Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

It has been a long time since I have been on here. I am on my 3rd Ridgeline (Silver, DCP and now Black). This is the first one that I have put in a lift and bigger tires. At the same time I installed the lift I put on new Michelin AT2 245/70/17. Immediately I disliked the look as they looked way too small and not aggressive enough for the truck with the lift. A week later I have purchased a set of new 265/70/17 Goodyear Duratracs. I live in Ontario and wanted the snow rating and I got them for $200 each so I thought that was decent.

Anyways, I already know I am going to have to cut and grind. I know the topic has been gone over a million times I am sure. I am just wondering if anybody has actually taken detailed video or pics of how and what they cut to make any rubbing go away.

I want to do it before I bring them in for mounting so I don't have any issues on the way home. Any help is appreciated.

Lastly if anyone in the GTA is looking for a new set of Michelin AT2 245-70-17. I will be selling mine once the Duratracs are on.

Thank in advance
Woody

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am in a similar situation myself. I installed the lift last year and went with goodyear duratrac 245/75r17s. I love the look but had to lose the front mud guards and it still rubs at one specific spot while turning the wheel. I want to go with 265/70s as well but don't know where to modify the wheel well. If you figure it out please share.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Sorry no detailed pics but once you pull the mud flap and inner fender you will clearly be able to see the pinch weld that need to be ground down. I have 285/50/20 and had to loose my mud flaps cut out part of the plastic inner fender and grind the pinch weld all the way down. I had to go back several times and grind grind grind, test drive then grind some more. It will take a few times before you get it perfect.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Guys thanks for the reply.

Since there doesn't seem to be to many good pics or video of the process I guess I will just make my own and share.

JonB I think I will pull that inner fender back like you said, grind the pinch weld down as much as I can and try to get it done in one shot. I will then seal it, hit it with some rust protectant, throw some black paint over it and reattach the inner fender.

I must of been getting bored today waiting for the tires so I did this! I am not sure why the pics turned out the way they did on preview they were all correct.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Its all good but I would keep the skinnier tires for the winter driving. Makes a world of difference unless you do a lot of very deep snow off road or lakes where one would need to air down those fat meats.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks S.T.U.V, if you happen to have pics it would be much appreciated. My tires are to arrive tomorrow. I should be trimming by Saturday. My 245/70/17's are already rubbing so I am prepared to chop as much as I need to stuff the 265/70/17 Duratracs in that front wheel well.

Northern lights, my commute to work is about a km so I am ok with the wide tires in the snow. Any time I am not working in the winter I am usually ice fishing or snowboarding so everything you mentioned applies. My length of my commute is also the reason why I am not too worried about the drop in gas mileage I am going to have. I have already seen a small hit with the LTX at/2's.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do you think the life kit help out any as far as rubbing
Definitely not. I first removed the mud flaps, the impact shield on the driver side, grinded down the pinch weld all the way, removed part of the plastic inner fender. Then I pushed back the bottom part of the main fender where the tab that the inner fender is attached to.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I ran 245/75s without flaps and minimal grinding. I wanted my flaps back so the set I just mounted are 255/70 and they are about as large as I could imagine in that wheel well. Good luck with 265/70s. I'd like to see pics

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If I ever get finished work before the sun goes down I will take some pics (maybe this weekend) You can't even tell I did any cutting by looking at it.

I definitely would not go back to a smaller tire. I just don't find it is worth putting the lift in with the smaller tire.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well it was abnormally warm yesterday (14 Celsius) and I had 6 cans of dip sitting in my garage. Here is the end result.

I don't have a full truck pic yet because it was dark when I finished. However let me tell you the truck is starting to look ba ba ba ba baaaad! What a difference just changing the colour of the wheel made.

After the previous changes I was like enh!!! But dipping the wheel really brought everything together. No one has ever complimented the truck before. Usually it is the opposite. Today however I had two strangers just come up to me and start asking about the truck.

We are supposed to get 20-25cm of snow tomorrow so probably won't get full pic until next week

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts