Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I broke down and had my Timing Belt service done yesterday, Friday, at my local Honda Dealership. I had plans to not change it & get a Gen 2 but Honda want get Gen 2 out quick enough. I decided I've pushed my luck long enough & it was time for my RL's first Timing Belt service.

The belt doesn't look terrible for 215K miles. At the rate I change my Timing Belt the new Gen 2 should be out. If not I'll change it again at 430K.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
That's one good looking belt.

·
Registered
790 Posts
looks great for a 215k timing belt, atleast we know that it can go that far and even more. Honda only recommends it so that you are in the safe zone but the quality shows that it can handle more.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Keep in mind fellas that there are multiple OEM suppliers for these belts to Honda; and they may not all be of the same robust durability.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Thanks for posting...my first was about 150000 miles. I agree though make sure original quality belt is used..

My experience is a water pump failure , or other. Pulley issue causes belt to break.

Did you change out the pump etc?

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,604 Posts
Keep in mind fellas that there are multiple OEM suppliers for these belts to Honda; and they may not all be of the same robust durability.
Maybe he could look on his belt to see if there is any indication of a manufacturer other than the Honda stuff??

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
Checking for a supplier might be a good idea. But checking if you have the same one would be a little difficult I think.

It may help when it comes to selecting a replacement but I don't think I would be very concerned about how long the replacement would last unless I plan to go run the truck well over 200K.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for posting...my first was about 150000 miles. I agree though make sure original quality belt is used..

My experience is a water pump failure , or other. Pulley issue causes belt to break.

Did you change out the pump etc?
Yes, I changed the water pump.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
looks great for a 215k timing belt, atleast we know that it can go that far and even more. Honda only recommends it so that you are in the safe zone but the quality shows that it can handle more.
I felt the same way, belt looked fine.

Regardless of how long I keep this truck the next time I change the Belt will be never or well past 400K miles.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I broke down and had my Timing Belt service done yesterday, Friday, at my local Honda Dealership. I had plans to not change it & get a Gen 2 but Honda want get Gen 2 out quick enough. I decided I've pushed my luck long enough & it was time for my RL's first Timing Belt service.

The belt doesn't look terrible for 215K miles. At the rate I change my Timing Belt the new Gen 2 should be out. If not I'll change it again at 430K.
AG87BlkLX, have you taken your RL on any long trips w/ the original belt?

I usually change timing belts around the recommended time, give or take 10k miles or so.

One time I let the wife's car go 30k miles over the recommended miles for service since everything was running fine and I had a busy year traveling for work.

We took a road trip which was a 15hr drive. Around 12hrs into the trip I noticed sluggish performance and could hear light valve clatter. I drove the remaining 3hrs and parked the car. When I started the vehicle the next day, the valve clatter was louder so I turned off the vehicle.

Her vehicle has a interference motor and I didn't want to cause any valve/cylinder damage by continuing to drive it or let it run.

A local dealership wanted $500 just to change the belt.
I ordered new rollers; belt tensioner; timing belt; water pump and all gaskets from RockAuto for well under $500 and changed everything myself.
The old belt looked brand new, but figured it was slightly stretched or the tensioner was weak.

After the sevice, the vehicle ran like the day we bought it.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've been on trips in my RL without any problems. I go to FL at least once a year. My son plays travel baseball so we are traveling somewhere all the time. This year we've been to Atlanta twice & KY once. These aren't 15 hour trips like you mentioned.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Im having the WP/TB and other associated parts changed out this wknd by (unfortunately) the local Honda stealership, 2007 with 115+, I bought it used with 45,000.
The Stealership said the belt tensioner was a beast to get out but no other issues came.

This RL is my daily driver, plus it takes the family on vacations as far as San Diego, Vegas, Colorado, and Oklahoma. I do all the other maintenance that doesn't require serious powertools. I've never had a leak or any issue that was cause for down time. Hopefully this luck will continue after the stealership returns it.

**UPDATE**
So the stealership didnt rake me over the coals as expected, $560.98 out the door, Im thinking because I supplied the parts. Either way, Im happy, and I just did a 1300 mile turnaround from California, with zero issues and zero leaks.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I've been on trips in my RL without any problems. I go to FL at least once a year. My son plays travel baseball so we are traveling somewhere all the time. This year we've been to Atlanta twice & KY once. These aren't 15 hour trips like you mentioned.
Nice to hear, Normally the wife uses her vehicle mainly as a 'grocery' getter, but I think the long drive stress is what is what exposed a weakness. I'm just glad it was on the return trip that it happened.

Im having the WP/TB and other associated parts changed out this wknd by (unfortunately) the local Honda stealership, 2007 with 115+, I bought it used with 45,000.
The Stealership said the belt tensioner was a beast to get out but no other issues came.

This RL is my daily driver, plus it takes the family on vacations as far as San Diego, Vegas, Colorado, and Oklahoma. I do all the other maintenance that doesn't require serious powertools. I've never had a leak or any issue that was cause for down time. Hopefully this luck will continue after the stealership returns it.
COOPER, once the tire; covers; engine mount & pump are out of the way, everything is right there and easy to change.

I would check to make sure that the 'associated' parts include new tensioner & rollers. My buddy was a Dealership mechanic for 20+ years and he said that if he wasn't instructed to change certain parts that he wasn't allowed to change them. Many people want to save a few bucks now not thinking about long term problems. If he did find a bad part, he would let the dealership know and they would call the owner to authorize the replacement.

I was floored when he told me that he also wasn't allowed to use anti seize or loctite on any bolts due to liability issues. This may just be the dealerships that he worked at, but just about every bolt on my vehicle gets one or the other and a few extra lbs. of torque if a 'wet' torque isn't specified. (now this will prolly start a argument....lol)

Reactions: don1968

·
Registered
579 Posts
Here is a vid to give those some idea of the process. I counted the belt ribs between my marks and one thing I'd point out is to make sure the cam sprockets don't move and start the belt install here making sure the marks line up and all the slack is around by the tensioner. Once installed, roll the crank by hand making sure the marks come back around and all line up before starting the engine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIGYg051tBw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oAlIEvvktw

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here is a vid to give those some idea of the process. I counted the belt ribs between my marks and one thing I'd point out is to make sure the cam sprockets don't move and start the belt install here making sure the marks line up and all the slack is around by the tensioner. Once installed, roll the crank by hand making sure the marks come back around and all line up before starting the engine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIGYg051tBw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oAlIEvvktw
Nice video. Someone could easily use your video to change their Timing Belt. It's not a super difficult job but it is time consuming.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts