Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,145 Posts
I'm not sure when Honda removed the date interval on timing belt inspection/changes. But every single timing belt driven Honda engine that I owned previous to 2010 had a date interval of 7 years. That interval was also shortened by certain atmospheric conditions, temperature and humidity as well as driving conditions, snow/ice - dust/sand. Rubber doesn't last for ever even when it's not being used. I drive in a northern climate with temp ranges of +30*C to -30*C and drive in dusty, salty road conditions. Therefore I opt for 70k miles or 5 years, what ever comes first.

Just look at a set of winter tires that have been stored in a hot shed every summer. They usually start dry cracking before the tread is even half worn.

So, at the very least you should probably pop off the covers and inspect the belt.

Personally, I would do the services required for a belt change, it is 10 years old!

Google said:
According to the Honda maintenance schedule, your Honda's timing belt and water pump generally needs to be inspected and/or replaced every 7 years or 60,000-100,000 miles traveled.
Too each his own! 🍻

·
Registered
345 Posts
I doubt the soft compounds used to make tires run smoothly are the same as those used in timing belts... The majority of timing belt failures are due to misalignment, bad tension, excessive load or worn pulleys... Pretty certain that a physical inspection will confirm your belt is fine...

·
Registered
65 Posts
You'd need to get the belt inspected. I changed my 08 ridgeline's timing belt when is was 8 years old . The belt was full of cracks and potentially on the verge of failure. Though in my case I had twice your mileage @ 100K miles

·
Registered
201 Posts
I changed my timing belt last year with roughly 130k miles and 15 years on the orginal belt. All driven in high temperature summer conditions. All of the components looked brand new almost, including the timing belt. I was surprised at the condition. My understanding is more damage is done by faulty replacement jobs, as opposed to belt failure—so choose your mechanic wisely. That being said the belt needs to be changed as Preventative maintenance. YMMV

·
Registered
365 Posts
Stress on some of the timing belt teeth from sitting for long stretches of time is something I'd be most concerned with. I have a 2012 with less than 90k miles that I drive daily and plan to wait until 105000 miles.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I changed my timing belt last year with roughly 130k miles and 15 years on the orginal belt. All driven in high temperature summer conditions. All of the components looked brand new almost, including the timing belt. I was surprised at the condition. My understanding is more damage is done by faulty replacement jobs, as opposed to belt failure—so choose your mechanic wisely. That being said the belt needs to be changed as Preventative maintenance. YMMV
I had 3 friends who drove vehicles with simular age and high mileage as yours .

I warned all three to change their belts before something bad happened. Well none listened and within one year all thee vehicles suffered a timing belt failure.

In your case you were lucky

·
Registered
201 Posts

I warned all three to change their belts before something bad happened. Well none listened and within one year all thee vehicles suffered a timing belt failure.

All three, huh. That is interesting. You would think the third guy would have learned after seeing two fail in short order.

I had to look twice at the old components to make sure they were the old components as that is how good they looked. I looked at the old belt for ANY signs of cracking or stress--none. There are many people on here who went well beyond the 100K interval. I am not sure if I have read about any failures of a belt breaking on this forum, but I am sure it has happened. Maybe some more consistent forum members can confirm?

I just sold a 2002 Thunderbird with 33,000 miles on it and original timing belt, the car ran perfectly and yes, a bad replacement job can be more problematic than the belt itself...
One of the reasons I waited so long was because finding a reputable mechanic I trusted at a reasonable price was difficult. There aren't many preventative maintenance jobs that will literally destroy your engine if not done correctly.

·
Registered
65 Posts
All three, huh. That is interesting. I had to look twice at the old components to make sure they were the old components as that is how good they looked. I looked at the old belt for ANY signs of cracking or stress--none. There are many people on here who went well beyond the 100K interval. I am not sure if I have read about any failures of a belt breaking on this forum, but I am sure it has happened. Maybe some more consistent forum members can confirm?
In my case the timing belt rubber was cracked all the way around when changed. It was 8 years old and 100 000 miles at the time. Glad i changed it when i did. It was done at my local honda dealership.

And the three vehicles with timing belt failures in my privious post was a 1998 Honda Crv, 2000 Honda Crv and a 2002 Kia spectra. This was in 2014 if I remember correctly and all three vehicles were in the 120 - 130K miles range

·
Registered
2014 Sport
4,239 Posts

For what its worth, we have yet to see an original timing belt failure reported on this forum, just failures of belts that have already been replaced. Plenty of examples over the years of maintenance neglected belts that have gone well over 100k and 10years. Honda doesn't have an age based recommendation but rather when it is prompted by the minder. That ends being at the oil change interval closest to 105k miles. If you qualify for the severe schedule then you ignore the MM and change at 60k(ish) So in the case of the original poster, the MM prompt will be YEARS away. It will come down to a personal calculation. On my 14 with 60k, I will wait till the 10 year mark. I do ALL of my own maintenance but will probably have a dealer do the timing belt. I definitely won't use aftermarket parts on the T-belt.

·
Registered
382 Posts
For what its worth, we have yet to see an original timing belt failure reported on this forum...
Fact check needed!

The OP hasn't been back, and of course this thread takes on a life of its own. I'll bite: I agonized over doing the TB service after some 15 years of ownership (and 100K miles) and finally did it with a local service company not Honda. To them it was no big deal, and in fact once it was done the truck ran noticeably quieter--the valve adjustments no doubt.

Yeah it's a lot of money to spend on an old truck, especially when it was "running just fine thank you", but now I don't worry about the belt breaking any more.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts