Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,337 Posts
Thank you for the update. I look forward to hearing more about your experiences with the Ram and less about the Ridgeline. :)

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thank you for the update. I look forward to hearing more about your experiences with the Ram and less about the Ridgeline. :)
Z,

I can tell you that its big, its a pain to park, it uses gas like a thirsty dog in summer. However, it rides and drives small, has great handling for pushing nearly 6k lbs. My truck does have the 20 in tires so it does not have the role mollie handling of the stock tires for the Bighorn. The interior is dead on, it reminds me of all the great stuff we liked about the G1, the u connect radio is everything you could ever want, I have the standard 8 in, not the monster 12 in. The factory LED light package blows away the RTL-E light package, need to see how it compares with the Passport since that may be the direction of the G2. The dual glovebox is a lot like the original G1, the 4 doors have incredible amount of storage, RAM cold learn from Honda about rear seat under storage . The little RAM bins in the rear floor have a lot space, more than what it seems like. Not only are the rear doors huge, they are thin in both metal and interior door panel, while opening to nearly 90 degrees, you could fit an elephant through there… LOL. I'm glad we found the hack but it should have never been an issue. The bed is the bed, my truck does not have the RAM boxes, wished it did but the configuration I wanted it was not possible to find the truck with them. However I do think they are a good alternative. There is some aftermarket alternatives, the UnderCover Swing case boxes are a close alternative. https://realtruck.com/p/undercover-swing-case-truck-bed-toolbox/v/ram/truck-1500/2019/

RAM is up to the right idea with their e torque configuration they are offering, I don't have it nor did I want to pay for the $1k premium for how mild it is right now but I think its only a matter of time before they really grow that. Electric trucks are in the horizon, would love to see a hybrid full-size truck.

Right now I went with a RAM only because they are only full size truck that has the Honda vibe I like, funny to say that but it seems that RAM really wants to be the top selling truck. The product planers are really trying to hit the mark, you cants tell me that their split tailgate was not inspired by the dual action we have on the G1/G2. Their RAM boxes are also a reflection on having bed storage. Obviously the full size frame does not allow a trunk but they did the next best thing.

My situation is unique in that I need the towing capacity that can be had in a mid size but I don't want to drive a Colorado, so I made the full-size jump. So if the rumors are true and RAM does come out with a mid size truck then we may have a worthy competitor to the G2. Lets be honest, Dodge created the mid size 4 door truck market in 2000.

Some folks have brought up reliability, The reality is that most of the electronics and hardware are made by the same suppliers. Honda, Ram, Ford may spec something for their needs but the manufacturing is done by a supplier. The current technology of lane keeping assist, collision braking… etc etc Is all done by suppliers. So with that said, I think reliability would be comparable. I'm not a Drink the Coolaide kind of guy, but I will tell you that the interior design, switch gear, instrumentation and material quality is where it should be or even better than expected.

I'll chime in again when I have more miles, can't and won't make a direct comparison… two differetntrucks aimed at different markets. But I will tell you that if in fact RAM does a make a mid size truck… it may just be the benchmark to look at.

·
Super Moderator
12,337 Posts
The factory LED light package blows away the RTL-E light package...
I assume you mean in terms of appearance rather than performance? According to the IIHS's tests, both models' headlights provide similar levels of illumination everywhere except directly in front of the vehicle where the Ridgeline's LED low beams reached 120 feet farther ahead (that's the stopping distance from 60 MPH!) while its halogen high beams reached 40 feet farther ahead. The Ridgeline RTL-E/BE's headlights remain among the best in the business.

I do like the Ram's LED turn signals - even if they are a bit blinding. :)

I also like the Ram's ZF 8HP transmission - I've yet to experience a better automatic transmission. If only the 9HP shifted as well!

Honda is severely lacking in the towing capability, the payload is fine… but the towing is key. 7000 to 8000 lbs is what is needed.
...for a small minority of truck owners such as yourself, that is true. As Honda learned, 80% of truck owners tow less than 5,000 lbs. As Toyota learned, a larger minority wants more than a 5,000 lb. tow rating even though they don't actually tow that much. :)

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Hard to argue with you…

I can only imagine what Honda could be capable of doing in the truck market if only they took it as serious as the other segments they are in.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
So let me give you guys an update after 10 days and about a 1k miles.

First and foremost Honda screwed up by not letting Gary Flint do the G2, Terry McClure really got the G2 all wrong. So far, I miss the interior rear under seat storage, of course I miss the versatility of everything in the bed… swing tailgate, trunk and bed versatility. I would have loved to have had the Honda iVTM4, knowing how good it is, I did not bother getting the inferior RAM 4x4 and associated price and gas penalty.

However, I can tell you that as the motoring press is raving about the new RAM, if you look at all the things they rave about… a lot of those things were in the original G1. Large knobs for controls, versatility in the center console, wide opening door, wide swinging doors, fit and finish when it was built in Canada, I can continue on and on.

So I do miss the Swiss army knife of versatility of the G1/G2, its all the truck the majority of the persons who own it will ever need. The G2 is not all bad, it just left so much behind and was stoped before it reached all it could be. I have to agree with a lot of the comments that it is a Pilot with a bed, I think the Passport styling and tuning of the truck is the way that Honda should lean on the yet to be seen refresh. Honda is severely lacking in the towing capability, the payload is fine… but the towing is key. 7000 to 8000 lbs is what is needed. All the guys with G1's towing some big ole trailers prove it can be done. Csimo was right about Gary Flint and the kind of truck the G1 was built to be.

The mid size market is hot now, RAM is going to get in the mid size market. They already developed the split tailgate for the 1500, you bet it will be in the mid size truck. They have the RAM boxes that are are very good alternative to the trunk. So I'm glad for the Ridgeline to be in existence, lets hope that maybe Honda gets serious with the next one and not just be content to be the production filler it is today. In closing, I'm bummed that RAM proves that a good featured truck can be had and built, just wished Honda would do the same. I've owned Honda's for over 36 years in one way shape or form. I hope I can come back some day soon.
I completely agree about the direction Honda took with the GenII. Its too much of car and not enough truck for my needs/wants but it's still a better vehicle than its competitors for most truck buyers. I worry about long term reliability but if I did go to a full size it would be a Ram. . .

Ramboxes are simply not big enough for luggage or all the daily use tools that I carry in my GenI's trunk. They are also out there in the open and apparently super easy to pry open. Most people don't even know the Ridges trunk is there! A full size with large well secured storage that doesn't take up bed space or make the it look like a commercial vehicle would have my attention. The Ridge does it best for now. . .

scottw714-
To each own but the Tundra and Tacoma are crude beasts compared to the other vehicles in their classes. I have driven both and prefer my GenI (even with its dated infotainment) Tacoma's powertrain is poor and you are siitting on the floor up front. Not enough room for adults in back. Previous Gen's frames rusted out; not sure how much Toyota actually fixed? Tundra is a decade old platform and REALLY needs to be updated. It's a gas guzzling clumsy beast on the road. It does seem to be solidly made. . .

I pretty much hate every car dealership that I have ever dealt with. I wouldn't own any vehicle if I made that decision based on dealership experiences.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Some have asked about a comparison between the two, putting aside size and of course cargo and towing capability. The Ram will be just as competent as a daily driver as the G2, its actually quieter at speed. wind noise is none existent, the ride is about 90 percent of the G2. The G2 handles well and I know I will sorely miss the iVTM4 AWD. There will not be a lot of spirited driving on this Ram truck. The G2 is truly a sporty truck to drive and its fun at it. But I'm telling you that the 5.7 at full throttle is a sweet motor. I can not emphasize enough how much I will miss the in bed trunk and the dual action tailgate. It should really be in every truck. Honda has a winner there for a long time coming. As I get more miles and get more use I will report back on the good, bad and even the ugly of Ram versus a G2.

The one thing that rings true is what smufguy said, you have have to come to the realization that sometimes the vehicle that we love for all its good sometimes is not the the right vehicle. Maybe some day I'll be back to an RL but it may need to grow some… I don't think Honda will ever do that anytime soon. They are happy in their little niche, frankly so should all of you that own one, planning to own or better yet… want it for what it does best. I would own a G2 over every midsize truck in the market right now, thats how good the G2 is.
I don't remember who recommended the Tundra but I can say, as a former Tundra owner, that it was a fantastic truck on the road. Very reliable, very comfortable, great brakes, great power, and a thirsty engine. I wish that I still had my Tundra had had never gotten rid of it. It had the 5.7 V8 and I loved it.

I did the same thing a couple years ago. I had one of the last first generations a black SE, I ended up buying it because my X5 was going out of warranty and it had already become pretty expensive. I hastedly bought a G1 around xmas time. The dealership really was not pleasant, they took me for a bit of a ride and I let them. I really needed a pick-up because I had bought a summer place that needed a lot of work. I bought it because I needed a small truck and Honda's reputation was really good and I liked my wife's CRV. But I never really liked the truck, it did what it was suppose to but I hated the technology, or rather lack of it.

Anyways, scoot ahead about 6 months. The summer place came with a camper which I really started to dig, but it was old and needed replacing. I ended up getting a 30ft camper, I think the tow weight empty was around 6800 lbs. I test drive a year old Tundra & Titan, really liked both. The Tundra was better priced and I was getting ready to make an offer, but first I wanted to see what brand new was pricing at. Amazingly they were lower after incentives. I emailed a local dealer about one and they emailed me back a price I couldn't say no to. All that was left was haggling over the Ridgeline, which at this point was about 9 months old. I got nearly what I paid in trade and my payment was slightly less for a truck with so much more. One of the things that really rubbed me wrong at the dealership is the APR, I have an 800+ credit score and Honda still got me with 4.9%, whereas Toyota was either 1.9% or 0.9%, can't remember as it's been paid off for some time.

Even without the trailer, the Tundra is a way better fit for me. Yeah it drives like a pickup, but for Houston roads, a truck frame is much better than a car frame. Every car I have owned has needed major front end work after a couple years, I don't think the Tundra will, it's built like a tank on the front wend which at times doesn't make for a smooth ride. Toyota is literally years ahead on technology, one of the things I learned to really hate about the Ridgeline was the dealer told me I could play music using Bluetooth, that was a bold face lie and a deal-breaker. Unfortunately for me I figured that out after the purchase.

My X5 had all wheel drive so I though that was something I couldn't give up. It was a big selling point for me at the time and when I had price compared, I only looked for 4x4's. My Tundra is not a 4x4 and I am OK with that. But if I wasn't it's hard to argue that the Ridgeline isn't the best value and while the technology lacks, the G2 is more updated than G1. Also I like sitting up higher and there is tons more room. The camper is gone, I now have a 25 footer which I could probably tow with the Ridgeline, but after having the Toyota I would pick a Tacoma before the Ridgeline, that is how much I prefer Toyota to Honda.

I think my dislike for the Ridgeline is more a dislike of the Katy Honda dealership. I only mentioned a couple of things, there were many more. They were really my worse car buying experience and I am nearing 50 and it really does show that manufactures should pay attention to the folks selling their product as I will never again buy a Honda.

And as an added bonus to this whole story, when I took my Tundra home, my next door neighbor came over and asked why I didn't mention I was looking at Tundra as he would have goteen me a sweet deal. I mentioned that I got a sweet deal and that he told me he worked at Nissan and he said he is the service manager for Sterling McCall Toyota for a couple years, which is where I bought my truck. I need not worry about the level of service I receive so long at I buy Toyotas and he doesn't move to another brand.
Don't think that the Tacoma is a great truck just because it's a Toyota!! I bought a new 4x4 2017 Tacoma and it was a slug! I got rid of it when it had less than 2000 miles. I bought a 2017 BE and since then a 2019 RTL-E.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I don't remember who recommended the Tundra but I can say, as a former Tundra owner, that it was a fantastic truck on the road. Very reliable, very comfortable, great brakes, great power, and a thirsty engine. I wish that I still had my Tundra had had never gotten rid of it. It had the 5.7 V8 and I loved it.
Rumor is that the next Tundra will have a 3.5 turbo 6 with some sort of hybrid assist. I love that the Tundras are bulletproof and have everything you need. I think prices are coming down slightly as the new ones will come to market. Sees like the perfect truck to have that you can keep for 10 years with little maintenance, even better if you don't drive much.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Congrats on the RAM. The drivetrain is proven other than the exhaust manifold bolts (on the Hemi) breaking at around 80K. FCA factory warranties online are extremely cheap--I bought a 7 year 85000 MaxCare (Virtually everything) for a little over $1200. That will put your mind at ease should you keep the truck past the warranty period. We still have our 2013 G1 as my wife will never part with it. It's bullet proof compared to the G2 and when and if it becomes time to sell it, she'll probably go with another brand as the G2 has not yet won her over, looks wise. However for her needs it is the perfect vehicle.

·
Registered
4,258 Posts
After 5 years or so RUST issues with my Ram was bad, did they change thing up, I had one and took good care of it but i could not fight the rust, been awhile thats why Im asking. There are many mids comin out its great and will be interesting .Lets go so called mid, how do you compare the Colorado, Canyon, Frontier,and the new Ranger to your RL.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
So after many years of owning an RL, a couple of G1's and now a G2. I decided that I needed a different truck with more capabilities. I'm not going to sit here and bash the G2. To be honest, I wish that Honda would have kept the original formula of the G1 and updated the truck with all the G2 technology and features. I will sorely miss a lot of the things that made the G1 and G2 great, especially the trunk and the dual action tailgate. However I miss all the great features of the original G1 interior, the Pilot cabin is just not truck suited. I agree with the assessment that the magazines and what most of us have said, its all the truck most people will need and all the truck a person needs that does not want a truck.

So why did I change, in the near future I want to purchase a Travel Trailer, while looking at them that darn 5000 lbs towing limit kept coming up and bringing me down to what I could do or get. The next thing I have noticed is all the transmission failures that people are having while towing. If you don't tow or just have a light trailer or a trailer with a low profile or boat I think the RL is just perfect for most. After Honda put that TSB out for the transmission I saw the writing on the wall. Not only that, if you are not changing the fluid at least every other oil change you are looking for a world of hurt, especially if you are towing. I also had way too many issues with the RL, those folks in Alabama either don't put them together too well or I think the real culprit is that Honda has really cut back on the quality of parts. My previous 2013 Accord that was assembled in Ohio and more importantly was a car designed for world wide use was a better product from the get go.

So, this message is not about looking for attention, Im sharing this, that as a loyal Honda owner of over 30 years and various models, I had to finally admit that the Honda tool that I had was ill suited for the next job. I waited until I heard what was coming for 2020, I don't hold much faith on the move to the 9 Spd. It has had such a troubled history, even thought they have said its been sorted out, time will tell.

For those that want to know, I ended up buying a 2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn (new body) with the 5.7 Hemi. Its a mixed bag of a truck. It has a lot of the safety features, front parking sensor, rear parking sensors, blind spot monitoring, cross path monitoring with stop action, got the factory LED headlights front and back and a whole lot more. Its a mixed bag, but it has more of what I like but it still does not have a few things that I had on the G2 and will miss but I can live without.

Quality wise and longevity wise I think the new trucks will be comparable to what Honda has been putting out lately. I can tell you right off the bat that the build quality of the Ram is a whole lot better than that what I had seen on the G2. So time will tell, I miss the ease of parking, will miss the better MPG during non towing time and the versatility. But all those things could not overcome the real mechanical shortcomings I was looking at the G2. The ironic part is that Ram had a stupid deal this past month. I essentially pay for this new truck $23 more a month than I was paying with the G2, no down payment, same length loan terms. I got a $49,900 truck down to $35k. Today the same truck is $10k more expensive.

I will continue to frequent this site often, I like the group here. If I can contribute to the discussion I will, or better yet just continue to learn from the great discussions here. I will have a few things posted up on the Trading post for a couple of things I kept that would not have gained me any value but someone here can have at a great deal, so keep an eye out for that.
I also got rid of my 07 RL and bought an 18 Ram, I loved my Honda and I still miss it but the Ram is a very nice truck, the ride is comparable to the RL, it’s a lot quieter, and it gets better gas mileage, I do have the v-6 and just got back from a road trip and averaged 29 mpgs. Even though it’s a 6 it is a lot more peppy then the Rl. I do like sitting higher, but I liked the length of the RL better.
I looked at the new Rams at our local fair, and boy are they nice, I was particularly looking at the Rebel and the Laramie, the interiors are awesome. I could see an upgrade in the near future.
I owned mine for over a year now and have had no problems with it as of yet and hopefully I won’t, the only thing I don’t like about it are the tires, so I’m looking to purchase a little more aggressive tire this year.
Good luck on your truck.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Congrats on your Ram purchase! I just about purchased a Big Horn at the Denver car/truck show. The one I looked at was gorgeous, inside and out. Sticker was 60k but they were willing to let it go for quite a bit less. My concern was the payload. I shit you not that the door sticker showed 960 lbs. My RL shows 500 lbs more in carrying capacity so I passed. I drove an F150 as well, but I might as well drive a bus. Loved the truck, but it won't fit in my garage and is far more than I need. I'm sure you're well aware, but in case you haven't, look at the door sticker and make sure that between tongue weight, gear, and passengers you're good to go with the larger trailer. The Hemi will no doubt pull it like a dream:)

·
Registered
94 Posts

Don't think that the Tacoma is a great truck just because it's a Toyota!! I bought a new 4x4 2017 Tacoma and it was a slug! I got rid of it when it had less than 2000 miles. I bought a 2017 BE and since then a 2019 RTL-E.
How do you like the Ridgeline so far?

·
Registered
214 Posts
I completely agree about the direction Honda took with the GenII. Its too much of car and not enough truck for my needs/wants but it's still a better vehicle than its competitors for most truck buyers. I worry about long term reliability but if I did go to a full size it would be a Ram. . .

Ramboxes are simply not big enough for luggage or all the daily use tools that I carry in my GenI's trunk. They are also out there in the open and apparently super easy to pry open. Most people don't even know the Ridges trunk is there! A full size with large well secured storage that doesn't take up bed space or make the it look like a commercial vehicle would have my attention. The Ridge does it best for now. . .

scottw714-
To each own but the Tundra and Tacoma are crude beasts compared to the other vehicles in their classes. I have driven both and prefer my GenI (even with its dated infotainment) Tacoma's powertrain is poor and you are siitting on the floor up front. Not enough room for adults in back. Previous Gen's frames rusted out; not sure how much Toyota actually fixed? Tundra is a decade old platform and REALLY needs to be updated. It's a gas guzzling clumsy beast on the road. It does seem to be solidly made. . .

I pretty much hate every car dealership that I have ever dealt with. I wouldn't own any vehicle if I made that decision based on dealership experiences.
My 2011 Tundra was the best riding and driving vehicle that I've owned until I got my RTL-E. It was a gas hog though. Very comfortable on the road and had fabulous brakes.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I sold my '12 Ridgeline in '16 and bought a Ram 1500 diesel. I ran that for about 52K miles and averaged 25 MPG. No issues, but wary of running the little Italian diesel beyond the warranty due to all the bad press. After a couple years in a Grand Cherokee, I started looking at trucks again this fall, planning to buy next spring or summer. I really liked the new Ram 1500 Big Horn and had a dealer looking for one in Blue Streak, since '19 is apparently the last year for that color. I stopped at the Honda dealer to check the G2 and ask about when the '20s would be available. I ended up buying a blue '19 RTL-T because it meets my needs, has great features, and doesn't take up the whole garage.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts