Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched to forum and couldnt find a similar posting.

Ok, I'm new to Honda but have fallen in love with the Ridge. I know historically Honda has used a timing belt on their engines. However, I recently heard the 4 cyl is now using a timing chain. So, do we have the usual 90k mi concern of a belt or is there a chain in that engine?

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Hello Tux, the manual reads that the timing belt should be replaced at 105,000 miles (normal driving conditions). Hope this helps your research. :cool:

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
bongus said:
Hello Tux, the manual reads that the timing belt should be replaced at 60,000 miles (normal driving conditions). Hope this helps your research. :cool:
I thought the V-6 engines had a chain...that sux that it's a belt considering how expensive it is to change.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
then what the deal with the 105,000 mile tune up? is that the time to change the timing belt for honda when you reach or come near that mileage?
seing a reference to a 105,000 mile major tune up usuall tells me that the timing belt is a chain.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Bongus,

60k isn't appealing, how much does that run, parts and labor? Sorry, my nissan had a chain and went forever or last I saw it at 150k it was still running strong. It's not topic that's going to keep me from buying the RL but I just want to know what I'm getting into.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Belts require more maintenance, but they are less complex and more importantly, they are quieter.

The belt changes for 4 cylinder Honda engines usually run about $250 (not at dealer).

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Looks like you guys were right:

From here:
Smart Maintenance Warnings: Includes oil life and service code displays for tire rotation, air cleaner replacement, ATF replacement, spark plugs, timing belt, coolant and VTM-4 fluid service

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
kanji said:
then what the deal with the 105,000 mile tune up? is that the time to change the timing belt for honda when you reach or come near that mileage?
seing a reference to a 105,000 mile major tune up usuall tells me that the timing belt is a chain.
I seem to have found that answer also:

From here:
105,000 Mile Tune-Up Intervals

Before 105,000 miles of driving, the only maintenance necessary is routine inspections and fluid and filter changes. At 105,000 miles, the valves should be adjusted, the timing belt should be replaced, the water pump should be inspected and the iridium-tipped spark plugs should be replaced.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
vertrkr said:
The 60,000 mile belt change is for abnormal driving conditions else it's at 105,000.
Thanks Vertrkr, I read the manual too quickly. Hopefully I did not upset too many people.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
bongus said:
Thanks Vertrkr, I read the manual too quickly. Hopefully I did not upset too many people.
Hehe, no prob now we got it straight. I just remember that as I did the same thing when first reading the manual and was shocked at such an early change and then I re-read it. Still wish it was a chain but oh well.

Might want to edit your first post just so there's no confusion though.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
how much does it really cost to change a timing belt & water pump for honda's. I haven't owned a honda since Accord 94 came out and bought a VW passat in 99. I know that VW passat timming belt cost around $485.00 only timming belt and tensioner, basically parts & laber cost. Is it cheaper or about the same??

·
Registered
996 Posts
kanji said:
how much does it really cost to change a timing belt & water pump for honda's. I haven't owned a honda since Accord 94 came out and bought a VW passat in 99. I know that VW passat timming belt cost around $485.00 only timming belt and tensioner, basically parts & laber cost. Is it cheaper or about the same??

Yikes ! I replaced the timing belt on my Corrolla FX 16 at the dealer, and it was only $200.00.

·
Registered
578 Posts
kanji said:
depends on where you go. Dealer, expect to pay that much. Local trusted mechanic, probably half that. Atleast that is the case with Honda 4 cylinders (of which I've had many)

·
Registered
954 Posts
My manual says you only need to replace the timing belt if you drive regularly in +110F or -29F weather or tow trailers...now to me this means no replacement required if you don't fall into that category...:confused:

·
Registered
346 Posts
By the time my Ridgeline gets to 105,000 miles, it will probably be on it's third or fourth owner. So I don't worry about stuff like this. My son had one changed on a '92 Accord, it cost $179.00 including the water pump.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Not to be smart, but go out and look under the hood at your engine. Your timing belt is behind the large fan/serpetine belt. There is a lot of stuff there that has to come off or lossened up to get to the timing belt, then it has to be taken off and put on correctly :eek: Then everything has to go back together. While in there inspection of the water pump and other items warrant checking as it would be silly to have to take it all apart again in a few thousand miles or less to fix something else. Therefore a $700 - 900 price tag is what it may cost you. Shade tree mech may do it for less, but maker sure he will inspect the other parts to make sure they are OK.:D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts