Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

121 - 131 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Just called my dealership. they quoted me $951.80 for plugs, timing belt, water pump, coolant flush and oil change.
Sounds a little steep to me. What does everybody else think?

Chris

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,584 Posts
Sounds pretty much in the ballpark to me. I've heard higher and lower. I currently have pricing of $900-$940 from both a local dealer and a local independent shop for more or less the same work.

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,044 Posts
I've been collecting quotes for the last week or so for my wife's V6 Accord. Many of the same or similar parts will be replaced on it as will be done on my RL next month. So far, three dealerships have gotten back to me. The first was $1033.50, the second was $839.86 and the third was $747.68. That's with changing the TB, WP, serpentine belt, cam and crank seals, coolant and tensioner. So as you can see, there's about a $300 swing in pricing within about a 50 mile radius. My issue is the least expensive dealership is the farthest away and the most expensive is the closest. I'm hoping to take these other quotes into the closest dealer and see if they'll match it.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Looks like a good deal to me.

·
Registered
307 Posts
XD9....

I would replace the timing belt, serpentine belt, water pump, hydraulic tensioner and plugs. I'd skip the serpentine belt tensioner, valve cover gaskets and seals for now.

Keep your oil changed and you should be good til 220k.

The parts I mentioned except for the serpentine belt require the major work to be done.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I'd be interested to know if anyone didn't replace some of those parts at the first timing belt change and ended up having to do it later before the second timing belt change, although our sample size might be a bit too small for anything useful to come of it.
"Having to do it later" quite likely means the tensioner failed, your motor jumped time, and you destroyed your interference engine. Just spend the additional $75 and do it while everything's apart.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Wow, I'm guessing that's only labor and not parts. Even then, that's a great price. I really wish I lived closer because I'll be due for it in the spring.
That is a "suck you in the door price" to do the job right you should be replacing (and I am sure the service writers have this speech down pat) Water Pump, Timing Belt, Timing Belt Tensioner, Pulley, Serpintine Belt, Serpentine belt tensioner & pulley...that will be $900.00...Go online to HandA, purchase timing belt kit (or get your dealer to match price) My dealer (with a 20% off online coupon) labor charge was $400.00

·
Registered
33 Posts
my mechanic said, inspect the cam and crank seals...if they are not leaking leave em alone...sometimes when they are changed they start leaking later !!

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,044 Posts
That is a "suck you in the door price" to do the job right you should be replacing (and I am sure the service writers have this speech down pat) Water Pump, Timing Belt, Timing Belt Tensioner, Pulley, Serpintine Belt, Serpentine belt tensioner & pulley...that will be $900.00...Go online to HandA, purchase timing belt kit (or get your dealer to match price) My dealer (with a 20% off online coupon) labor charge was $400.00
I already had it done in March at a dealership for $710. Thanks for the tip, though!

my mechanic said, inspect the cam and crank seals...if they are not leaking leave em alone...sometimes when they are changed they start leaking later !!
Exactly what my dealership said, too. Mine were looking just fine with no signs of leaking at all. They said I should be good to go at least until the next timing belt change (hopefully).

Do the plugs yourself for $65.00
Completely agree. Mine was even a bit cheaper as I was able to snag 6 NGK plugs from Amazon for about $58 shipped. Very straight-forward process to change them on your own. Great project for a mild DIY'er and cake job for a more experienced tinkerer!

121 - 131 of 131 Posts