Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently broke timing belt. Is there any chance the valves are not damaged? How would I know without removing the heads? I'm considering replacing the belt and hoping for the best.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Compression maybe? Details please..miles, original belt, how do you know timiing belt broke? Assume you would need to put belt on to see? Someone may know more details to check valve..if original belt and timing belt broke it would be first i heard of one breaking

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It appears something got caught between the belt and crank position sensor wiring and cover because it's all chewed up.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Pressure test could be done w/o TB installed, but would be a REAL PIA. You'd need to incrementally rotate the cam shafts together with the crank to be sure you did not have valves interfering with pistons (same as installed TB would do). Then you'd still need to know the position to put each cylinder (valves closed) to measure, and you'd then need a method to pressure test. There is NO WAY you want to undertake that.
The conventional approach to test compression requires the TB installed so that the engine can turn. And until you know if you have bent valves, you really don't want to continue turning the engine over.
Best approach, if you don't want to pull heads, would be to install TB as if everything is OK, making sure all shafts are in proper position of course; then with spark plugs removed and tranny in neutral, rotate engine manually (wrench on crankshaft bolt) to see if you run into a "blockage" via stuck/bent valves (you'll get minor resistance from cam/valve springs). Be sure to turn the engine (crankshaft) over 2 full 360 degree rotations. If nothing blocks rotation, it now becomes a real crapshoot by turning the engine over with the starter (still no plugs) just to listen to how she spins (don't leave your wrench on the crank bolt!). If still OK, NOW do your compression test, and if all is STILL OK, put in your plugs & fire her up (& hope for the best). You 'could' get lucky, but odds are against you unless the truck was stopped and at idle when TB let go. If you're only semi-lucky, you'll at least find your bent valves with the compression test (at least which cylinder they are in), and you can go from there, presuming no other damage. Yes, you have to pull the heads to replace valves. You can change them yourself for cheap & pray no valve guide damage (cheapest route if you're cash strapped), or you can take the heads in to have them at least inspected, if not completely done (valve job), which of course is a few good bucks more than just an inspection. Good luck which ever way you choose.

FYI, it is possible to get bent valves in some cylinders & not in others.... and it's possible that bent valves is the only damage suffered. But you'll only know when you get there.

·
Registered
87 Posts
relatively new to the forum, but not new to engines. with an interference engine, I have trouble imagining getting by without damage. seems likely that at least one (likely more) valve is in position to smack the a piston once the valve train stops. When the valve train stops, the enginewill not be able to run, but the crank, rod, pistons, fly wheel torq converter are a lot of mass that was spinning at the time of the failure and it will not stop immediately.

that said, hope I'm wrong.
good luck.

·
Registered
4,345 Posts
Damn, the last few days there have been new members with some major issues. Me don't like. I'll be following this one too but have to go and split some wood, its going to get cold.

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
See if your mechanic has a fiber optic camera he can run down the spark plug hole to take a look.

Chip H.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I replaced original timing belt about a year ago when it had 150k miles on it. Yesterday, When I took off the timing cover a nut fell out. It was one of the nuts that held the crank position sensor. I don't know if that caused the belt to get chewed up or if the belt knocked it off afterwards. It's all water under the bridge now.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
See if your mechanic has a fiber optic camera he can run down the spark plug hole to take a look.

Chip H.
I don't have a mechanic , couldn't afford one. I am the mechanic. That's a good idea though, but I don't have a camera like that.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How many miles on the TB?
It's a replacement I put in about a year ago, it only has around 10k on it. It looks like something got loose in there and chewed up the belt and everything around it. I wasn't in the vehicle when it happened.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
relatively new to the forum, but not new to engines. with an interference engine, I have trouble imagining getting by without damage. seems likely that at least one (likely more) valve is in position to smack the a piston once the valve train stops. When the valve train stops, the enginewill not be able to run, but the crank, rod, pistons, fly wheel torq converter are a lot of mass that was spinning at the time of the failure and it will not stop immediately.

that said, hope I'm wrong.
good luck.
All of that's right, but the variable between different "interference" engines is just "how much" interference there is. Sometimes there's just barely a bit of contact between piston & valve, AND if those are made of good materials (bad experience with DaeWoo), you can find that the valve might just bend out of the way when it makes contact. No catastrophic damage via broken pistons, loose valve heads flying around, etc. Just replace some valves & be on your way. BUT, that just depends on the engine. That DaeWoo engine I mentioned (in a Chevy Aveo) ended up with a hole in the side of the block when the flailing connecting rod went thru it, after the disintegrating piston came off & ground itself up, after the broken valves crashed the inside of the cylinder in an engine that continued to spin (young woman driving did not know to go to neutral when she heard all of that clatter).

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
All of that's right, but the variable between different "interference" engines is just "how much" interference there is. Sometimes there's just barely a bit of contact between piston & valve, AND if those are made of good materials (bad experience with DaeWoo), you can find that the valve might just bend out of the way when it makes contact. No catastrophic damage via broken pistons, loose valve heads flying around, etc. Just replace some valves & be on your way. BUT, that just depends on the engine. That DaeWoo engine I mentioned (in a Chevy Aveo) ended up with a hole in the side of the block when the flailing connecting rod went thru it, after the disintegrating piston came off & ground itself up, after the broken valves crashed the inside of the cylinder in an engine that continued to spin (young woman driving did not know to go to neutral when she heard all of that clatter).
I sure hope so.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So far so good, I've got the new belt on, spun it by hand, no noises t all, pulled front three plugs compression is good. The back three look like a hassle so I'm gonna skip it. Ordering parts soon,

·
Registered
2 Posts
I live in the Republic of Panama and I have a 2010 Ridgeline with approx. 120,000 miles. Heard tapping sound in the engine, took it to a local mechanic, he had no idea what the problem might be. I kept driving it thinking I would take it to the local Honda dealer one day . Then the engine stopped. Another local mechanic diagnosed it as timing belt, apparently it did not break but came off the pulley. He pulled the heads, three bent valves. Had the heads pressure tested they were ok. Replacing the valves cleaning up everything, new pump, new timing belt kit installed. The bill is supposedly going to be around $3,000. Forgetting that I am in a great little banana republic where labor is less but parts are never in stock, is this a reasonable price? Perhaps my description is to vague but would like to know if this gringo is getting taken or not.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts