked at Radio Shack back in the 80s. I remember working on 8086 computers, and worked on 286 and 386 machines in grad school. Crunched numbers in SAS on the 386 machine that ran Win3.1, IIRC, but I had to drop to DOS and run SAS in DOS-mode because the PC did not have enough memory to run it in Windows. RAM was measured in kb and mb back then...

·
Super Moderator
22,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
But do you remember the old IBM 360 along with card readers, punchers, and sorters? I think the abacus may have preceded the 360! ;)

·
Super Moderator
22,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
I still cannot believe that most computer users are not on Linux - it is more stable and has bug corrections almost daily. Only Kernel bug fixes require reboots. Many Kernel updates are to support new CPU hardware.

Almost evey flavor of Linux can be booted from CD or Flash Drive to be tested driven. There are many interfaces - gnome, kde, cinnamon, xfce, mate and some that try to look like IOS with the green yellow and red dot interface.
xfce is like windows 98, kde is like windows 10, cinnamon like vista.
Several years ago I created a bunch of bootable Linux distros to try on my old laptop. Booted from them and tried the various flavors. After fiddling a while with them I tried to go back to Windows and my Windows installation was borked. Had to roll back!

·
Super Moderator
12,105 Posts
Heh....i think my brother still has an old TRS-80 from when he worked at Radio Shack back in the 80s. I remember working on 8086 computers, and worked on 286 and 386 machines in grad school. Crunched numbers in SAS on the 386 machine that ran Win3.1, IIRC, but I had to drop to DOS and run SAS in DOS-mode because the PC did not have enough memory to run it in Windows. RAM was measured in kb and mb back then...
My first computer was a Tandy Color Computer 2 using a 12" B&W Zenith television as the monitor. My mom saved up money she made as a seamstress to have the Extended Color Basic ROM installed.

A few years later, I sold the used 1986 Honda Elite CH150D scooter my father had bought me and took the money down to Radio Shack and bought a new Tandy Color Computer 3, RGB color monitor, disk drive, printer, and modem. I never found much use for the disk drive, printer, or modem.

My first PC-compatible computer was a Tandy 1000 HX somewhere around 1990-1991. It ran MS-DOS and DeskMate from floppies. I believe this was my first computer that I "went online" with using a DeskMate app called PC-Link (later known as America Online).

My first computer with a hard drive was a Tandy 2500 SX/33. I added all sorts of upgrades including more RAM, a larger HD, a sound card, and a CD-ROM drive. It ran DeskMate and Windows.

The first computer I ever built had a 486 processor. I vaguely remember it being an AMD 486 because I couldn't afford an Intel. I used to fall asleep to the sound of the tape drive whirring back and forth in the background for hours while it performed a full backup of the hard drive each night.

·
Super Moderator
12,105 Posts
Has anyone ever duplicated Apple's Force Touch technology?

Their trackpads have a textured, glass surface with force sensors and haptic feedback that offers a number of advantages:

1. The surface is hard and resists wear.
2. "Clicks" are registered using pressure sensors - not physical switches or capacitance sensors. Physical switches can wear out or debris can interfere with a click. Capacitance sensors can register false clicks.
3. The haptic feedback is tuned precisely to a pressure threshold so that it feels like the trackpad is clicking due to physical movement even though it isn't.

Apple's trackpads are the most precise I've ever used - everything else feels cheap and finicky and frustrates me.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I'd recommend this mid-2019 MacBook Pro 13" for $1,400. I bought the 128 GB version at Best Buy for $1,099 ($1,299 - $100 sale price - $100 student discount) + tax. I don't need a lot of storage on laptop, but it sounds like your daughter may need the 256 GB version.

(https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1492879-REG/apple_muhp2ll_a_13_3_macbook_pro_with.html

If speed is less important than storage, there's this MacBook Air with 512 GB for $1,500.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1492903-REG/apple_z0x1_mvfh_01_bh_13_3_macbook_air_with.html

I use B&H often for free shipping and no tax.
Update, got the Mac Air 13.5/256k at the Apple store here. They threw in some headphones (beets 350 value?) all in just under $1300 with the student promotions. My daughter didn't wan't the extra features of the bar on the pro but wanted the latest and the greatest that 2019 has to offer so we opted for the slightly better battery capacity. She's never had an issue with processing power. She has an Air now and does have storage issues . As for storage, if she needs additional storage, we got a 2TB external drive (Passport Essentials). Either way, I have fulfilled my to buy laptops for the kids.

·
Super Moderator
22,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #97

·
Premium Member
863 Posts
In my retirement I dog/house sit. Fortunately my clients trust me enough to use their computers. Right now I'm using a clients HP Notebook. This computer has a touch screen, track pad and mouse. I much prefer using the mouse. It took me a couple of hours to figure out how to get Chrome as the browser, get rid of Bing (Bing truly sucks IMO) as the search engine and get to my personal stuff. Another client had an old Lenovo that was easy for me to set up. I don't know why this HP Notebook was so difficult. I definitely miss my 10 year old iMac desk top computer at home.

Another client's machine has the larger iMac desktop. That machine was so much easier to get to my personal stuff. Now that is a nice machine.

I'm thinking I could get a new MacBook Pro laptop and write it off on my income tax. Then I wouldn't have to rely on the good efforts of my clients.

·
Super Moderator
12,105 Posts
Update, got the Mac Air 13.5/256k at the Apple store here. They threw in some headphones (beets 350 value?) all in just under $1300 with the student promotions. My daughter didn't wan't the extra features of the bar on the pro but wanted the latest and the greatest that 2019 has to offer so we opted for the slightly better battery capacity. She's never had an issue with processing power. She has an Air now and does have storage issues . As for storage, if she needs additional storage, we got a 2TB external drive (Passport Essentials). Either way, I have fulfilled my to buy laptops for the kids.
I never really needed the "Pro" level of performance myself and appreciated the lightness of the "Air" I had before it. However, the Airs have become more powerful and the Pros have become lighter, so it takes more consideration when choosing between them now.

This article helped me decide:

I occasionally do some audio and video editing. I could have done without the Touch Bar, but now that I've used it for a couple of weeks I do see some advantages.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
longboat said:
... Crunched numbers in SAS on the 386 machine that ran Win3.1, IIRC, but I had to drop to DOS and run SAS in DOS-mode...
Wrote this little wrapper a while ago to be able to edit sas source code in UltraEdit, hit a single macro key (defined in uedit32 profile) and boom! the code would be parsed and sas execute and in a few seconds (or minutes ..) the log file would display. Great way to debug code.

<package>
<job id="SAS Call Wrapper">
<?job error="true" debug="true" ?>
<runtime>
<description>
Submits the SAS program specified in the argument as a batch SAS job, and opens the .log and .lst Files when finished.
</description>
<named
name="sasprog"
helpstring="Path/filename of the SAS Program you want to run."
type="string"
required="true"
/>
<example>
Example: WScript SasWrap.wsf /sasprog:"c:\myprog.sas"
</example>
</runtime>
<object ID="WinShell" progid="WScript.Shell"/>
<object ID="Network" progid="WScript.Network"/>
<object ID="FSO" progid="Scripting.FileSystemObject"/>
<script language="VBScript">
Option Explicit
Const DQ = """"
' Const vbOkOnly = 0
' Const vbInformation = 64
' Const vbCritical = 16
Call main
' ================================================
Sub main
Dim SASProg
Dim SASexe
Dim WorkingDir
Dim BaseFileName
Dim LogFile
Dim ListFile
Dim RunLine
Dim uedit
Const SHOWNORMAL = 1
Const SHOWMINIMIZED = 7
If WScript.Arguments.Count <> 1 Then
With WScript
.Arguments.ShowUsage
.Quit
End With
End If
SASProg = WScript.Arguments.Named("sasprog")
If Not FSO.FileExists(SASProg) Then
With WScript
.Echo "Problem--I don't find any such file as " & SASProg & "!"
.Quit
End With
End If
If LCase(FSO.GetExtensionName(SASProg)) <> "sas" Then
With WScript
.Echo "Problem--" & SASProg & " isn't a SAS Program!"
.Quit
End With
End If
BaseFileName = FSO.GetParentFolderName(SASProg) & "\" & FSO.GetBaseName(SASProg)
LogFile = BaseFileName & ".log"
ListFile = BaseFileName & ".lst"
uedit = "uedit32.exe "
' tried
' HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths
'
SASExe = WinShell.RegRead("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SAS Institute Inc.\The SAS System\9.3\DefaultRoot") & "\sas.exe"

If Not FSO.FileExists(SASExe) Then
WScript.Echo "Problem--sas.exe is not found where the registry says it should be!"
Else
RunLine = DQ & SASExe & DQ _
& " -sysin " & DQ & SASProg & DQ _
& " -log " & DQ & LogFile & DQ _
& " -print " & DQ & ListFile & DQ _
& " -nologo "

' MsgBox RunLine

' Call WinShell.Run(RunLine, SHOWNORMAL, True)
Call WinShell.Run(RunLine, SHOWMINIMIZED, True)

If CheckLog(LogFile) Then
MsgBox FSO.GetFileName(SASProg) & " ran with errors--check your log file!", vbOKOnly + vbCritical, "Uh-oh!"
Else
MsgBox FSO.GetFileName(SASProg) & " ran successfully!", vbOkOnly + vbInformation, "Yay!"
End If

If FSO.FileExists(ListFile) Then
WinShell.Run(DQ & ListFile & DQ)
End If
WinShell.Run( uedit & DQ & LogFile & DQ)
End If
End Sub
Public Function CheckLog(LogFilePath)
Dim booReturn
Dim LogFile
Dim Contents
Dim Rgx
Const FORREADING = 1
booReturn = True
Set LogFile = FSO.OpenTextFile(LogFilePath, FORREADING)
Contents = LogFile.ReadAll
Set Rgx = New RegExp
With Rgx
' For now we are ignoring warnings (since the expiration warnings are coming up)
.Pattern = "error "
'.Pattern = "error:|warning:"
.IgnoreCase = True
booReturn = .Test(Contents)
End With
CheckLog = booReturn
End Function
' WScript.Echo "Finished running " & WScript.ScriptName
</script>
</job>
</package>

81 - 100 of 102 Posts
About this Discussion
101 Replies
20 Participants
larryr
Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Honda Ridgeline Owners Club, forum community to discuss reviews, accessories, performance, care, mods, and more.
Full Forum Listing