Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 40 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
Joe... Is there a time frame limit that is recommended if you are not near the mileage mark? For example every 6 years or 105k miles which ever comes first?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Had mine done at the dealer where I bought and also have ALL my work done. They did the belt, water pump, and idler arm piece in one day for just over $800. I had 103,000 miles at the time. Now have just over 124,000 and all is well.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Replace timing belt and inspect water pump is a service 4. If you drive in very hot, very cold conditions, or you tow then you should replace the timing belt at 60000 miles but they only recommend that the water pump be checked at that point. Your maintainence minder should tell you when these services need to be done. I am ignoring my MM for oil changes and tire rotation (Every 5000 miles) but just following it for the other services needed.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Are you serrious?! 100 000miles!?! thats 160 000km!!! Toyota Hiace has timingbelt change every 90 000km, thats 56250miles.

it's a serrios loooong walk for the timing belt if it's designed to hold 100 000miles!!! must be the longest in the world!!

My Audi S4 93mod had 175000miles on the meeter when i sold it, it had then changed the timing belt 3times....

·
Registered
10,401 Posts
It's 105K for the Pilot. I'd expect the Ridgeline to be the same.

·
Registered
443 Posts
This uses a timing belt right? Not a timing chain?
Are they not making drive line belts on harleys (And some others) that last the lifetime of the bike?
Maybe the quality of the parts may finally be catching up?
Keep in mind there are some of us that have very high mileage from highway driving which we put on our Ridgeline's in a couple of years and others that may wear them out faster.
I did mention 60000 miles it is replaced if you tow or do a lot of city driving right. Not everyone will have the same replacement mileage. It will depend a lot on your type of driving.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I am nearing this service and dread the expense.
Has anyone bought the parts and had someone perform the labor?
Any recommendations for buying parts online?
Aftermarket?

Thanks.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I bought the parts from Majestic Honda, timing belt, serpentine belt, water pump, spark plugs. I bought two gallons of coolant from the local Honda dealer. Tried to buy the tensioner but the service dept said to change only if leaking, and that they normally don't even stock it. A few threads on this forum recommend the OEM water pump.

Local shop says they'll do the job for $400. I bought the crankpulley holder tool and the Helm manual and plan to try it myself.

Product Number Description Quantity Unit Price Total Price
38920-RCA-A03 BELT, COMPRESSOR (MITSUBOSHI) 1 $26.01 $26.01
14400-RCA-A01 BELT, TIMING (197YU20 VE-501) (UNITTA) 1 $40.23 $40.23
9807B-5517W SPARK PLUG (IZFR5K11) (NGK) 6 $13.21 $79.26
19200-RDV-J01 WATER PUMP (YAMADA) 1 $95.28 $95.28

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Well today the Ridgeline left my wife high and dry. It was almost 100* heat and it would not start. I drove over and gave her the Mazda and called a wrecker. The driver told me he suspected the fuel pump. He did a little test and could not hear it operate at all.
So it is at Honda Motors and I wait for the bad news tomorrow a.m.

Hope its not too bad. We just turned 58,000 miles but we have had the Ridge since April 2005. :act002::act002:

·
Registered
443 Posts
Tensioner leaking??? This didn't look right so I did a search and found out the tensioner pulley is $37 and doesn't have fluid at all.
Now the tensioning actuator is in the water pump (Or uses the fluid anyway)and is a $77 part. I guess this creates the tension on the tensioner. So which should be replaced the tensioning pulley or the actuator or both? Prices I got from partsgeek just for a quick reference.

·
Registered
10,401 Posts
The hydraulic tensioner.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I had the timing belt and water pump replaced around 100k miles. I've been having a problem with the CEL flashing and throwing a random misfire (P0300) code. The problem ended up being a leaking timing belt tensioner. Is this a common problem in the Ridgeline?

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
I had the timing belt and water pump replaced around 100k miles. I've been having a problem with the CEL flashing and throwing a random misfire (P0300) code. The problem ended up being a leaking timing belt tensioner. Is this a common problem in the Ridgeline?
Doesn't sound like a bad timing belt installation or something they failed to catch when they replaced it for you?

·
Super Moderator
8,121 Posts
Well today the Ridgeline left my wife high and dry. It was almost 100* heat and it would not start. I drove over and gave her the Mazda and called a wrecker. The driver told me he suspected the fuel pump. He did a little test and could not hear it operate at all.
So it is at Honda Motors and I wait for the bad news tomorrow a.m.

Hope its not too bad. We just turned 58,000 miles but we have had the Ridge since April 2005. :act002::act002:
Don't forget the TSB on the Fuse for the fuel pump.

TSB# ???

Engine Problems Force Honda Recall

March 20, 2007 08:47 AM EDT
Honda Motor Corp. said Monday that it was recalling about 165,000 vehicles from the 2005-06 model years in the United States to deal with potential engine problems.

Honda said the recall affected 2005 models of the Acura RL, TL and TSX sedans, 2005 Honda Accord coupes, sedans and hybrids, 2005 Odyssey minivans and 2006 Ridgeline trucks.

The move is part of a global recall because of similar problems, said Honda spokesman Chris Martin. Details on the total number of vehicles and the number of countries where the vehicles were sold were not immediately available, he said.

Martin said the automaker discovered that sealer material leaked onto a coil wire inside the fuel pump relay on some of the vehicles. The wire can become brittle and snap, causing the engine to stall or fail to start.

Honda has received "multiple complaints" of vehicles stalling or failing to start, Martin said. There have been no injuries or crashes linked to the defect.

Dealers will inspect and replace the fuel pump relay free of charge. The recall is expected to begin in early April.

Owners can contact Honda at 1-800-999-1009.

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
bought mine new 5th honda now 143,000 all my hondas had well over 100,000 never had this work done???
If you don't have the receipt from the previous owner showing the work was done (the VIN number on the receipt matches your truck), then you should assume it has not been changed.

Because the Ridgeline engine is an interference design, if the belt snaps it's highly likely to cause severe valve & piston damage. You'll be lucky if all you have to replace is a head...

My advice would be to stop driving it, schedule this service (it's expensive -- just warning you), and get your truck flat-bedded to the mechanic.

Besides the timing belt, you'll want a new water pump and new belt tensioner. The additional parts cost is relatively low, but you'll save on labor costs. You should also be getting new seals & gaskets for everything that was removed.

Chip H.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Did this at 105k on my '98 Accord and 06 RTL. The RTL coast $1500 but that included plugs, belts, pump, fluids, a leaking xmission seal replacement, and a few other things.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Are they not making drive line belts on harleys (And some others) that last the lifetime of the bike?
One of my friends just had his drive line belt break on his 07' Ultra Classic with under 20k miles on it. Is that the life expectancy on a Harley?

21 - 40 of 131 Posts