Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,
I hit 90k last night and the Ridge is still working great ( as i'm sure with all of you ) my gas mileage had dropped thou.
I have a 07, changed the OEM tires at 50K bought a new set of OEMs Dec 09.
So im thinking of buying winter tires for the Ridgeline and using the LTXs for the summer.
Honda ( Halifax ) recommend either the Latitude X Ice II ( They said this was very good for ice and slippery roads )or the BF Goodrich Winter Slalom ( and this was amazing in the snow )
Can anyone recommend a winter tire?
Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
I'd get the Michelins. They are very good winter tires and my mechanic(s) say that they are the best for balance. They also don't wear as fast as Blizzaks. I only have Toyo G02's because Michelins were out of stock.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=135
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=111
http://www.tirerack.com/winter/tech/index.jsp

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/cars/tires-auto-parts/tires/winter-truck-tire-ratings/ratings-overview.htm
I don't necessarily agree with CR's findings, but posted this page (for subscribers) FYI. I would disregard any winter tire that doesn't have "excellent" or "very good" rating for ice braking.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
I'd be curious of how much you paid through tire rack kevint12.

I bought the Canadian Tire brand winter tires and thought they did a good job last winter, although we didn't get a lot snow.

I went with OEM steelies since they were almost as cheap as the aftermarket mult-fit rims.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Here you go. It worked out to about $180 a tire landed here in Milton. One of the largest reasons for me going this way was that no one here had stock of the Blizzak's they were sold out in that size everywhere. I also ordered a set of 18" Yokohama Prada Spec-X tires mounted to new 18" custom rims with tpms sensors included. I have to tell you Tirerack was pretty easy to deal with.

This what I paid for the tires.
4 245/65R-17 Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1 In Stock $124.00 $496.00

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
For those who go through an on-line vendor like tirerack.com, what do you do to tactfully convince a local tire shop to mount and balance them for you? Is it easy to find a shop that will just charge a reasonable labour rate?

I ask because, unlike previous years where the local Honda dealer actually had a hard-to-beat winter tire/wheel/install package offering, this year has no such thing. A family member has a new CR-V to fit for winter soon.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
The on-line vendors generally have a list of local dealers they work with for installation.[...]
Thanks! Surprisingly, entering my Canadian postal code in their ZIP code search worked and found two installers in my area. It looks like it's going to be about $50/tire including the fiddly bits. However, they don't do road force balancing and this exercise reminds me that I already know an independent garage that does do road force balancing for a good price. I'll check with the latter garage first.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I put Blizzak DMV1 on last year and they were outstanding. I wouldn't hesitate to get another set. I used Tirerack.
X2...I bought mine at Costco, great tire and quiet. I think with everything they were $1000 out the door. 13% HST included.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Here you go. It worked out to about $180 a tire landed here in Milton.
X2...I bought mine at Costco, great tire and quiet. I think with everything they were $1000 out the door. 13% HST included.
I paid $150 + 13% tax a tire for 245/70 17, with Free installation/balance through Canadian tire. $678.00 Total.

Plus my $90 OEM rims and $50 OEM TPMS. $633 Total tax included.

So with rims, tires, TPMS and free installation & balancing: $1,311.00

Thank god I get that little 5% knocked off my Insurance for having winter tires!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I took my TireRack purchased Blizzak DM-V1's to my local Honda dealer and they provided the Ridgeline steel rims, TPMS, install and balance for about $700 plus tax.
Had Blizzak on my 2 wheel drive Ranger and they were great. The only problem was in slush but I would expect that from any tire.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts